Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 14:54   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Nitin, just let it go. Some things M&M might never be able to fix.
How about getting Xenons installed on the low-beam with proper ballasts and a relay?
I guess so I have to let it go.

Anyways always wanted to add hid but wouldn't it cost me more when they they go kaput? How will hid help me in this issue?
Old 17th February 2014, 17:22   #2507
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I guess so I have to let it go.

Anyways always wanted to add hid but wouldn't it cost me more when they they go kaput? How will hid help me in this issue?
Either the issue is wiring related or bulbs related.
1. The HIDs get powered by a dedicated connection and doesn't use stock power wiring. So wiring related problems should get eliminated.
2. Halogen bulbs would get replaced with xenon bulbs. So bulb-quality related issue should get addressed.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 18:06   #2508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
So even after replacing entire headlight wiring, low beam bulb went kaput again. This time right before starting my 2000kms journey.
Quote:
Nitin, just let it go. Some things M&M might never be able to fix.
Quote:
Actually, M&M seems to have solved it. Our 2013 XUV doesn't have a single instance of any bulb fusing and it's approaching 20,000 kms now.

Agreed that it could either be wiring related or bulb itself. But it seems Nitin has changed both. Or may be something related to fuse specs? Then the only possibility is that something is sending a Spike / sudden high current. What could it be?
TheIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 18:19   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. The HIDs get powered by a dedicated connection and doesn't use stock power wiring. So wiring related problems should get eliminated.
2. Halogen bulbs would get replaced with xenon bulbs. So bulb-quality related issue should get addressed.
Thanks sanjay.

I also doubt my car stereo wiring might be the culprit. The amps I am using are power hungry so maybe battery does not give enough juice to headlights when system plays loud. Anyways I am done with investigations.
Old 18th February 2014, 00:06   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post

Actually, M&M seems to have solved it. Our 2013 XUV doesn't have a single instance of any bulb fusing and it's approaching 20,000 kms now.

Agreed that it could either be wiring related or bulb itself. But it seems Nitin has changed both. Or may be something related to fuse specs? Then the only possibility is that something is sending a Spike / sudden high current. What could it be?
I wish I could agree with you but irony is that today itself I saw 2 xuv with low beam/high beam gone that too 2014 model as they had variant mentioned on the back door. So I presume they didnt fix it, its more of luck. Some do and some don't.
Old 18th February 2014, 00:15   #2511
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My XUV is a month old and has run 1500 KMs and everything is fine so far. I'm facing a wierd issue for the last one week. I have noticed that once I park over night, there are bits and pieces of sponge lying under the sump gaurd. The first time I did not take it seriously but I noticed it thrice. I have posted some pictures. I did get under the car and when I put my hand inside the sump guard I noticed this is the padding inside that is shredding. What is wierd is that this seems to be accumulated like some one assembled it below the sump guard and why is this shedding overnight? What happens after the car is parked. Is it the heat from the engine.It is almost like some one put their hand inside the sump guard and pulls the sponge pieces out. Has anyone ever faced this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20140218wa0000.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20140218wa0001.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20140218wa0002.jpg  

fiery enzyme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 01:42   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Hi Guys,

My XUV is a month old and has run 1500 KMs and everything is fine so far. I'm facing a wierd issue for the last one week. I have noticed that once I park over night, there are bits and pieces of sponge lying under the sump gaurd. The first time I did not take it seriously but I noticed it thrice. I have posted some pictures. I did get under the car and when I put my hand inside the sump guard I noticed this is the padding inside that is shredding. What is wierd is that this seems to be accumulated like some one assembled it below the sump guard and why is this shedding overnight? What happens after the car is parked. Is it the heat from the engine.It is almost like some one put their hand inside the sump guard and pulls the sponge pieces out. Has anyone ever faced this before?
Looks like rats are chewing the Cheetah. The sponge could be the sound deadening layer inside the engine guard plastic cover. Probably one thing you can immediately try is have some tobacco tied inside the engine guard.

thanks
HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 08:16   #2513
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...What happens after the car is parked. Is it the heat from the engine.It is almost like some one put their hand inside the sump guard and pulls the sponge pieces out. Has anyone ever faced this before?
Agree with HCP. Does look like rat-problem.
From the pics, it looks like the rats are nibbling on the rubber piece (marked in red circle in the below pic) that is at the near-corners of the engine bay.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-engine-bay.jpg

Please pop open the hood and inspect the rubber pieces on either side. I have had this issue in the past. Keeping the parking place clean (clearing away anything that could attract rats) is the only long-term solution.

Last edited by SDP : 18th February 2014 at 08:19.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 12:41   #2514
BHPian

Quote:
Agree with HCP. Does look like rat-problem.
From the pics, it looks like the rats are nibbling on the rubber piece (marked in red circle in the below pic) that is at the near-corners of the engine bay.
Our XUV has this exact rubber piece shown in red circle in that pic chewed by rats. Half of that rubber piece is now stuck with the bonnet hood rather than the body. Stuck tobbaco puches at 4 different places inside the engine bay !
TheIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 21:16   #2515
BHPian

Bingo! That was the problem. Those rubber pieces from the picture have been chewed by rats however it cannot account for so much of sponge pieces. The RM feels the rat could chewing the sponge lining below the carpet in the floor area ( don't if there is even a lining there). Tomorrow I'm taking the car to the ASC and put it on the ramp to see the damage.
Old 18th February 2014, 21:40   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
Bingo! That was the problem. Those rubber pieces from the picture have been chewed by rats however it cannot account for so much of sponge pieces. The RM feels the rat could chewing the sponge lining below the carpet in the floor area ( don't if there is even a lining there). Tomorrow I'm taking the car to the ASC and put it on the ramp to see the damage.
Oh my ! I too observed the same stuff under the xuv but just dismissed it ( just observed it once). Guess I too would need to check everything under the hood carefully. :banghead:
Old 18th February 2014, 21:48   #2517
BHPian

The SA i met today told me this is a common problem with the XUV 500 and that he can do something to prevent the rats from getting in. Will know tomorrow.

What is with XUV and rats. If they have a solution that should have been put in place already and not when someone complains.
Old 20th February 2014, 10:52   #2518
BHPian

^^^
Mahindra has a mesh to prevent rats in the XUV. Get it fitted. It costs less than Rs. 200, I guess. These are some 3-4 pieces of mesh which are fitted just under the black cowl (meeting point of front windshield and bonnet)
Old 20th February 2014, 15:03   #2519
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^
The mesh stops entry of rats in the main cabin. The engine bay is pretty much still accessible to them and that's where the impacted rubber-piece is located in this case.
Old 20th February 2014, 19:34   #2520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
^^^
Mahindra has a mesh to prevent rats in the XUV. Get it fitted. It costs less than Rs. 200, I guess. These are some 3-4 pieces of mesh which are fitted just under the black cowl (meeting point of front windshield and bonnet)
Are you sure you've not missed a zero? Whoever I checked with in Bangalore says they charge 2000 at the ASC. If you have installed this, please provide more details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks