Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 18:38   #871
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Hi. I have noticed a very strange thing in my XUV. When I turn on the AC in normal mode(air direction only on the face of the passengers), there is a certain amount of flow from the air vents at the feet of both the front and rear passengers. At lower ac speeds and lower air volumes, this is not noticeable, but at higher ac speeds i can distinctly feel cold air coming in the feet area too. I have 3 other cars too & i tried to see for the same situation in them also, but air flow from the feet ac vents is negligible. The downside to the above happening is that when I'm alone and driving the car and put the ac flow at level 1(lowest), there is comparatively lesser cool air blowing towards my face.

Is it normal for other XUV owners too , and is it possible to eradicate the flow from the lower ac vents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
The app is currently for iPhone only.

Does it continue to come from floor vents or stops after a minute or so?
This is a feature clearly mentioned in the Manual. Wear shoes with socks while driving your SUV!
Old 25th August 2012, 22:35   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Meanwhile for the brake grinding issue, looks like there is some good news. I am testing a new solution for the past two days and the results are very positive. I will confirm the status after my upcoming 700 KMs drive on coming Saturday.
Folks,

I have completed approximate 1000 kms after the brake rework for fixing grinding issue. That includes a non-stop high speed drive of 400 kms on 4 lane highway and then a 150 kms through rainy gatt section with winding roads. The brake grinding noise is just gone! (at least till now). The braking effectiveness is brilliant and I don’t see too much of brake dust accumulated unlike the old set of pads..

To summarize the fix for my issues having two parts:
1) A new set of brake pads (only pads) for all four wheels.
2) A new set of bushes for front stabilizer bar.

So looks like the finally M&M is having a solution for brake grinding noise. Also the suspension rattle is gone with the changes of stabilizer bar bushes.

Currently the only niggle i have is the Infotainment system stops playing from USB by itself after a while. My RM acknowledged the problem and he is waiting a firmware upgrade to be released. I will be covering another 1000 kms in next one week. Will be updating the findings soon.

-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 08:56   #873
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^^
HCP, its good to hear that your brake grinding issue is resolved.

The way I look at it, all the niggles can be categorized into two buckets:
1. Part-quality and QC issues
2. Design issues

The "Part-quality and QC issues" would be one-off and if you unlucky, your vehicle or a batch of vehicles would have them. e.g. the clutch hardness issues, the door-not-locking (door alignment) issue, outside smell seeping in issue (most likely some mechanical flap stuck) etc

The other category is the "Design Issues". Brake-Grinding-Noise is a prominent example of a design issue, where the choice of material used and/or its properties and/or behaviour and/or the shape/usage of the part is not correct. Another example is the steering column rubbing against the foot when clutch is pressed.

For these "Design Issues" at least, I expect M&M to come out in open and address them publicly. A timeline for resolution and finally a recall-schedule is also expected.

M&M just keeping quiet about it and waiting for people to "discover" the design-issues is just going to create doubt in the minds of existing owners and prospective buyers alike.

Edit: Off-topic - Just noticed that its my 1000th post! When I joined the forum 2.5 years back, never thought that I would reach 1000 posts ever. Hope at least a few of these 1000 posts have been meaningful and have helped others

Last edited by SDP : 26th August 2012 at 09:01.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 10:50   #874
BHPian

I am considering the XUV 500 W8 version but am concerned by so many niggles that seem to be mentioned on the forum. At the same time there seems to be no owner who says they are fed up. Does this mean that these niggles are being taken care of by M&M. When I spoke to the dealer I was informed that the issues were with the first batch. Is this true? Can we have a list of resolved issues and exisiting issues that have been acknowledged. It will give a clearer picture of how serious M&M is about resolving it. Also it will help people like me make a more informed decision regarding the purchase.

Last edited by chittybang : 26th August 2012 at 10:55. Reason: spelling error
Old 26th August 2012, 11:04   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I am considering the XUV 500 W8 version but am concerned by so many niggles that seem to be mentioned on the forum. At the same time there seems to be no owner who says they are fed up. Does this mean that these niggles are being taken care of by M&M. When I spoke to the dealer I was informed that the issues were with the first batch. Is this true? Can we have a list of resolved issues and exisiting issues that have been acknowledged. It will give a clearer picture of how serious M&M is about resolving it. Also it will help people like me make a more informed decision regarding the purchase.
I have booked a white W8. I believe most of the niggles are not really worth really losing your sleep over. Almost all have been fixed by now.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:47   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have booked a white W8. I believe most of the niggles are not really worth really losing your sleep over. Almost all have been fixed by now.
Congrats on the booking. What is the waiting period promised to you? Its nice to know most of the them have been fixed. Could you let me know which are the pending issues and what seems to be the M&M line on dealing with it. Most importantly what is the status on the grinding noise of the brakes? Is there any safety concerns with it?
Old 26th August 2012, 12:22   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you let me know which are the pending issues and what seems to be the M&M line on dealing with it. Most importantly what is the status on the grinding noise of the brakes? Is there any safety concerns with it?
Pending issue seems to be the infotainment error which sometimes skips reading from USBs. M&M has apparently solved the brake grinding noise by changing the pads to newer design ones.
Old 26th August 2012, 16:00   #878
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While you are still considering the XUV5OO, why don't you approach the sales-staff to provide a list of issues that have been fixed and if possible a list of issues which are still open?

It would help a lot to most of us.
Old 27th August 2012, 09:58   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
While you are still considering the XUV5OO, why don't you approach the sales-staff to provide a list of issues that have been fixed and if possible a list of issues which are still open?

It would help a lot to most of us.
Hi,
Just booked a W6. I spoke to the sales staff at length about the issues. He proactly told me the list of complaints that he has heard regarding the vehicles from customers which were mostly fixed (he agreed the steering touching the feet issue is not fixed yet to his knowledge). But they dont have any official statement from M&M regarding the list of issues
gandalf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 21:19   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
^^^

The way I look at it, all the niggles can be categorized into two buckets:
1. Part-quality and QC issues
2. Design issues

The "Part-quality and QC issues" would be one-off and if you unlucky, your vehicle or a batch of vehicles would have them. e.g. the clutch hardness issues, the door-not-locking (door alignment) issue, outside smell seeping in issue (most likely some mechanical flap stuck) etc

The other category is the "Design Issues". Brake-Grinding-Noise is a prominent example of a design issue, where the choice of material used and/or its properties and/or behaviour and/or the shape/usage of the part is not correct. Another example is the steering column rubbing against the foot when clutch is pressed.

For these "Design Issues" at least, I expect M&M to come out in open and address them publicly. A timeline for resolution and finally a recall-schedule is also expected.

M&M just keeping quiet about it and waiting for people to "discover" the design-issues is just going to create doubt in the minds of existing owners and prospective buyers alike.

Agree with you.

Some of the one off quality issues may be actually be design issues as well.

For example, the air vent smell issue is there in the Scorpio as well and it is likely due to mechanical flap not working when switching back to recirculating from fresh air mode.
Old 27th August 2012, 23:10   #881
BHPian

I will try to get a list of unresolved issues when I visit the sales center tomorrow. I was informed by the sales rep that the Amazon green has been discontinued. Is this correct info? Are the clutch issues resolved? What about the brake noise? Regarding the waiting period , I am being told that they will be able to arrange the vehicle for me at my prefered date. Does this mean that waiting period has come down or is this a sign that there has been a huge amount of cancellations? What bothers me is that at my first visit I was informed that if I booked today the delivery could be as late as April next year. After showing that I am a serious customer I was informed of a 3 to 4 month wait period. Now on a follow up call I am told they can arrange it to my needs. Is something amiss?
Old 28th August 2012, 02:10   #882
BHPian

Quote:
As per my knowledge, there were multiple issues due to poor quality components used were promptly fixed. You may not see them in current batches of XUVs. But there are exceptions like infotainment system related niggles are quality related, but not fixed yet. I feel M&M did a mistake by choosing Nippon as single supplier. If I were the sourcing manager, I would have gone for Blaupunkt just because this is the most likely human interacting part of the car and I would never take a chance there. M&M is receiving so much of bad reviews and damage to their reputation just because of this supplier. M&M should have woken up and acted on it long before.

But you will still see most of the design issues even in current batch, that required quite a bit of engineering and real world testing to fix. For example:

1. Doors not closing easily when all windows are up. This is due to Air lock inside the car.
2. Wiper washer not spraying water properly resulting in dry wipe (Wiper itself is blocking water spray when in resting position).

In normal situations such issues will be addressed during a model refresh / face lift.

Even after considering all these niggles I would still rate it as the best SUV for that money in Indian market. The more I drive it I am getting addicted to it. Its so much fun to drive in highways as well as hilly areas. Even though I have seen many complaints about its handling, I personally feel this is the best handling car I have ever owned (apart from the brake response -1 mark for that). Forget all of them, there is no car in market can give protection of 8 airbags to my family with that money. If I am in market with 16 lakhs today, I would still buy one just for its safety features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

I totally agree with you. M&M should have at least acknowledged the design issues to current owners and provided a timeline for fix. they should have advised on workaround / temporary mitigation so that a lot of owner dissatisfaction through public media would have been avoided. Also such move will earn a lot of confidence in company in a much better way than the purple club freebies can earn.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 28th August 2012 at 02:23.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 08:32   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the waiting period , I am being told that they will be able to arrange the vehicle for me at my prefered date. Does this mean that waiting period has come down or is this a sign that there has been a huge amount of cancellations?
1) M&M has increased the production of XUV from 2000 vehicles a month to 3800.
2) Not a lot of people prefer to book cars in the rainy season. So, not just for XUV, but in general, sales are low in this season. It will regain during Diwali and then again die in December (year end). So the right time to book is - NOW!
Old 28th August 2012, 14:27   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Folks,

I have completed approximate 1000 kms after the brake rework for fixing grinding issue.
The brake grinding noise is just gone! (at least till now). The braking effectiveness is brilliant and I don’t see too much of brake dust accumulated unlike the old set of pads..

To summarize the fix for my issues having two parts:
1) A new set of brake pads (only pads) for all four wheels.
2) A new set of bushes for front stabilizer bar.

-HCP
Thanks HCP!! This is useful information and sounds like Mahindra have finally found a good solution to one of the core issues.
Can you or other owners confirm if this solution is going to be rolled out to all XUV's ? Not sure if their production lines are being updated as well.. Am curious and selfish as I have been informed that my XUV W8 (Black) would be delivered around the first week of October . I am hoping all these fixes are being incorporated into their production lines..
Can't wait to get my hands on this beast!!
Old 28th August 2012, 20:41   #885
BHPian

I spoke to the senior sales staff at G 3 motors nerul and was informed that the Amazon green has indeed been discontinued. Regarding the niggles he accepted that there was a break noise issue but it has now been resolved after a design change to the pads. How true is this? Anyone with more info? He also agreed that the infotaiment section has been the problem area but since the latest firmware update there has been no complaints. He accepts that the door not closing is still present and frankly behaved as if its not a big deal since he knows honda's that have the same problem. I do not know if any Honda has such an issue but I don't care because I dont think its acceptable at any price point. There seems to be no plans to rectify it. So can the onwers inform if all the vehicles have it. If so then I suppose only a refresh or face lift will get the changes.
The sales team denied knowing if any clutch related issues in the new batch. So will need updates from new owners regarding the status of the clutch. The headlights conking off was also claimed to be only a first batch problem. In short all problems are claimed to be a first batch issue and has since been recitified except for the infotainment section. There seems to be further firmware updates on the way to resolve existing issues. Also there is no offers or discounts. Is this true? Can someone advice on the same?
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks