Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 14:11   #1726
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Pulling to left seems to be a very common problem in XUV. I have this from day one and from then on reported at service center at 3 different instances. The RM always convinced me that it is due to the road sliding towards left.....
This has been reported n number of times on this thread and I have come to the conclusion that this is a Design issue. Last time the service-center lowered the pressure to 22psi in my right front tyre as part of fixing the "vehicle pulls to the left" issue ! I am going to complain to my RM this Saturday and ask for readings print-out when the alignment is done this time. The vehicle is going for a 10K service this Saturday.

Quote:
There is a rattle kind of noise from front suspension. As per M&M this is from the stabilizer bar and caused due to play between the bar and joint bushes. Last time when I complained they had fixed it and informed me that they have changed the rubber bush. After 1000 kms issue reappeared. captured in below picture what i have observed when inspected myself. When asked my RM told that this is how they fix the rattle sound. I have no clue when M&M will really standardize their service methods. Really surprised to such shoddy job from an authorized dealer.
Again this is a common problem. I have reported it every time I have visited the service center and the balancer bar bushes have been replaced in my car 3-4 times till date. They are dirt cheap anyways ..80Rs per piece or something. Unfortunately the sound comes back after driving a few hundred kms. So again I believe this is a design issue and the final bush design seems still not in place. Would check with my RM again this weekend.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing the jugaad pics. Is that a piece of rubber or a plastic that they have used to reduce/eliminate the play of the bushes?

Last edited by SDP : 15th May 2013 at 14:14.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 15:46   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
EDIT: Thanks for sharing the jugaad pics. Is that a piece of rubber or a plastic that they have used to reduce/eliminate the play of the bushes?
That is a regular electrical insulation tape. The wound that around the bar and fix the bushes back. This time when I complained about this he added more tape
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 22:04   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Hi FundaG, what was the reason for the hard gear shifts and what the solution ?

My new Xuv had this issue with 1,2 & 3 gears very hard to slot but have eased out after crossing 800 Kms, but still I find it tough to slot especially in the 2nd gear while running.

I dont remember the exact thing that was done as it has been 4-5 months and lot of niggles taken care of with replacement of parts.

The then RM mentioned something like they changed some spring or pin or bush or something like that. The gear shift was smooth for somedays post this and again become hard. I could not slot it into reverse directly, had to slot to 1st or 3rd before shifting to reverse. When i complained again on this, believe they replaced the oil. And post that its been good so far. ODO vise it should have been around 7000-8000 kms before they finally got it right for me.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 23:04   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Raj, you can also confirm once you get your beta testing done
For sure, I will post an update once my car has been to the A.S.S.

But that will take atleast 15 days.
Old 16th May 2013, 19:12   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Are all these issues taken care in the current batch of XUV's. I am on the verge of booking (can wait another couple of months though).

The final thought is on the model (W6 vs the W8) since I find only the Alloy wheels & the W8 ICE as my additional requirements over the W6 offering.

Can someone guide me on the cost of replacement of both prior to delivery
Why waist time and money and that too with mahindra electronics. Go for after market ICE and Alloys. Alloys you would get as cheap as 20K. Trust me. For ICE you can do n number of things to make it way better than W8 screen. So my advice would be, take W6 and get everything from outside.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 00:05   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Why waist time and money and that too with mahindra electronics. Go for after market ICE and Alloys. Alloys you would get as cheap as 20K. Trust me. For ICE you can do n number of things to make it way better than W8 screen. So my advice would be, take W6 and get everything from outside.
That makes sense for an audiophile.

But for a person who is not a car audio fanatic, the integrated systems in the screen of the W8 along with the TPMS and GPS makes more sense. Also, the way the dash of the XUV is made (integrated HU), installing an aftermarket HU in this premium vehicle (relatively!) will make the dash look ugly and untidy.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 09:01   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
That is my thought process too, I am hunting around for a good set of alloys and an exchange offer for steel wheels, ICE can wait till later.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:05   #1733
BHPian

I too hand issues while slotting the gears in 1st and 2nd. 3rd and subsequent gears were not an issue. A well informed mechanic mentioned to me that the clutch has to be fully pressed, to ensure that the gear shift is smooth. Earlier I used to press the clutch leaving almost about 1/3. But now make it a practice to floor the pedal and don't have slotting issues. Try this and let us know if you feel any difference.

On FE, I have been meticulously calculating my figures and over the last 10k km, I'm convinced that the FE on the display is more or less real time. While driving in bumper to bumper traffic, you'll have to keep the AC on econ mode to conserve fuel. On the other hand, switching off the econ on highway runs, gives great mileage. On city rides, with econ, I get around 12.6 kmpl and on highways almost the same. This is is with 7 adults on board. On highway trips, with the econ off, the mileage is 15.4 kmpl (!!). Confirmed this via tank fill method as well. So the econ is actually city econ.

The Cheetah is going for her 2nd service (10K) service tomorrow. My speakers, all of them are giving a weird noise after upping the volume. Apart from this, no issues atall. Happy owner !
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 12:18   #1734
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
... A well informed mechanic mentioned to me that the clutch has to be fully pressed, to ensure that the gear shift is smooth. ...

...On city rides, with econ, I get around 12.6 kmpl and on highways almost the same. This is is with 7 adults on board. On highway trips, with the econ off, the mileage is 15.4 kmpl (!!). Confirmed this via tank fill method as well. So the econ is actually city econ.
Good update! I have had similar observations myself. Highway with AC off, that is something I need to try.

Quote:
The Cheetah is going for her 2nd service (10K) service tomorrow. My speakers, all of them are giving a weird noise after upping the volume. Apart from this, no issues atall. Happy owner !
Even my XUV is going for the 10K service tomorrow! Vehicle pulling to the left and the balancer-bar noise are the concerns I am going to report. Nothing much as compared to the list of 6-7 that I used to carry earlier.
Old 17th May 2013, 13:07   #1735
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, I just returned from Goa last night and I had an experience with my vehicle which I thought I should post here for the reference of other owners.

Before I start, my vehicle is an Aug 2012 model done 8.5k kms now, which got the parts update a couple of months ago from Anant Cars Bangalore. My previous Service Station was Sireesh Auto (where I bought the vehicle as well) where I did not find my RM competent enough. I had complained about the same to M&M and the work was done at Anant Cars very professionally under the supervision of Kavita.

Previously I had a kind of grinding sound and had asked my RM at Sireesh to look into changing the pads to the new design (I'm a senior on TBHP!!) and he said its only due to the ABS etc. and not to worry as my vehicle already has the new pads etc. I never bothered as my brakes were fine, save for the occasional grinding sound. I let it be.

I left from Bangalore to Goa on 10th May 2013 on the usual Hubli-Ankola-Goa route and was staying at Anjuna in North Goa. I was with my wife, son (7yrs) and an aunt. Somewhere around Karwar itself, my display started showing a "Front Brake Pads Worn Out!! Drive At Reduced Speed" message !! I was confident that my pads were fine and thought this must be a false alarm or sensor problem. But about 50kms on, there was heavy grinding and a kind of constant squeaking from the front left wheel. It was quite late and I had to reach North Goa and find a place to stay as I had not booked earlier (always prefer this in Goa). I managed to reach and book a resort and every inch of my body was tired from driving 700kms (alone!) so thought I'd deal with the vehicle situation next day.

So, Saturday (11th May 2013) morning I got my laptop out, tethered it to my Android phone, and there was some weak signal and I shot off an email to the VP CC M&M and to the regional manager Prahalad Kulkarni updating them about my situation. That was it. I could not be bothered anymore as I was in Goa and I wanted to kick back a bit!!

Come Sunday Morning (12th May 2013), I got a couple of frantic calls from Muktar Auto (based in Verna, Goa) and a Mr. Rajesh Jagtap from M&M Mumbai, Kavita (RM, Anant Cars, Bangalore) and Nilesh (Service Manager, Muktar Auto, Goa) and by 4PM, a M&M service vehicle reached my resort and it was checked. They said they'd have to take it back to the Service Station (in VErna, about 50kms away!). I sent the vehicle with them and was constantly updated on the situation and was also being checked on by Kavita from Bangalore and others. The pads were replaced, the vehicle cleaned & washed and delivered back to me by Monday evening (13th May 2013)!

Though I'm pretty mad because my brake pads were not attended to earlier, I am satisfied by the way M&M reacted to my situation and went about sorting it out in a systematic and professional manner. Kudos M&M for taking care of its customer and not making my Holiday a mess !!

BTW, my XUV on the highway is a another story altogether and I literally FLEW back to Bangalore last night and the brakes were fantastic !!! I love my XUV !!!
NIP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 19:26   #1736
BHPian

Some of you may be aware that Debuda is on an expedition to Ladakh from Jamshedpur. This morning I received a call from him from Kargil. His XUV was refusing to start despite the crank. Fuel tank was full and the battery was fine. Very soon the engine malfunction alert came on, and shortly thereafter several other alerts relating to ABS and other stuff. My details are a bit sketchy but I'm sure Debuda will update everybody in his inimitable style thru' his technical report over the next week to ten days.

He filed a complaint with M&M and they said that the nearest XUV dealer was at Srinagar 300 kms away and they were sending a flatbed to tow it back. Debuda was convinced that mechanically the car was fine and that the on board computer was shutting down the engine etc, and he was not at all keen for the car to be towed back since that would upset all his plans.

From what I can gather, M&M response was pretty good and they had a dealer in Kargil that basically handles Scorpios, Boleros etc. Those guys were the first responders, and they identified the problem as moisture in the fuse box. Apparently while crossing Zozila pass yesterday, they had to wade through some watery stretches and that caused the problem.

From what I gather after the fuses were cleaned out, the car was just fine. I think Debuda drove off as per his itinerary around mid day.

Just to share this "FIR" with everybody as this is a pretty new experience. You'll hear loads more from Debuda in a few days replete with pictures.
Heavy Horse is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 20:20   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Some of you may be aware that Debuda is on an expedition to Ladakh from Jamshedpur.

Just to share this "FIR" with everybody as this is a pretty new experience. You'll hear loads more from Debuda in a few days replete with pictures.
Thanks for sharing this "FIR" Heavy Horse. All eyes now towards Debuda's Leh Travelogue. Debuda was indeed lucky not to get stuck up in his expedition. Wishing him all the very best.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 21:15   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post

On FE, I have been meticulously calculating my figures and over the last 10k km, I'm convinced that the FE on the display is more or less real time. While driving in bumper to bumper traffic, you'll have to keep the AC on econ mode to conserve fuel. On the other hand, switching off the econ on highway runs, gives great mileage. On city rides, with econ, I get around 12.6 kmpl and on highways almost the same. This is is with 7 adults on board. On highway trips, with the econ off, the mileage is 15.4 kmpl (!!). Confirmed this via tank fill method as well. So the econ is actually city econ.
Wow, that is a fairly good mileage. For the last few months my DIS keeps showing 9 kmpl. Not sure if its because I had been reseting at each refill of 500-1000Rs. Had informed the RM the last time the car went for the running repairs that my mileage is pretty low, and he said the filters had been cleaned and the mileage would improve. So far no change. Also I have started noticing a very stingy smell from the exhaust. The stingy smell is pretty strong all the while the car is running . I know this are the exhaust gases, but then never experienced such stingy smelling exhaust gases with my previous diesel hyundai accent or my in-laws innova. Not sure if this has to do anything with the mileage in terms of fuel not burning properly or something.

Can anyone provide me some technical gyan on this....

FundaG
Old 17th May 2013, 22:22   #1739
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Wow, that is a fairly good mileage. For the last few months my DIS keeps showing 9 kmpl.

.... Not sure if this has to do anything with the mileage in terms of fuel not burning properly or something.
Please measure FE by tankful method. The DIS has lower limit as 9kmpl. So your actual FE might even be lesser than that!

Next time you are at the service center complain again about the low FE even after cleaning the filters. They would plug the computer in and check all engine parameters like compression ratio to check if the engine is performing as expected.

If the engine is performing correctly, lower tyre-pressure, jammed breaks or traffic conditions might be the reason. I am assuming that the car does not remain parked for long time with AC-on while somebody is waiting in the car.
Old 18th May 2013, 07:20   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Last night, while coming out of a fairly steep lower basement parking area, I did stopped in the middle ( while a friend of mine looking for other vehicles to indicate me) to check out the Hill Hold feature. I came to standstill position, engage 1st gear, release the clutch and loosen the foot grip on brakes. But the car rolled back instantly without that 1-2 sec hold. Tried many times only to end up with same result. Anything that I have to enable to make it work?

Also how does Mahindra fix the left side pulling issues? Is it just by wheel allignment? If yes, can it be done from outside vendor? ( March 2013 manufactured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post

Before the trip I had done alignment at Madhus in Bangalore, which is known to be one among the best places available

For the HU issue you may ask for a replacement. Generally they agree since there is no other go as you an demonstrate the issue very easily.

Does the alignment solved your left pulling problem? On HU, iam planning to fit a micro USB and check it out on my upcoming long trip before I take it up to Service centre

Last edited by Surprise : 18th May 2013 at 07:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks