Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 11:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Problem: MPFI Esteem Engine Shudder

Hi @Bengal Bonding,
  1. How many kms has the car covered?
  2. Have you done oil changes as recommended(every 10k kms?)
  3. This 600km trip - what speeds did you drive and was it hill driving or plains? If plains at 80-90kmph,your fuel efficiency is poor.Esteem returns no less than 17kmpl on highways if driven responsibly at 80-90kmph.My 1995 carb Esteem used to return more than 19 on highways and 14 in City.
  4. If you want to check if the engine is consuming oil,just check the exhaust tip and see if you find black "kajal" on it
  5. There is no reason for the pistons to get damaged because of driving through water logged roads ; your MASS does not seem to be diagnosing correctly.
  6. Oil leak at the Compressor points to a faulty oil seal
You must go to a reliable independent ac mechanic and get your ac sorted out first
Old 1st September 2011, 20:46   #17

Thanks for the response.

The car has been driven 86,000 Kms. Today I took the delivery of the car and found the AC chilling . The Wheel Bearing change has also made for a smoother ride.

The Clutch seems a repair ,but the MASS recommended it to be OK ,and proved it driving at slow speed.

Yes there is some oil at the exhaust. But surprisingly the water also comes out of the same.

There is still sound from the Engine coming mainly on acceleration.

The 600 kms drive was on 70% highway and 30% uphill and city.(Kolkata to Maithon and Panchet Dams)

The wheel bearing and AC bearing was damaged then. I had been getting 11Kmpl in the city with AC .

The decision is really tough. Should I go for an exchange and get a New car or wait and see if the problem is really with the engine.

How about a complete overhaul or half engine (Not sure what it means). I found engine oil not appearing in the metre after 3000 kms.Another MASS mechanic also indicated the problem with the engine on finding this excessive consumption. I avcoided him as he was keen to service the car outside and was doing it openly.Clearly indicates lack of management.This Mass is in the heart of the city .

I am confused .
Old 1st September 2011, 21:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Bonding View Post
The car has been driven 86,000 Kms.
Yes there is some oil at the exhaust. But surprisingly the water also comes out of the same.

There is still sound from the Engine coming mainly on acceleration.

Should I go for an exchange and get a New car or wait and see if the problem is really with the engine.

I found engine oil not appearing in the metre after 3000 kms.
water at the exhaust is normal ; water is a product of combustion and you'll notice this condensation when you start up in cold weather(mornings).Once the engine and the exhaust warm up it will be water vapour.

after 3000kms
Are you saying that the oil pressure warning light came on? or did you find that the engine oil dipstick showed no oil?

If oil loss is confirmed,you would need an engine overhaul ; this should cost you approx 20k,but you must be sure that you are getting it done from a knowledgeable and honest guy.Please use MGPs only.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with a good technician in your City.
Old 1st September 2011, 21:26   #19

There had been no warning lights. It was confirmed through engine oil dipstick.

I have already spend 18,000/- today and 8,500/- two months back. The tyre has already clogged 40000 kms (Pirelli) and might require change shortly.

There had been some rust build up on the body and rear lights will also require change.

Now, this additional expense on the way.

What should I do, Go for a full makeover? Secondly willl an overhaul get the car to its original shape.? Will the mileage increase?

I can keep the car and incur the additional cost if its worth it as I had already spend some amount on this.

A new car will cost me around 7- 8 lakhs and this 70,000/- exchange value will hardly make a difference to the EMI, Moreover my wife is also learning to drive and will need a car for gaining expertise.

Can Manza Diesel come in comparison to Esteem?
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:34   #20
BANNED

Any work/part you get changed at MASS carries a 6 month warranty .So your AC should be covered in that . For juddering get your throttle body cleaned .
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have one of the first MPFI Esteems bought in 2000. In my experience, AC repair is not really worth it as it is a source of recurrent problems. The only way is to replace every think starting from compressor to evaporator, radiator and the pipes.

No amount of money spent can be reasonaly recovered in a sale. It is your call to keep it or sell it. I have kept my one as a spare car to be used in emergency.

Your other option is to get a small car, I got an Alto K10 for city driving. It has performance similar to the Esteem, and the AC is much better. An added advantage of a small car is its manuouverability in crowded places and a really small parking foot print. I can now park where even A* desists, and that opens up a lot of parking slots!
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:14   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Bonding View Post
There had been no warning lights. It was confirmed through engine oil dipstick.

What should I do, Go for a full makeover? Secondly willl an overhaul get the car to its original shape.? Will the mileage increase?

A new car will cost me around 7- 8 lakhs and this 70,000/- exchange value will hardly make a difference to the EMI, Moreover my wife is also learning to drive and will need a car for gaining expertise.

Can Manza Diesel come in comparison to Esteem?
As I said,if you get a competent,honest guy to do up your engine,this can easily go past the 1.5lakh km mark.

However,looking at the amount you are spending,it does not seem that you've got the right technicians.

My suggestion would be to say bye bye to the Esteem and get a new Wagon-R ; good technology,loads of space and city friendly - all in one.

Manza is also a good choice in the 7-8lac bracket.
Old 11th September 2011, 21:41   #23

Thanks for all the support.

The car is currently running without much problem except the engine sound.The engine oil consumption is not much after 1000kms.Will review every 1000 kms.

Planning to get rid of the Esteem with its sweet memories. Just someone pointed Fiesta Classic for Notch back and Swift for Hqatch back. Knowing my travel everyone is suggesting Diesel.

Most Viewed