Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2006, 16:24   #31

affect on fuel efficency

how do you inc. the bhps, think u import ecu from other countries where the bhps of the cars are high
does it affect the fuel efficency??
how much does it decrease???
Old 20th March 2006, 19:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshulbabbar
how do you inc. the bhps, think u import ecu from other countries where the bhps of the cars are high
does it affect the fuel efficency??
how much does it decrease???
FE would drop considerably.

Better option than remapping ECU is to throw a 'porous cloth' over the airfilter of your car.... amazing short term results

J/K

Last edited by s0uljah : 20th March 2006 at 19:04.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:08   #33
BHPian

Hi! Guys. Read some where that a Honda Dealer in Mumbai has re-mapped (whatever you call that) his Honda Accord and now it gives out BHP in excess of 200. It is a white accord and with some dealer. If mumbai guys can find out
Old 21st March 2006, 12:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well lets get some points straight here:

Remaps are of 2 types:
1) Direct on board remaps which are supported by a few cars especially the VAG cars, some of the hyundai's ecu's ( I am not sure which ones at the moment) can be remapped directly
2) Re chipping: Basically using a ROM chip with another map on it to replace the orignal one

In addition to that you can use the following methods:
1) Piggy back FMC's: Fuel management computers, a few however also handle ignition curves. e.g. SAFC, VAFC etc
2) Standalone ECU's: to replace the ones you already have on your car

the Maruti ecu's do not have ROM chips / programming capability hence cannot be rechipped / reprogrammed, only the revlimiter can be removed. However I am sure that RDKarthik is selling standalone ECU's for the Maruti range and is currently developing one for the Viva.

Honda ECU's can be rechipped and swapped with other ecu's from outside India, you can also use tools like Hondata, Uberdata for doing the same(Note: This has to be done by people who are aware of ECU programming or you stand to destroy your engine and electronics)

Piggybacks are the easiest option on OBD2 compliant cars which would include the toyota's and the Honda's (even though they are OBD1 cars.)

Myths:
1) ReMaps can increase bhp over 30% of naturally aspirated cars is false you may be able to get to a max of 15% improvement by using the ecu and letting the engine to breathe easier. However it is true for turbo vehicles as the levels of boost can be managed in addition to the fuel and ignition maps.
2) Remaps can be done by anyone: false canot be done with out the right tools
3) Quoted BHP: Please do not go by Quoted number's use a timing method at least to find the improvement on the vehicle.
Psycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2006, 13:04   #35
BHPian

Thats a very nice and informative write-up, Psycho - now I can make a whole lot of sense of remapping.

I understand that Pete's box for diesels is of a Piggy-back type - is that correct ?

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 21st March 2006 at 13:06.
Old 21st March 2006, 15:39   #36
BHPian

psycho, An informative write up in a simple way. Thanks
Old 22nd March 2006, 00:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Well sort of, it's not as far fetched as it sounds, think about it: it's not too conceptually different from the remap concept, as it's "getting back" what was detuned for our versions.

From a bit of chemistry, and comparing with some road going engines it takes roughly 45L of air to burn enough fuel for 1bhp. Now a 1.8L 4-stroke engine will take in 5400L of air.So you'd expect 5400/45 = 120 bhp.

OTOH, the baleno stock seems to burn 60L per hp so wouldnt that like damage the engine?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bugatti1.htm for some basic run downs, dont worry I checked the data empirically with around 10 engines(all kinds) and it held up!
ok , you have calculated that baleno can make 120 BHP safely..so how would you go about doing this ? do you think that calculation makes sense when you speak in context of a 1.8 ltr baleno ..? is it that simple ? very tough to beleive that ... its just a rough estimate to explain some point about volumetric efficiency and why 4 turbos are used in case of a Buggatti veyron... that calculation wont be so simple in case of baleno if u want to make 120 BHP.
Old 25th March 2006, 06:32   #38
BHPian

does remaps decrease life of engine??
Old 25th March 2006, 10:22   #39
Jay
BHPian

Hey can a Santro's ECU be remapped ??? what are the pros and cons ???
Old 25th March 2006, 17:47   #40
Exo
BHPian

Well, 4 turbo's are to get it from 500 to 1K. No I dont think it's that simple as just the resistor trick and yeah, it's only a guestimate: 120 from a 1.8L engine is only 65.7 bhp/litre: less than the mpfi esteem does, and nowhere near a modern twin cam, so yes I do think it has to be doable, but with other mods ofcourse. My bad if I misled anyone.
Old 25th March 2006, 20:15   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Viper, do let us know. I'd be very interested in something for the Optra.

Hi Guys,

I have finished testing the product I was talking about and can say that I was very impressed with the results. The performance of my Getz now is simply mindblowing. I would go as far as to call this product a petrol equivalent of Pete's Diesel Tuning Box. It will work with all MPFI petrol cars.

I will try and post some before and after timings for everyones benefit as soon as I test it on the Gtech Pro.

Pm me for any further details.

Viper
Old 27th March 2006, 17:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi Guys,

I have finished testing the product I was talking about and can say that I was very impressed with the results. The performance of my Getz now is simply mindblowing. I would go as far as to call this product a petrol equivalent of Pete's Diesel Tuning Box. It will work with all MPFI petrol cars.

I will try and post some before and after timings for everyones benefit as soon as I test it on the Gtech Pro.

Pm me for any further details.

Viper
That is good news.
psycho's post states "Maruti ecu's do not have ROM chips / programming capability hence cannot be rechipped / reprogrammed, only the revlimiter can be removed.". Just have a doubt whether your product can be put into a Swift? Also what would be the cost, FE drop and power gain?
Old 27th March 2006, 19:06   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
That is good news.
psycho's post states "Maruti ecu's do not have ROM chips / programming capability hence cannot be rechipped / reprogrammed, only the revlimiter can be removed.". Just have a doubt whether your product can be put into a Swift? Also what would be the cost, FE drop and power gain?
Hi,

Due to some personal reasons I cannot disclose much at this stage other than that it is the petrol equivalent to Pete's Diesel Tuning Box. It is an american product, is universal in nature and will fit any MPFI car manufactured after 1996.(4,6,or 8 cylinder only).

Am yet to arrive at costing but will definitely be far more reasonable than the diesel box. It will carry a 5 year warranty and basically improves the torque and low end power of the car.

The power box enhances performance in multiple ways. First, it modifies signals being read by the ECU, causing an adjustment to the fuel curve, which is what creates the increase in horsepower and torque, as well as improves throttle response and shift speed. When the ECU sees these modified signals it provides a different set of fuel and ignition maps than it would under factory operating conditions. A second feature of the power box is it's "High-Heat Signal Correction." In short, when the engine compartment heats up, some sensors that relay pertinent fuel curve contingent information to the ECU begin to lose accuracy due to heat absorption into the sensor. The ECU then reads these incorrect signals, and leans out, or otherwise incorrectly alters the fuel curve, which hampers performance. These errors cannot be corrected from within the computer, there must be an independant unit to correct these errors. The power box is designed to automatically compensate for these signal errors.

Thats all for now. Keep a look out for further updates in a day or two.

Note from the support team: We suggest you tell all the interested members to pm you about informations on your offer. Do not put them on forum.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th April 2006 at 21:35.
Old 27th March 2006, 22:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
the Maruti ecu's do not have ROM chips / programming capability hence cannot be rechipped / reprogrammed, only the revlimiter can be removed.
How does one remove the revlimiter on a Zen? Where is it located?
Old 27th March 2006, 22:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

whats the point in removing the rev limiter.cant that be potentially unsafe.

Rev
Closed Thread

Most Viewed