Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 09:33   #2566
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Folks,

We are looking to buy a pre-owned XUV, given that we do not have a budget to go for a new one. What this implies is we can only consider the initial models (which cost around 11.5-12L in the pre-owned market in BLR for the W8 spec).

I understand that the initial batches had multiple issues which were resolved over time. What should i reasonably expect (or more so focus on) when looking for a pre-owned XUV from early 2012.
Going for a used XUV would be a big risk if you are buying it from an unknown source. If it is a friend of yours or an acquaintance, then at least that person would tell you the complete history, issues faced if any & you can be prepared for what to expect. Instead of that why don't you consider a brand new W4. From the feedback received from TBHPians, it seems most of the niggling issues (if not all) have been sorted out in the newer batches. Moreover the new W4 will also fall within your budget or you may have to stretch only a little.

Quote:
The vehicle should still be under warranty so should it still be a safe bet to go for a pre-owned vehicle with an expectation of facing problems, which however may be covered/addressed under warranty?
Having warranty would give you some peace of mind, but then it would only save you from the expenses incurred on the parts replacement, it would however not save you from the mental trauma & the trouble of frequently visiting service centre (which needs to be factored in for a used car).

Quote:
PS - Honestly, our requirement is for a people mover to lug around 4 Adults + 2 Kids primarily in the city and occasionally (once in 4-5 months) for an outstation trip. Was looking around for an Innova, but with the price a pre-owned Innova commands, I think getting a pre-owned XUV makes more sense. I own a Tata Manza currently and am COMPLETELY SATISFIED with it, but we need more space to travel together (since we are pretty keen on driving with our kids in their car seats).
Why don't you consider the Ertiga or even the upcoming Honda Mobilio. These cars will provide you the options of securing your kids in car seats, ease of driving within city & convenience of parking. With your combination of passengers, these would be most suitable for you & you can buy these new in your budget, instead of going for used ones. These are however not that suitable/ comfortable for carrying 6 adult passengers compared to real MUVs like Innova or Xylo.

I too am in a similar situation as yours (4 adults & 2 kids) & I am keenly waiting for the launch of the Mobilio. I have parking restrictions in my apartment and can slot in big vehicles like Innova with great difficulty.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 09:57   #2567
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback. Some comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Going for a used XUV would be a big risk if you are buying it from an unknown source.
I am hoping to be able to pull the complete service history from the service center. Have a couple of folks with rather good contacts, so am counting this information to be available.

Quote:
Instead of that why don't you consider a brand new W4.Moreover the new W4 will also fall within your budget or you may have to stretch only a little.
Honestly my budget is around 8-9L, 11.5-12L itself is a stretch, W4 on road in BLR comes to 13.75L.

Quote:
Having warranty would give you some peace of mind, but then it would only save you from the expenses incurred on the parts replacement, it would however not save you from the mental trauma & the trouble of frequently visiting service centre (which needs to be factored in for a used car).
Buying a pre-owned car is not new to me. I have had a pre-owned Santro, pre-owned Fusion and now a pre-owned Manza. Buying a new car is not my comfort zone

Quote:
Why don't you consider the Ertiga or even the upcoming Honda Mobilio. These are however not that suitable/ comfortable for carrying 6 adult passengers compared to real MUVs like Innova or Xylo.
Ertiga was my first choice, but seemed like a straight downgrade in terms of space when compared to my current-ride i.e. the Manza. Was very keen on the Ertiga, but what let it down was the width. I can seat 3 comfortably in the Manza, not in the Ertiga. Further the lack of a split seats for rear row is a big miss in my opinion. I could put a child seat there and have left some space for luggage if MSIL had given the option, but alas.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:07   #2568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
PS - Honestly, our requirement is for a people mover to lug around 4 Adults + 2 Kids primarily in the city and occasionally (once in 4-5 months) for an outstation trip..
Not interested in the Xylo? It's quite an under rated vehicle, and you should be able to get a decent top end specimen within your budget.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th March 2014, 15:50   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to share a incident I faced on the 19th of this month. I has starting for office and I see both the right Tyre s are flat, I went to the puncture repair shop with the tyres and they could find a nail in one and repaired the same. They filled air in them and said they should be fine. But in 24 hrs both the same ones were flat. I went to the India garage Service center at whitefield, after they check, they confirmed that there is a defect and they will replace both the tyre. Mine is a W4, Tyre is from Maxxis and I have clocked 7800 km at the time of the incident.

Photo:
Hi,

Could you please elaborate on the defect on these wheels? I cannot imagine what kind of defect would let the air out of the tyres at such a slow pace.

It could have been a slow puncture or a valve issue and both these would not justify a replacement (that too under warranty) from Mahindra.

Thanks in advance!

Cheerzz
Old 28th March 2014, 16:16   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Hi,

Could you please elaborate on the defect on these wheels? I cannot imagine what kind of defect would let the air out of the tyres at such a slow pace.

It could have been a slow puncture or a valve issue and both these would not justify a replacement (that too under warranty) from Mahindra.

Thanks in advance!

Cheerzz
There are very small puncture in the inner side wall of both the Tyre . Not sure how it happened, they are putting it as manufacturing defect.
tirthankard77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 23:54   #2571
BHPian

Dear BHPians

I am looking forward to buy a XUV500 W8. I took test drive and read all about it in this forum. The only thing that concerns me is the 2nd row seating comfort during long drives. My mom felt that the seats were not at all comfortable during the test drive. My wife felt it was just average. I myself sat in the 2nd row and asked the sales executive to drive. I felt the back rest was great, but the width and under thigh support was pathetic. I am 6 foot and most of my family members are tall. I was driving a safari before and it has awesome 2nd row seat.

Can an owner shed some light on this based on real life experience of long drive? This is the only thing keeping me from making a decision.
Old 1st April 2014, 11:38   #2572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
Dear BHPians

I am looking forward to buy a XUV500 W8. I took test drive and read all about it in this forum. The only thing that concerns me is the 2nd row seating comfort during long drives. My mom felt that the seats were not at all comfortable during the test drive. My wife felt it was just average. I myself sat in the 2nd row and asked the sales executive to drive. I felt the back rest was great, but the width and under thigh support was pathetic. I am 6 foot and most of my family members are tall. I was driving a safari before and it has awesome 2nd row seat.

Can an owner shed some light on this based on real life experience of long drive? This is the only thing keeping me from making a decision.
Hi there. I guess your issue is that you have been pampered with brilliant back seat of safari, hence you are not able to get in terms with xuv seats. I have driven almost 50k kms till date in xuv, both driver and back seat passenger and I just love the comfort they provide. So I dont see an issue in xuv seats. But as you said that you are tall so please have another test drive and make your decision.

On another note, please post these kind of queries to test drive thread as this unnecessarily increases niggles threads.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 13:57   #2573
BHPian

I have been facing issues of ac blower in passenger seats to be inadequate. The flow is less unless you increase the blower ahead. Inshort I feel the blower is too much ahead than mid seats when increased. Any such issues. Also the rear ac button is only for 3rd row I suppose.
Old 1st April 2014, 15:37   #2574
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: Please do NOT SPAM this thread with requests for the service manual. Any such posts will be infracted, going forward. Please use the PM facility for these requests.

@ Nitinralli: You can forward me the service manual. Will try to figure out a way to host it online.

Thanks
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 15:57   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
I have been facing issues of ac blower in passenger seats to be inadequate. The flow is less unless you increase the blower ahead. Inshort I feel the blower is too much ahead than mid seats when increased. Any such issues. Also the rear ac button is only for 3rd row I suppose.
You are not the first and wouldn't be the last, to feel the inadequate blower speed for the passenger seats. I have found a way to circumvent this issue. The driver side vents are quite wide, so wide that I mostly have my right vents shut, almost always. If one vent is shut, the blower spews out more air through the remaining opening vents. And so if you need some good blower speed for the rear bench, close down the right vent to the driver and the left vent to the front passenger. By closing two vents, the throw at the rear bench is significantly more. Try and let us know, if it works.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 16:35   #2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
I thought I had posted updates here, but looks like I didn't. Sorry about that.

The analysis of the graphs by mahindra's R&D through my personal contacts was that the solenoid valve was the issue. Either the valve itself or its driver. But it was hard convincing the service center about it. They insisted on their own diagnosis and said that the turbo had to be replaced. Well, I didn't mind getting a new turbo though I wasn't convinced it will solve the problem, so told them to go ahead. After replacing the turbo didn't feel any significant improvement. I was frustrated, but can't blame the service center not trying to address my concerns. So decided to give it some time before I go back. May be running in the turbo will help was my thought.

Hi,

When I discussed the turbo with the service supervisor he said in the Xuv the turbo "cuts out" when speed drops below 800 rpm or so. Hence as per him you don't need to let the engine idle before turning it off. Does this make sense?

Also isn't there any debugging routine for the turbo?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th April 2014 at 05:43. Reason: Quoted post trimmed for benefit of mobile users.
Old 2nd April 2014, 20:42   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxgaze View Post
Hi,

When I discussed the turbo with the service supervisor he said in the Xuv the turbo "cuts out" when speed drops below 800 rpm or so. Hence as per him you don't need to let the engine idle before turning it off. Does this make sense?

Also isn't there any debugging routine for the turbo?

Thanks in advance.
Well yes! He is correct in saying that the turbo cuts out. But the point to note is that the turbine in the turbo spins at very high RPM. So even after the turbo cuts out, the turbine continues to spin due to inertia for sometime. During this spinning, if the lubrication is stopped to the turbocharger (which would happen once the engine is switched off), there would be a possibility of turbine/bearing damage.

Hence, one should always play it safe and idle before switching off the engine or alternatively drive sedately for the last couple of hundred meters before you reach your destination.

Cheeerzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 14:25   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Well yes! He is correct in saying that the turbo cuts out. But the point to note is that the turbine in the turbo spins at very high RPM. So even after the turbo cuts out, the turbine continues to spin due to inertia for sometime. During this spinning, if the lubrication is stopped to the turbocharger (which would happen once the engine is switched off), there would be a possibility of turbine/bearing damage.

Hence, one should always play it safe and idle before switching off the engine or alternatively drive sedately for the last couple of hundred meters before you reach your destination.

Cheeerzz
The turbo will never be cut-off in XUV. XUV is having BorgWarner BV43-007 VGT unit. You can find details in my earlier posting here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tions-127.html

In practice we have seen as soon as the engine fired up there is a intake manifold pressure variance of +0.6 psi. Also there is no Waste gate in case of VGTs. So there is no way the turbo rotation can completely stopped while the engine is running in XUV. By cut-off the mechanic must have meant there is near to no boost pressure at idling speed. Also a turbo required the lubricant at the most before it attains the full speed of around 100,000 rpm, otherwise it can lead to damage of the journal bearings. But in XUV the lubrication needs are already taken care though the vacuum building pump, so it can be switched on and driven off immediately. If you read the XUV manual it clearly states that no need of idling the engine before driving off.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 5th April 2014 at 14:39.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 19:15   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
If you read the XUV manual it clearly states that no need of idling the engine before driving off.
HCP, what about when you come back from a drive, is there a need to idle for a while before switching off? Also, is there a difference in approach after a short drive say 2-3 kms, compared to a longer one of say 8-10 kms and more.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:44   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
The turbo will never be cut-off in XUV. XUV is having BorgWarner BV43-007 VGT unit. You can find details in my earlier posting here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tions-127.html

In practice we have seen as soon as the engine fired up there is a intake manifold pressure variance of +0.6 psi. Also there is no Waste gate in case of VGTs. So there is no way the turbo rotation can completely stopped while the engine is running in XUV. By cut-off the mechanic must have meant there is near to no boost pressure at idling speed. Also a turbo required the lubricant at the most before it attains the full speed of around 100,000 rpm, otherwise it can lead to damage of the journal bearings. But in XUV the lubrication needs are already taken care though the vacuum building pump, so it can be switched on and driven off immediately. If you read the XUV manual it clearly states that no need of idling the engine before driving off.
I stand corrected! Thanks HCP for the explanation.

Looks like we have a superior VGT turbo in the XUV. I would still play it safe and idle the car during warming up in the morning and after a spirited drive.

Cheerzzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks