Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 17:06   #1516
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
I also heard that extended warranty of one year is being offered but no communication has been conveyed to Me as yet from M&M. Can anyone who has bought extended warranty share the prices and details? Thanks.

P.S.
I took my XUV for 10k service recently with a list of niggles/queries. Will update this thread shortly as soon as last remaining niggle(of engine kat kat noise at low rpms) is sorted out. The SA says its apparently an electrical problem. I hope it gets sorted out soon and as of now car is still at A.S.S.
Why is this a niggle?

As a one off confirmation, yes, your XUV is covered for 3 years unlimited mileage. This is not like a traditional extended warranty that you purchase. M&M has extended this free of cost to its customers.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 17:09   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
I also heard that extended warranty of one year is being offered but no communication has been conveyed to Me as yet from M&M. Can anyone who has bought extended warranty share the prices and details? Thanks.
Hi I am not sure if you are referring to 2+1 year scenario or some thing else. But yes I have got my one year extended warranty which is over and above the original 2 year warranty. This of course is free of cost and was signed and stamped by my RM. I had to ask him for this. He did not offered it upfront.

This is as per my own experience.
Regds
Old 25th February 2013, 17:17   #1518
BHPian

To answer to your question 1, @SDP,yes , theoretically. Practically I have no idea. However I have asked for the replacement. Now its a wait n watch game.

For your 2nd. question, I think any vehicle which are not having the latest generation parts as mentioned in the TSB should undergo the replacement. But then again I am not sure in reality what happens.

My car is of the August Batch hence ideally all the parts mentioned in the TSB should be changed. There had been cases in Scorpio's when certain part was replaced after it failed and was reported.

And last of all thank you @Dr. Shamindra Sengupta for sharing this over the yummy fish chops ( thanks for that too).

@Abhinavinc : 2years+1 year comes free for XUV's. And I didn’t have to ask for it, my RM was courteous enough to stamp it on his own accord, when I took my car for the 1st servicing.

Last edited by me_sid : 25th February 2013 at 17:22. Reason: Adding a response.
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 11:48   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
And the funny coincidence with this part was that it was made by Nippon again. I had multiple quality issues with Nippon supplied infotainment system before.

I am not sure of the reason why M&M sticks with Nippon. They have the most pathetic security and infotainment systems and the worst possible service and outrageous service and repair charges.

M&M dealers pass on the buck conveniently to Nippon and we have to chase them (I am facing another issue with my Scorpio's music system which is draining the battery since it is not shutting down despite the key being removed).
Old 27th February 2013, 08:02   #1520
BHPian

Hi All,

there have been many posts regarding the Maintaince schedule TSB regarding the de-linking of the Time with regard to the Servicings. Meaning that the earlier schedule of 5,000Km/3 months whichever is earlier or 10,000/6 months etc. no more exists. Now only the mileage is applicable. This change happened in late November 2012.

Please find attached the relevant TSB.

100% confirmation. Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB_2012_101_MAT_01181_XUV500_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf (254.2 KB, 4480 views)
Tigger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 09:04   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
You're right. I have test-driven the XUV and the new Cruze and I love both. The Cruze for its planted ride and blazing performance while the XUV for its relaxed yet brisk road manners. I feel that the XUV has more to offer in terms of sheer value. It can definitely handle the bits of dirt roads which we sometimes go through with its ground clearance and good suspension travel. The Cruze is sure to scrape its under- body often in those roads. My family has a habit of over- packing for trips. In the XUV, loading and unloading such luggage will be cakewalk compared to the Cruze. Where the Cruze destroys the XUV is on the highway with its amazing performance plus the always welcome "premiumness"! . Its build- quality, fit and finish etc. is superior to that of the XUV. All said, we will probably go for the XUV owing to its resale value and usefulness in daily driving conditions. I feel its ride and handling is pretty good and confidence inspiring for an SUV. Then there is the commanding view and that smug feeling when the traffic gives way as you approach from behind. Fingers crossed!
Hi Vivek,

Sorry I was disconnected for a while and did not see your query. Just though I would put my two pennies in!

If you are looking for so hard to pick between the choice between the XUV and the Cruz, I would also have a long hard look at the top model of the Renault Duster.

I have owned an XUV since February 2012 and have maintained it in mint condition, having done about 21000 km. Believe me it has been an ardous task. I have had about 20 odd visits to the various dealers. The list of equipment changed under warranty is really long, including 5 changes in Brake pads and two in the Disc router. My car has finally been fitted with the latest Pads and routers in January 2013.

In hindsight, I would have never opted for the XUV. The Duster may be smaller but the road clearance etc are the same. If I had all the inputs and knowledge that I have now, I would have waited for the Duster.

Owning and running the XUV has been a really tough job... and I mean a Job!
Tigger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 10:01   #1522
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^

Indian Manufacturers "(TATA & Mahindra) still do not realize that just because they replace stuff for "zero value bill" within the long warranty period things do not become acceptable.

Peace of Mind via reliability and +ve predictability along with minimum visits to the service centre (besides when due) and quick turn around time are important. Besides visiting the service centre again for the same issue is a strick -ve. I say this with reference to both TATA & M&M new age vehicles some of which if the buyer is very particular in keeping in ship shape do become a job itself and this is not acceptable for a self driven vehicle for sure.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 11:25   #1523
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Hi All,

there have been many posts regarding the Maintaince schedule TSB regarding the de-linking of the Time with regard to the Servicings. Meaning that the earlier schedule of 5,000Km/3 months whichever is earlier or 10,000/6 months etc. no more exists. Now only the mileage is applicable. This change happened in late November 2012.

100% confirmation. Cheers.
Thanks a lot Tigger! By any chance do you have access to the latest TSB which is talking about replacement of pads, pedal, master cylinder (as mentioned by me_sid)?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 13:58   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thanks a lot Tigger! By any chance do you have access to the latest TSB which is talking about replacement of pads, pedal, master cylinder (as mentioned by me_sid)?
My pleasure SDP.

To the best of my knowlege there is no TSB regarding the change of the Master Cylinder for the XUV. Still, I have asked someone to look for any such TSB. Will inform you it is found.
Tigger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 14:51   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Tigger -- the TSB attached by you is really useful, thanks. Apart from making clear that the 'months' rider is no longer fully applicable, the TSB also gives the latest maintenance schedule and recommended fluids (e.g., Maximile Feo for engine oil).

All XUV owners are advised to keep a printout of this TSB. It must be noted that though the 'months' rider appears to have been removed for routine servicing, the TSB makes it quite clear that fluids need to be replaced after a certain number of months regardless of mileage.

As SDP seems to imply, it is great to have someone here who has access to M&M's TSBs. Tigger would be really helping us if he can lay his hands on the TSB regarding brakes.

Last edited by debuda : 27th February 2013 at 14:54.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 20:22   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tigger, first of all thanks for the TSB.
Secondly, with regard to your concluding line, I would like to say that M&M have worked hard to iron out the deficiencies that surfaced in the initial months of launch. Mine is Nov 12 manufactured, delivered in early Jan 2013. In about 7 weeks I have today crossed 3500 kms and so far , with fingers crossed , I have to say it's largely been faultless. The only issue I face is a somewhat stiff suspension, and many say that's by design in SUVs. The other is that MMI does not seem very robust, very good at times, and terrible at other times. Even Debuda who got delivery late Oct 2012, and has done over 10K including Nathu La, seems to have had a largely satisfactory experience thus far. You may like to read his ownership thread and other posts.
Disclaimer: I neither work with M&M nor related to anybody in M&M, nor have I owned any of their vehicles earlier.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 22:02   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vivek,

Sorry I was disconnected for a while and did not see your query. Just though I would put my two pennies in!

If you are looking for so hard to pick between the choice between the XUV and the Cruz, I would also have a long hard look at the top model of the Renault Duster.

In hindsight, I would have never opted for the XUV. The Duster may be smaller but the road clearance etc are the same. If I had all the inputs and knowledge that I have now, I would have waited for the Duster.

Thank you so much for your input. We ruled out the Duster mainly because of its messed up ergonomics. Somehow it doesn't tug at the heart strings like the Cruze or the XUV. Anyways it's a long wait till we finalize on something. So you're telling me if I go for an XUV, I'll be facing a risk of never ending problems/ niggles? Is the XUV really reliable for its butch looks or is it all show and no go in the long run? Whats your take as an XUV owner?
Old 27th February 2013, 23:40   #1528

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Tigger -- the TSB attached by you is really useful, thanks. Apart from making clear that the 'months' rider is no longer fully applicable, the TSB also gives the latest maintenance schedule and recommended fluids (e.g., Maximile Feo for engine oil).

As SDP seems to imply, it is great to have someone here who has access to M&M's TSBs. Tigger would be really helping us if he can lay his hands on the TSB regarding brakes.

hi,

i just got back from my first free service of of my XUV . Ahmedabad, Punjab Motors. It is confirmed for the 3 Yrs unlimited KM warranty. The dealer will give you a separate additional warranty certificate and they also endorsed it in my service book.

Brake pads- I had the dreaded"grinding..state bus comes to a halt" noise, seems to be better, the dealer is clearing a backlog for the brake pads, is not "recalling" in any general sense. Will get mine in due time, service visits seem to dictate brake pad replacement. Brake pads confirmed to be newer Bosch variety.

Master cylinder & brake pedal- dealer confirmed "something" in the offing, no TSB yet, and replacement will be dependent on spares M&M is able to supply.

Oil- There is this M&M branded engine oil Maximile (Synthetic) which is being put in the vehicle. It is made by Indian Oil. Any views on how good/bad it is? Any other better oil in the market? Can the service guys be told to put some other oil if it is better? Did not not see any mention on the page (probably because it is marginally of this thread!!!!!)

Had a few issues like vehicle pulling left, steering vibrations at high speeds, Infotainment system hang up... all have been resolved and vehicle delivered on time by a very courteous staff. Cheers!!!
footsoldier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 15:01   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Thank you so much for your input. Whats your take as an XUV owner?
I was one among the unfortunate few to buy the XUV from the first batch (Sep/Oct 2011). My list of niggles went beyond 20+ - Some not just niggles - I have pretty much NEW everything in the car = so many replacements. Then count the number of visits and the calls. Well finally, I am getting my brake pads replaced for the 6th time today. The SA calls me just now and says he is replacing the power steering "pipe".. Believe me.. I stopped visiting this thread for almost 4-5 months after getting so sick of XUV. I bought a small hatch and use it for the most part. Just holding on to the XUV for some long drives. It sure is going to be out of my garage in another 3-4 months.
sheelapratosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 19:28   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
I was one among the unfortunate few to buy the XUV from the first batch (Sep/Oct 2011). Believe me.. I stopped visiting this thread for almost 4-5 months after getting so sick of XUV. I bought a small hatch and use it for the most part. Just holding on to the XUV for some long drives. It sure is going to be out of my garage in another 3-4 months.
I'm so sorry for your terrible experience. At least Mahindra is sorting out the issues for you. What they should have done is a recall of all the vehicles from the previous batches for rectification instead of waiting for the owners to start complaining. The owners put so much trust and faith in Mahindra and this is what they get in return. Are these "replacements" free? If not it's sheer atrocity! And are you SURE you'll let go of your XUV?

Last edited by Vivek Jayan : 6th March 2013 at 19:31.
Vivek Jayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed