Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:27   #751
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Mine also failed as documented earlier. It's an October batch.
Apart from other niggles reported there is one more flaw. If we start the car and it's in 1st gear, the gear indicator shows it as neutral. I particularly find it annoying because it does not have the feature as in my previous car Verna, where we have to depress the clutch to start the car.
Thanks Rohit! I forgot yours.
So among TBHPians there have been 3 cases of clutch failures/replacements: anandtheleo (Oct'11 vehicle), rohitbagai (Oct'11 vehicle) and JeepSomeday. There is no clear information about JeepSomeday's XUV batch, but its a AWD model booked in the first 10 days of booking. So 99% its going to be a first-batch vehicle.

So all three cases seem to be of vehicles manufactured about 9 months back.

Have there been any cases on more recent vehicles?
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:04   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
So among TBHPians there have been 3 cases of clutch failures/replacements: anandtheleo (Oct'11 vehicle), rohitbagai (Oct'11 vehicle) and JeepSomeday. There is no clear information about JeepSomeday's XUV batch, but its a AWD model booked in the first 10 days of booking. So 99% its going to be a first-batch vehicle.

Now this is scary. Mine too is from the first batch. Not sure if i should proactively get it changed or not.
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:51   #753
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
By the way, the water jet looks so feeble it resembles a municipal water connecton on a 14th floor apartment, ready to die any moment. Barely reaches the bottom of the screen on a dipping trajectory. This is much unlike any other car where jet is pretty powerful and by adjusting the nozzle direction can even be made to hit the top of the screen! Is this the same with everyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Yes, I have observed the same thing. My 6 years old Palio has 4 times more powerful jet than these ones. I have used it only couple of times so far, going to try that one more time and see whether it was just one off instance.
Quote:
Perfect observation and a good sense of humor there with the comparison to municipal water connection. The spray is just too feeble. Both, front as well as rear. I am going to adjust the jets to see if the trajectory changes.
This is not really an issue. Just adjust the nozzles upwards and the sprays reach the entire glass area nicely. Saw the nozzles being adjusted for one XUV at the service center. Forgot to get it done for my XUV. Did it myself yesterday and it is working like a charm now.

False alarm, guys! Enjoy.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:11   #754
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

I have seen an Apr manufactured W8 with burnt clutch plate in the A*S. Couldn't speak to the owner but what the RM told me was that it was due to bad driving technique. What I recollect from Rohit's and Anand's post was that clutch in their cars malfunctioned due to master/slave cylinder failures. In both these cases the plates weren't burnt.

I drive Indica also and I find even Indica's clutch to be softer to press than XUV. But then XUV has got a hydraulic clutch and the plates engage/disengage with hyd pressure. What we feel on the foot is the pressure required to operate the master cylinder and the tension of the return spring and not the plates as in cars like Indica.

I think hardness of pedal is a malfunction / impending malfunction of master cylinder and needs to be shown to the A*S at the earliest. Since amount of hardness is a subjective issue, as advised by one of the members we must compare ours with one of the newer models and then assess for ourselves.

Willing to stand corrected if any body has factual info. The above mentioned is my empirical inference.
PGA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:51   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
A Dual Mass Clutch assembly has NO RUBBER / Polyeurathene parts for lubrication.
You are correct. On checking this with RM I was told that they just lubricated the pedal. Well, that was not the end of the story. Within one week, the same issue reappeared ( clutch pedal getting stuck and once you pull it up it starts behaving normally ) and this time *** did a clutch bleeding as they suspected an air blockage.

Within three days encountered the same issue again and finally they replaced the master cylinder. It has been three weeks since the cylinder replacement and so far the going has been smooth!

Mine is a May manufactured vehicle. So it it not safe to assume that only the first lot of XUVs have clutch problems. I had expected some element of niggles in the vehicle, but had never expected this many number of trips to *** within the first month of ownership.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:10   #756
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Within three days encountered the same issue again and finally they replaced the master cylinder. It has been three weeks since the cylinder replacement and so far the going has been smooth!

Mine is a May manufactured vehicle. So it it not safe to assume that only the first lot of XUVs have clutch problems. I had expected some element of niggles in the vehicle, but had never expected this many number of trips to *** within the first month of ownership.

-- Wind
Wind, thanks for the details. Are we sure that we are talking about the same issue? Somehow I don't recollect it was the master-cylinder that was replaced in the case of the other three. I remember seeing the pictures of the clutch assembly's internals (clutch plate etc) on this thread. So these might as well be 2 entirely different issues.

anandtheleo, jeepSomeday, righitbagai... you want to comment about what exactly was replaced when the clutch gave problem in your vehicles?

Edit:
Here's a link to what was replaced when Rohit faced the issue:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2810148

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
...No real update yet, except that the car is at the workshop and they are saying that the 'slave' cylinder has failed. So they are replacing the entire clutch unit with a new one - the new design some of you were talking about
PS: After digging out the relevant posts from rohit and jeepsomeday, it does look like the same/similar problem. Primarily to do with the hydraulics - the master or the slave cylinder.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd August 2012 at 23:29.
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:46   #757
BHPian

In my vehicle the cluctch cover assembly, the release bearings and the master cylinder were replaced, the plates were not changed as they were fine.

Also please note, since XUV has a transverse engine, both front wheels, both the front suspensions, the air filter assembly, the battery box, the gearbox all have to be removed to access the clutch. So it is not a easy job and there is plenty of places for further niggles to occur if the reassembly is not upto the mark. I took a gamble, let me see.
anandtheleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 02:06   #758
BHPian

In my case the problem was slave cylinder, but they changed the clutch/ pressure plates, the clutch cover and the cylinder. When I asked them why did they change the cover they said its because of change in design of the plates and the cylinder.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 09:15   #759
BHPian

Quote:

-- Wind
Forgot to add that in my case there was no clutch fluid leak in all the three instances. IIRC some of the clutch issues reported in the forum was accompanied by clutch fluid leaks also.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 17:14   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind

Forgot to add that in my case there was no clutch fluid leak in all the three instances. IIRC some of the clutch issues reported in the forum was accompanied by clutch fluid leaks also.

-- Wind
From what i heard from the works manager, the clutch Design in XUV is such that there wont be any clutch fluid leakage outside the housing, to find out any leakage we/A** have to monitor for any drop in the reservoir. Can someone confirm if there was accompaniment of clutch fluid during clutch issues.

Had been to the service center today to set right a persistent rattle in the air filter box in idle. Seems a clip had come lose and the air filter hose had come off.

Saw one more XUV there with clutch failure, the car was a 2011 mfg car and the registration number of it was near my series, so i am guessing should be near my mfg date. It had run 6340 kms.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 09:51   #761
BANNED

Quote:
In this age of technology, Mahindras can actually look at having a video version of the user manual which can easily be played on the infotainment system itself.
An Android app is available in the Google Play store which explains the warning lamps , keeps fuel record and has all the contact nos in one plcae. Try it - XUV500.
spkingsley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 10:38   #762
BHPian

Quote:

-- Wind
Thanks for your inputs Wind! as I am awaiting delivery, this is a bit scary. I was hoping only the first lot had the major issues but from your account, the clutch issue exists at least until May 12. Anyone one else who have their XUV's delivered after May having these kind of major issues?
Certainly would not want to pick up a vehicle at 16 lakh and keep visiting the workshop every week or have myself stranded on the road.
Old 5th August 2012, 12:11   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Thanks for your inputs Wind! as I am awaiting delivery, this is a bit scary. I was hoping only the first lot had the major issues but from your account, the clutch issue exists at least until May 12. Anyone one else who have their XUV's delivered after May having these kind of major issues?
Certainly would not want to pick up a vehicle at 16 lakh and keep visiting the workshop every week or have myself stranded on the road.
I am not very happy with M&M in Hyderabad though. They have very limited space for vehicles to service and i'm really suprised why M&M don't have more Service centers.

I have actually cancelled my booking upon reading all the niggles and problems. I don't care if i spend 16 lakhs or 7 lakhs on a car. I wouldn't want to compromise on service and reliability.

They deducted 5,000 as cancellation charges and i thought that was fair enough.
Old 5th August 2012, 19:31   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
I am not very happy with M&M in Hyderabad though. They have very limited space for vehicles to service and i'm really suprised why M&M don't have more Service centers.

I have actually cancelled my booking upon reading all the niggles and problems. I don't care if i spend 16 lakhs or 7 lakhs on a car. I wouldn't want to compromise on service and reliability.

krreddy, i have been a scorpio user since Sep 2005 till Dec 2011 and driven 125k km, the problems / niggles that i have read in this thread being faced by XUV users are exact same that i have faced during my Scorpio ownership. I am surprised that other than may be design elements they have kept everything else the same, i am shocked rather than surprised, yours seems to be a good decision to me if all the niggles mentioned in this thread still exists on XUV.
Old 5th August 2012, 20:45   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post

hmm.. i have had this thought cross my mind a few times as well. However, I am somehow in love this vehicle as well. the engine, the road presence etc, are difficult to match. Also, I have not seen many complaints from folks who took delivery after May/June and also see that M&M has been responsive to issues and is making improvement. I think I am going to place my faith and hold on unless I hear other horror stories. Hoping for the best

Most Viewed