Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2014, 13:06   #2581
J.Ravi

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
If you read the XUV manual it clearly states that no need of idling the engine before driving off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
what about when you come back from a drive, is there a need to idle for a while before switching off?
XUV500 owner's manual specifies idling for a few seconds before driving and before turning off the engine.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-dsc_0022.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-dsc_0024.jpg
  (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 13:39   #2582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
XUV500 owner's manual specifies idling for a few seconds before driving and before turning off the engine.

Attachment 1227096

Attachment 1227097
Thanks Ravi . I stand corrected. Since owners manual says idling a few second i would recommend following it.

My comment was based on queries i had raised to M&M technical folks on side effects of Start/ stop function on VGT turbo and the response received for that. For XUV for Start / Stop functionality, which needs to take care of an immediate drive off situation. Probably the justification would be that the engine is already warmed up so less risk.

thanks
-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 11:42   #2583
BHPian

Guys,

I had taken my XUV500 for first long drive yesterday to Lonavala. I have clocked 2000KMS and most drive was within city. So yesterday i had opportunity to take it for a long drive. As a background i have previously owned 2 Scorpio's for over 7 years now and have a fairly good control on it on highways. I was keen to see how the XUV performs

Happy about:
-Air-conditioning is good all 3 rows. The mid row cooling is best if both window-end blowers of front seat are closed.
-Good suspension and comfort at all rows
- comfort of seats and driving long distance
- Mileage
- Low noise and extremely smooth in the 6th gear

Things i was little confused/not happy about:
- The braking seems late compared to Scorpio. It gives you some anxious moments especially in high speed
- I was driving at 100kmph on the expressway and there comes a stretch where there are road joints. so the XUV goes up and down with full shock absorption. I suddenly realize that tires has lost ground control and veered towards right slightly. The brakes were not applied by me. I managed to steer and continue. But this issue for seconds gave me jitters. No water or oil on the roads.
- The headlights did seem inadequate unless driving on high beam, which is too bright. I am yet to get complete control on which light knob to use, auto or standard(to be honest)
- Lack of auto power windows on driver’s side is a issue.

Would request some experienced advice on points mentioned above.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:24   #2584
BHPian

Friends, need your advise.
Some moron broke the front headlamp outer cover (clear glass) of my XuV in my office parking.

The service centre quotes around Rs. 12,000 for the entire headlight (left side). Is it possible to get the outer cover (clear lens) alone ? or do I need to get the full headlight set ?
Old 8th April 2014, 13:56   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Friends, need your advise.
Some moron broke the front headlamp outer cover (clear glass) of my XuV in my office parking.

The service centre quotes around Rs. 12,000 for the entire headlight (left side). Is it possible to get the outer cover (clear lens) alone ? or do I need to get the full headlight set ?
Woah! Thats rough. Tough luck buddy. You can't help it with these things.

I don't think you can get the outside case separately because these headlights are sealed from the manufacturer's factory. That said, I am sure there would be some 'jugaad' you can do at your neighbourhood mechanic.

Authorised ASS would not sell the glass separately.

Let us know once you get it repaired, or replaced.

Cheerzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 14:23   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
Dear BHPians

I am looking forward to buy a XUV500 W8. I took test drive and read all about it in this forum. The only thing that concerns me is the 2nd row seating comfort during long drives. My mom felt that the seats were not at all comfortable during the test drive. My wife felt it was just average. I myself sat in the 2nd row and asked the sales executive to drive. I felt the back rest was great, but the width and under thigh support was pathetic. I am 6 foot and most of my family members are tall. I was driving a safari before and it has awesome 2nd row seat.

Can an owner shed some light on this based on real life experience of long drive? This is the only thing keeping me from making a decision.
My family also initially felt the middle row thigh support is slightly less in XUV, probably because they have been used to sit in my Xylo captain style seating which was great in terms of thigh support. However, after quite a few long drives and about 10K kilometers, they are very comfortable with the middle row seats. Also, the large leg space in the middle row really makes up for the slightly lesser thigh support IMO.
Old 8th April 2014, 15:57   #2587
BHPian

Guys,

I am wanting to fit a night vision reverse camera on my XUV Wanted help on the following :-

1. Which brand is the best.
2. I have heard that you cant fit it from external vendor as mahindra guys need to connect it to HU.
3. If I install camera only in the centre, will the OEM sensors on sides still operate(sorry but I lack knowledge on this).

Please advise
Old 8th April 2014, 16:19   #2588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
The service centre quotes around Rs. 12,000 for the entire headlight
I remember reading few days back on same thread about a member changing the lights since one / few of the LED's went bust. That was done under warranty, hence free. However in that case also entire headlight assembly was changed and the member had mentioned the price on box to be around 7K.
12K is bit too high, however I don't think you will get only the glass. Most of the cars ( if not all) comes with sealed headlight unit.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 21:54   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
3. If I install camera only in the centre, will the OEM sensors on sides still operate(sorry but I lack knowledge on this).

Please advise
The sensors will operate but you will only have the camera view. You will not be able to change the view to the one prior to camera installation ( the one which shows the sides while reversing)
Old 9th April 2014, 09:26   #2590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Guys,

I am wanting to fit a night vision reverse camera on my XUV Wanted help on the following :-

1. Which brand is the best.
2. I have heard that you cant fit it from external vendor as mahindra guys need to connect it to HU.

Please advise
Hi Kartik/Everyone,
Should we really post such queries on the niggles thread? Length of the niggles thread ends up creating a wrong impression in the minds of neutral users and further reinforces the views of Mahindra/xuv bashers. May be we can put such queries on the ownership thread since they are not related to niggles/issues with the vehicle. Or perhaps a separate thread on xuv accessories? Thoughts?Suggestions?
s_a_u_r_a_b_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 10:48   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
Hi Kartik/Everyone,
Should we really post such queries on the niggles thread? Length of the niggles thread ends up creating a wrong impression in the minds of neutral users and further reinforces the views of Mahindra/xuv bashers. May be we can put such queries on the ownership thread since they are not related to niggles/issues with the vehicle. Or perhaps a separate thread on xuv accessories? Thoughts?Suggestions?
Saurabh,

I have no issues on these queries posted in other thread. But if you read the past posts and caption of the thread, in my opinion suits here as these are issues, queries and not experiences. Ownership should be about overall experiences and not queries on parts, accessories.

However as stated its my personal opinion and respect your's too. In fact one thing that I too felt as much as you did, was a thread on all posotive talks, points on XUV and why it scores above others.

I completely support the passion of ensuring XUV bashers do not get more meat.

Cheers and Respect.
Old 12th April 2014, 23:58   #2592
BHPian

Mine is a 2 week old beast. Some minor niggles that I have seen in almost 700km in 2 weeks:

Click sounds from front and back axles whenever I change gears (especially 1 and 2) and release the clutch. Took it right away to the RM. He said, there is a lug nut in the wheels that just need to be tightened with the right tourque. Issue was fixed in 10 mins

ICE hung up for the first time today while trying to pair up with the phone. Restarting the car fixed it.

Clutch seemed butter smooth when I drove it from the lot the first time. But with time it seems to be getting harder. I think I can wait till the first service for this?
Old 16th April 2014, 01:08   #2593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Hi,

I cannot imagine what kind of defect would let the air out of the tyres at such a slow pace.
Cheerzz
Just my $0.02, In my drive - I found that a hologram on the inside wall of the Bridgestone tyre had disintegrated into small crystal like pieces & that caused friction with the rubber parts within. That led to complete air out of the tyre over a period of few days!
gearedup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 07:49   #2594
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A fellow XUV-owner conveyed this:

Quote:
The other day I was driving in P2 mode and overtaking and suddenly lost power and heard a huge hissing and knew some hose had come off, on inspection found the hose from the turbo to the intercooler come off. What i noticed surprisingly was the amount of oil that had sprayed i the engine bay. The Air side should actually have no oil carryover, when i mentioned this to the RM he said it is normal, But this is not normal. has anyone else noticed this. This can choke the Intercooler over a period of time.
Any thoughts?
Old 25th April 2014, 13:16   #2595

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I haven't really made up my mind regarding fabrication of the metallic engine bottom guard. Inputs from anyone who have actually got such guards made would be very useful.

I am interested in purchasing an OBD-II (with bluetooth) device for my XUV which I can use in conjunction with my Android smartphone. Would like to know about reliable brands and sources.

Hi debuda ,
Not did this for my XUV but have done it for both gypsy and mahindra jeep (old)
What I did was not sheet metal. Any sheet you may find a fabricator willing for to shape into something usable , will definitely be nothing better than plastic and in some cases worse. Sheet lacks spring type nature, so it will crumple on impact and them stay in that shape, probably touching and grinding against the crankcase, that it was supposed to protect. Not to forget the annoying noise it makes in the process. So no shape retention is definitely bad. And the strength itself of such a thing will be sub par and so in case of impact it will HIT THE ENGINE CASE WITH THE SAME FORCE AS THE STONE but with no cushion to absorb the energy of impact, which incidentally even rocks sometimes offer, by shattering or being deflected.
That being said there is one perfect solution that I thought of and have used successfully. What has shape retention? A SPRING OF COURSE!!
In this case one of the strips put of the mini truck suspension.
Lot can be found for cheap with highway repair shops. Kamani Patta is what it's calledं.
Take 2 selecting a suitable one based on size of your wheel base . For jeep a I used one from Tara 407 . Install them across the bottom and once my jeep went nose down in a ditch (front tyres) but the underbody was comfortable held 2 inch above ground ,slightly rocking on the trusty suspension plates.
I also have put a huge single under the body, across the width and it is the best ever skid plate I have seen . And you can easily push slide your vehicle from over a boulder in see saw situations because there is very little friction from the plate havin a very small area of contact with the boulder. Try it you will love the liberation it offers to off road bashers.
Thanks
Piyush
rubbermeetsroad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks