Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 11:02   #46
BHPian

Re: How accurate is the distance to empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
This is for US cars but gives a good indication of how far the cars can actually travel when the low fuel warning light comes on.

Source: YourMechanic
Not true at least for my Jetta, which should be similar to the American Jetta as they are virtually identical cars with the exception being the location of steering wheel.

On one of my drives a few months back, the low fuel warning light came on (just as the DTE went below 100 km) when I was ascending the hills. But as soon the descent started the low fuel light went away and the DTE increased to more than 100. The low fuel warning light didn't come back on for another 40-45 kms. So I think the low fuel warning at least in VAG cars depends not on the amount of fuel left but on the DTE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Not very reliable.

While going to Goa in my Polo TSI, when I reached Ramnagar my meter was showing 105 kms as distance to empty. By the time I descended the Anmod ghat (35 kms) it had come down to 20 km. This was with AC off, and descending, not much acceleration.

So best practice is to visit the bunk when DTE is 100 kms. Ideally, the meter or display should also show balance fuel in litres. That can usually give better idea as we are generally aware how much our car runs in a litre of fuel.
Completely agree. The DTE reading in my car is also deceptive as it decreases faster when it is less than 100. I have noticed this pattern both in my Polo GT TDI and Jetta TDI.
Old 30th November 2018, 12:19   #47
BHPian

Not having read the other posts on this thread and admittedly without knowledge of the DTE mechanism, if there are sensors in the tank or floats that give a rough estimate (or both/neither), here's me making a wild guess:

DTE is like instantaneous FE. If one continues driving in a similar fashion, then s/he may observe that reading vs actual figures run pretty close to one another. But this applies only in plains.
If DTE works on a float mechanism in the tank, then driving in hills either way can cause the float to give misleading readings (gravity).
Old 30th August 2021, 17:47   #48

Hi !
I upgraded tyres on my Swift Dzire VXI (2013) from 165/80 R14(OEM-MRF ZVTV) to 185/65 R15(Michelin XM2+). My MID never displayed accurate values since tyre change.
HIGHWAY DRIVE :
With old tyres, I used to get Fuel-Eco. of about 18.5-20.0kmpl (I drive with light foot) and it was very close to manufacturer's claims. But since my tyre upgrade I have been getting Fuel-Eco. values of about 22.0-23.5kmpl in MID. I can't see the same results reflecting in the 'Range Indicator' and fuel gauge (Can't really trust fuel gauge as readings are not linear).
When the fuel-gauge drops to 30%, range indicator suddenly starts to drop faster and faster.
CITY DRIVE :
Old tyre setup used to give me 12-14kmpl in heavy city traffic. Range indicator, Fuel-Eco. indicator etc. were displaying accurate values But with new tyre setup, I'm getting about 10-12kmpl actually and Fuel-Eco. in MID displays ridiculous numbers like 16.0-17.5kmpl.

With OEM setup I was getting expected 12-14kmpl(CITY) and 19.0/20kmpl(HIGHWAY). Range indicator was also very accurate back then.
Now, with wider tyres I was expecting my Fuel.Eco. to drop by 10% but MID says otherwise.
Something is not adding up. What could be the problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks