Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:00   #4471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
No not at all. In slow traffic I am always in 1st gear. That's why I am wondering after taking so much care is it still a clutch issue.

I believe oil levels are taken care at 40K service which was done few weeks back.
Please check - most likely just topped up. See what a drain and refill does.

DOT4 brake / clutch fluid
API GL4 80w90 gear lube

Get shell spirax for the gear lube and anything decent for the brake fluid (tvs girling for example, or zic, amsoil type synthetics if your budget fits)
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:22   #4472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2014 XUV just completed 40k km. Most of this is highway drive. Only 20% of 40k is driven in bumper to bumper traffic. Recently clutch has become hard.
The issue is the thrust bearing / actuator.
Current day clutches do not wear easily, if you see thickness of new one, and one in a lakh km done car, the wear is just about 50%.
What happens is part of the debris from wear stick to the top shaft on which the bearing slides and cakes up, this makes the clutch hard to press.
I have followed the practice of getting clutch housing opened up, cleaning it from inside, and re assembling with a new actuator bearing, and have found that OE clutch lasts way over 1.5 Lakh km. In fact one Innova was sold with 1,92 lakh km with OE clutch.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 17:40   #4473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The issue is the thrust bearing / actuator.
Current day clutches do not wear easily, if you see thickness of new one, and one in a lakh km done car, the wear is just about 50%.
This is possible but at hardly 40k km? My Scorpio clutch on this one is the OE clutch at 42k and on my previous stolen one was the OE clutch at 54k (and all that needed was a spray of wd40 to stop the spring in the clutch pedal from creaking occasionally). No sign of the clutch sticking or anything else.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:44   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Please check - most likely just topped up. See what a drain and refill does.

DOT4 brake / clutch fluid
API GL4 80w90 gear lube

Get shell spirax for the gear lube and anything decent for the brake fluid (tvs girling for example, or zic, amsoil type synthetics if your budget fits)
Thanks, I will get this done. I guess Shell guys can do this job -draining and refilling, right ? Or is it better that I go to a Mahindra service centre ?
Old 3rd August 2019, 16:10   #4475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I will get this done. I guess Shell guys can do this job -draining and refilling, right ? Or is it better that I go to a Mahindra service centre ?
First call your SA and ask him if they replaced the brake and gear fluids or just topped them up. Any neighbourhood garage can do the job for you once you buy the shell fluids from a reputed oil and lubes store.
Old 16th August 2019, 12:20   #4476
BHPian

Has anyone found solution to dancing suspension of xuv?
Old 16th August 2019, 12:33   #4477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Has anyone found solution to dancing suspension of xuv?
I am in line to know that.

The car makes a shake of of your internal organs on bad surface. I feel a relatively pronounced effect of the same as my other car is a Terrano, which makes a mockery of such surfaces.
Old 17th August 2019, 22:39   #4478

Dear All,
I have a 2016 model XUV and am facing a persistent problem with the brakes. There is a whistling noise when I apply the brakes slowly. This has been a recurring issue ever since I bought the vehicle and the service centre used to fix it by cleaning the pads. Of late, the frequency of this problem has increased and in the last 4 months I have had to visit them 6 times. The pads have been replaced too 3 months back but unfortunately this has become a sticky problem now. Last Saturday I got my vehicle serviced and the technician cleaned the pads well but the noise has resurfaced, this time, just 2 days after the servicing happened. Needless to say, I am really very frustrated now. I have escalated this issue to Mahindra management as well as Koncept motors (my service centre in Noida) and inspite of senior people being involved both from Mahindra as well as Koncept, no one has any idea about how to fix the problem. I used to own a Scorpio prior to this and I never faced this problem with it. Any ideas anyone?
Old 19th August 2019, 12:26   #4479

Hi

I have a 2016 W8. Couple of months back i faced a weird issue. My check engine light was coming on and off. I was told at the service station that since I was carrying both keys (one had low battery warning and i was taking that out for battery replacement) the alert came up and they cleared it.

This time while driving to goa from bangalore , I accidentally carried both my keys and the check engine light came on again. At SS i was told there was an engine immobilier alert that it wasn't receiving signals from the key and they cleared it once again. When I told them i carried both keys from bangalore and didn't face any issues on my drive to goa. Plus both keys had new cells and one was always out in the cup holder then how come low signal alertness have triggered. I didn't get satisfactory answer. But again while driving back from Goa didn't fave any issues. Wanted to check is it possible that carrying both keys could trigger check engine light?

Another problem i faced this time was frequent disconnection of android auto with my pixel 2xl during drive. I use an amazon basics usb to type c cable for connection. Any possible fix for that?

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:57   #4480

Hi TBHPians,

We bought a new XUV 500 (W7) in May. The car has run just close to 5000 km till now, and the 5000km service is round the corner. Almost all was well till yesterday. While coming back from a function, we were slowed down by heavy traffic. After moving in the bumper to bumper condition for about a kilometre, a burning smell started to come from under the bonnet. It was undoubtedly from the clutch. We had to ignore it and move forward. After another hundred metres, smoke started to come from under the bonnet. It was not too prominent, but nevertheless was visible. We stopped the car by the roadside and waited for the traffic to ease. Later we took the vehicle to the authorised service centre (By then the smell and smoke went away). As expected, they said they cannot say for sure if it's a problem with the clutch, unless they removed it and had a look, which will take some time. We were okay with waiting. But the catch was that they told us that if it was indeed the problem of the clutch, we will have to pay for the entire replacement. They said that clutch is not covered under warranty. We are in a fix now. It's a new car, just months old and with barely 5000 kms done. Can it really be a problem with the clutch? If it is and we don't get the clutch changed, how can we take the car out with complete peace of mind? If instead we get the clutch changed, how much will we have to pay? Why even for a new car clutch is not covered under warranty? So many questions are going through my mind now. I hope you can help me find answers.

Apart from this problem, I have noticed another one during this period. From the very first week of ownership, after almost all drives, black dust has been constantly coming up on the front alloy wheels, thereby blackening them. Whenever I see it, I wash it away. I thought it was a normal thing. I casually mentioned it to the service advisor during the first service, and he also said it was normal. But now after this incident, I doubt if the two has any relation. What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Snowman
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:18   #4481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Hi TBHPians,
We bought a new XUV 500 (W7) in May. The car has run just close to 5000 km till now, and the 5000km service is round the corner.
Were all these 5000 kms driven in city bumper to bumper traffic? Folks have had mixed experiences with clutch life. I had to replace mine at 36K kms, and I know XUV owners who have replaced theirs at 80k+ kms.

Quote:
after almost all drives, black dust has been constantly coming up on the front alloy wheels, thereby blackening them.
This is brake dust and is normal.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:55   #4482
BHPian

I had a manual XUV four years back and the clutch stopped working after 36000 kms, it just died. It as replaced under warranty. Just pursue with your service advisor and he will do it.

Quote:
Hi TBHPians,

We bought a new XUV 500 (W7) in May. The car has run just close to 5000 km till now, and the 5000km service is round the corner. Almost all was well till yesterday. While coming back from a function, we were slowed down by heavy traffic. After moving in the bumper to bumper condition for about a kilometre, a burning smell started to come from under the bonnet. It was undoubtedly from the clutch. We had to ignore it and move forward. After another hundred metres, smoke started to come from under the bonnet. It was not too prominent, but nevertheless was visible. We stopped the car by the roadside and waited for the traffic to ease. Later we took the vehicle to the authorised service centre (By then the smell and smoke went away). As expected, they said they cannot say for sure if it's a problem with the clutch, unless they removed it and had a look, which will take some time. We were okay with waiting. But the catch was that they told us that if it was indeed the problem of the clutch, we will have to pay for the entire replacement. They said that clutch is not covered under warranty. We are in a fix now. It's a new car, just months old and with barely 5000 kms done. Can it really be a problem with the clutch? If it is and we don't get the clutch changed, how can we take the car out with complete peace of mind? If instead we get the clutch changed, how much will we have to pay? Why even for a new car clutch is not covered under warranty? So many questions are going through my mind now. I hope you can help me find answers.

Apart from this problem, I have noticed another one during this period. From the very first week of ownership, after almost all drives, black dust has been constantly coming up on the front alloy wheels, thereby blackening them. Whenever I see it, I wash it away. I thought it was a normal thing. I casually mentioned it to the service advisor during the first service, and he also said it was normal. But now after this incident, I doubt if the two has any relation. What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Snowman
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 21:05   #4483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you think?
In my opinion this has something to do with your driving style. Were you driving a petrol car before this? Also I assume you drive more on half clutch.

Especially in traffic the more you drive in half clutch, it starts to heat up and you get this burning smell. You will have to just stop for sometime till it cools down and you should be good to resume. But please keep in mind the clutch wont last long with this style of driving, you will have to change the style of driving.

And on the brake dust it is common in all cars and just make sure the brake pads are cleaned regularly.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:49   #4484

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Were all these 5000 kms driven in city bumper to bumper traffic?
No. City drives are frequent. But bumper to bumper traffic is not a common occurrence in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I had a manual XUV four years back and the clutch stopped working after 36000 kms, it just died. It as replaced under warranty. Just pursue with your service advisor and he will do it.
I will certainly try to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
In my opinion this has something to do with your driving style. Were you driving a petrol car before this? Also I assume you drive more on half clutch.
In fact all our previous cars were diesel powered ones. We never had such a problem with the clutch in any of them. The earliest we had to change the clutch was somewhere near the 30000km mark.
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:04   #4485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact all our previous cars were diesel powered ones. We never had such a problem with the clutch in any of them. The earliest we had to change the clutch was somewhere near the 30000km mark.
That is still way too early. Please don't ride the clutch in any car at all, use the gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks