Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 15:43   #16
BHPian

Re: XUV 5OO niggles and their solutions

Update:

None of the issues I reported, barring the navigation problem have been resolved as yet (I haven't had the time/chance to drop the vehicle at the SVC), and new ones have cropped up.

1) I'm getting a scraping noise from the front left wheel during acceleration from 20-40 kmph. It's like something's holding the wheel and it's hampering the acceleration.

2) The steering seems to have become a little hard.

3) I'm getting low mileage figures of 11 kmpl with mostly highway usage at speeds between 80-110 kmph.

Dropping the car off at SKS tomorrow. Let's see what they say.
Old 27th December 2011, 01:03   #17
BHPian

My set of minor niggles :
- Gear shift was notchy & hard : Resolved with the syntheic oil replacement, however not as smooth as i would have wanted it to be.
- Squeaking sound from Drivers seat : This is a new issue that came in 2 days back
- Marginal steering mis-alignment : While driving straight , the steering is a little tilted i.e. about 10 degrees off.
- Grinding noise while braking hard : as reported by others as well.
- bluetooth mobile not audible : People on the other side of the call cannot seem to hear me well.
Would be sending it to the A$$ next weekend for a check up.
Other than the above - I AM LOVING IT !!!
sidwadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 10:09   #18
BHPian

What we can see in this thread is that almost every second XUV shipped till date has a minor niggle .

This showcases the pressure a company has to release a car and that our Indian cars have a long way to go in the testing department .( Quality - Who heads Quality in M & M , TATA ??? )

XUV was supposed to have been extensively tested all over India , all conditions .

Major problems like gear shift , clutch , breaking should be resolved in the long test drives done by the company.

The Entertainment system issues needs Nippon 's help as this is a completely outsourced to the Automotive OE.

The door locking and other issues need major attention as this all shows lack of quality in the car .

As pointed by GTO in one of the threads , Indian car vendors have to keep up the quality of every car they ship . This is surely lacking in the Indian car eco system
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 10:25   #19
BHPian

Wanted inputs from fellow XUVians .Is anyone else facing these issues ?

1) Last couple of days , Im getting a grinding noise, only when braking at slow speeds, the typical Blore bumper-to bumper rides .

2) The front passenger door has a unique issue. If the passenger unlocks the door before the driver does it, the door does not open. One needs to get down , then try to lock-unlock using the remote , and open from the outside. I took it to ASC for testing, but it worked fine on that day.

3) I have a triangular dark spot from the RHS head light. As in pic. Not sure if an led is blocking the throw. RM is not able to figure this either.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img00679201111102102.jpg  

Old 28th December 2011, 10:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

IMO, This is normal in all car's Headlight.
Light throw is like \___ \___ only. Lower side will be lighten.
Do check the Headlight Focus alignment, seems, it's relaitively short.
Do check the headlight leveler in your car.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai
Wanted inputs from fellow XUVians .Is anyone else facing these issues ?

1) Last couple of days , Im getting a grinding noise, only when braking at slow speeds, the typical Blore bumper-to bumper rides .

2) The front passenger door has a unique issue. If the passenger unlocks the door before the driver does it, the door does not open. One needs to get down , then try to lock-unlock using the remote , and open from the outside. I took it to ASC for testing, but it worked fine on that day.

3) I have a triangular dark spot from the RHS head light. As in pic. Not sure if an led is blocking the throw. RM is not able to figure this either.
1) Reported by many others here on this thread. It's supposed to be a design issue as informed by the ASC.
2) No problem on mine.
3) Headlight on my XUV working perfectly. In fact it's the best I've seen on an Indian car so far. Probably need to do some alignment on yours? I'd be annoyed with such a huge dark spot in the light.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
RHS side project always has lesser throw than LHS to avoid glare in the opposite side traffic.

Incase the beam is going too low, You can get the projector lamp checked in-case it hasn't sinked low or not

Can you post a picture of the head lamp it self
Old 28th December 2011, 11:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Seems that a lot of R&D is being done at the expense of the owners of the first lot. The subsequent owners should hope to get a slightly better vehicl with at least all the known issues taken care off.
Looks like someone has rightly nailed the right formula for doing business with Indian Customer !! First you sell (SALES) him a 12L Premium SUV, and then let him run to the After-Sales (SERVICE) guys for the rest of his life OR till he dumps the vehicle finally !! Make money from both Sales and Service !!

Even the KIA which sells CHEAP cars in US doesn't have such issues when they launch a new model !!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th December 2011 at 12:07. Reason: Do not copy paste from other applications. Remove font/colour tags before posting.
junkishya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 13:51   #24
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
Looks like someone has rightly nailed the right formula for doing business with Indian Customer !! First you sell (SALES) him a 12L Premium SUV, and then let him run to the After-Sales (SERVICE) guys for the rest of his life OR till he dumps the vehicle finally !! Make money from both Sales and Service !!
Let's be fair here. XUV is NOT a premium SUV. In fact, I don't even consider the Fortuner which costs almost double as a premium SUV.

XUV is costlier than the current entry level SUVs (Scorpio, Safari) and that's all. It still does not make it a "premium SUV".

If you ask me, I would reserve that tag for Audi Q7 and the likes.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:24   #25

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

All - I got a new XUV on 16th Nov 11 and have driven around 2500 Km till date.

The usual problems:

1. Braking sound - probably from front wheels (occasionally)
2. Clock - does not show correct time. Lags behind on normal mode. When synced to satellite - shows about 1:30 min lag.
3. TPMS - Occasionally shows error for left front and left rear wheels - then resets itself to OK.

Regards.

Asheesh
Old 30th December 2011, 18:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
....3) I have a triangular dark spot from the RHS head light. As in pic. Not sure if an led is blocking the throw. RM is not able to figure this either.
I can also see dark spot from the RHS Head light.....

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 08:42. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 1st January 2012, 21:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
I can also see dark spot from the RHS Head light.....
This is not a problem. This is as per the EU safety standards that we follow in India. The reason behind such a design is to avoid blinding the oncoming trafic and at the same time get more throw towards the left side for seeing pedestrains etc.

More details can be found here: Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The same can be noiced on all HID projector and normal Halogen lamps.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 00:40   #28
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Yes I agree mate... its much better then yellow sticker pasted on headlight...
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
This is not a problem. This is as per the EU safety standards that we follow in India. The reason behind such a design is to avoid blinding the oncoming trafic and at the same time get more throw towards the left side for seeing pedestrains etc.

If that is the case, I feel they have overdone it in my XUV. I cant see the RHS. Its a big dark spot which doesnt cover up even on high beam.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 08:42. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 8th January 2012, 03:25   #30
BHPian

Hi, I picked up the XUV on the 6th of Jan and have had my share of niggles as well.

Firstly the LEDs on the left headlamps have a mind of their own and work when they want to. Believe it's a faulty connection and have been assured by my RM( who must say has been really responsive and prompt) will be changed.

The ODO meter has a slight black line at the bottom almost like it has cracked, need to sort that out though. The infotainment system through some exception error that got solved on a restart. So here's where things stand as of today. Hope not to have a reason to post any more niggles on this forum

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 08:43. Reason: edited post for better readability

Most Viewed