Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2007, 19:28   #61
BHPian

Blind Spots

I was going through one of the threads and saw this inclination among some members about keeping the Left Side OVRM closed. Now we all know that is not a safe habit.

1. It increases blind spots.

2. An OVRM somehow prevents two wheelers from coming too close to your car body. A sudden thud at the car body is more painful than a thud at the OVRMS (the cost difference in getting a scratch repaired/repainted is huge in comparison to replacing an OVRM mirror)

I recently received an article on adjusting the car mirrors to reduce Blind Spots, though the article is based on a LHD vehicle, but the concept can more or less be applied to a RHD as well. I understand that most of you will already know this stuff but still it may be useful to someone...

Before you drive away - After entering your vehicle, the very next thing on your agenda should be adjusting your seat and steering wheel, fastening your safety belt, and adjusting all three of your rearview mirrors.
  • Interior rearview mirror - The positioning for the inside rearview mirror is fairly obvious, you should be able to see out of the rear window from the driver's seat. Be sure the day/night switch found on most rearview mirrors is in the day position during daytime operation. The night setting reduces the headlight glare from cars behind you and helps you see better.
  • Exterior rearview mirrors - As for the side view mirror or mirrors, most people adjust them so they can see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. If you adjust your mirrors using this criteria, you have created huge blind spots! Consider the view when the side view mirrors are set up as just described. Essentially, you have created "tunnel vision" to the rear. Your side view mirrors overlap much of what your inside rearview mirrors sees and you've also created blind spots. Adjust the side view mirrors just beyond the point where you could see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. With this setup, you almost completely solve the blind spot problem. It takes a little while to get used to, but it is an improvement.
  • For the driver's side mirror: Place the side of your head against the window, then adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view.
  • For the passenger's side mirror: While sitting in the driver's seat, lean to the right(left in case of RHD) so that your head is in the car's centerline. Adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view.
Using your mirrors on the road - Most drivers rely on their rear view mirrors for two things, backing up, and changing lanes on the highway. Not checking your blind spots - those areas just outside the field of vision - can have disastrous effects when merging onto the highway or changing lanes. One of the ways you can protect yourself is to make sure your vehicle's side and rearview mirrors are positioned for maximum road view. If all three of your mirrors are aligned correctly you should be able to see a vehicle leaving your rearview mirror seamlessly transfer to one of your side view mirrors without any delay. Vehicles present that are not visible in your mirrors are the ones you need to worry about. Drivers with good peripheral vision will see them when they check their side view mirrors. However if you rely solely on your interior rearview mirror, you're asking for trouble. Thousands of accidents occur each year because people changing lanes fail to see a vehicle that is right next to them. Diligent use of all three of your rearview mirrors should prevent you from getting in another driver's way or cutting them off. A good guideline for deciding when to move into the passing lane or back into the traveling lane is to make sure that you can see the headlights of the vehicle you're passing in the rearview mirror. "

Source: Smart Motorist - Safe Driving, Road Rage, Driver Education, Cell Phones, Road Safety, Driving Hazards, Car Seats, Rollovers, Distracted Drivers, Driving Tips, SUVs, Women Drivers, Accident Avoidance
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2007, 20:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quite true!!
Once you get into the habit of using the ORVMs, it increases the strain to drive a car without either ORVMs.. As always,its a good habit to look around the car at all times. Just a glance,especially while changing lanes.
Old 12th July 2007, 21:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Its such strange that the effectiveness of the left rvm is being discussed, I cant drive without one, and My Dad who had been driving without using any door mirrors , now, cannot drive without one, once he has gotten accustomed. I additionally have the small blind spotters and using the mirrors have become such a habit that I dont feel that I am explicitly using them. So its not a pain as some people may suggest.

A bit off-topic but the Door Mirrors on the Ikon is really a dream, it goes this way that way and is very flexible. My RVM's get troubled by pedestrians most. Infact sometimes, when I have come out of our locality on to the main road, I am surprised to see someone has done the honors of closing the left RVM! Few Times I have seen a few Smart Alecs try and close the RVM's on my car to sneak past it (obviously when my car is stationary) and then end up touching my car. (although such feeble touches never damage) but one guy once had decided to just scrape past no matter what (fortunately the owner later turned out to be an acquaintance and one narration of the incident and the Alec was out of his job, catching another)
Old 12th July 2007, 21:48   #64
BHPian

I just read the first post on this thread and was that someone could even think that Left ORVM is for the passenger!
Old 12th July 2007, 21:58   #65
rks
BANNED

My right rear-view mirror is rattling badly. Tomorrow I plan to replace it and also fit a left RVM, for the first time in my life. My main purpose is to make use of the LRVM during high-speed lane changes on my highway drives, especially on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. The LRVM will also come in handy for city use while reversing, especially for parking purposes. But the problem will be to protect the LRVM in bumper-to-bumper traffic, during tight overtakes and from two-wheelers/cyclists. Initially I plan to use LRVM only during my highway runs. After getting used to it, I will venture into city use.

Last edited by rks : 12th July 2007 at 22:00.
Old 12th July 2007, 22:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

My left ORVM is folded in the city. There is no way you can adjust the damn thing correctly. Even if you do, somebody sitting in the passenger seat is likely to fiddle with it & i have to keep adjusting it again. There is no electrical adjustment in my esteem, just the handle inside the car & it is a pain to do this.
Old 12th July 2007, 22:55   #67
BHPian

E_L, I too had that problem in the Esteem all of us used to use. Was boring to keep adjusting after each's preference. In the Ikon, only I drive. so its basically in the same position. Btw, in the mercs, along with the seat memory settings, does it have mirror position memory setting too?

A
Old 12th July 2007, 22:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Electrically operated ORVMs are a blessing. Does the Ikon have that ?
Old 12th July 2007, 22:59   #69
BHPian

Sadly no! But I do wonder if its available in the aftermarket and that too, in a bigger size than that of Ikon, like fiesta's? Ikon's mirrors are too small.

A
Old 13th July 2007, 02:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Sadly no! But I do wonder if its available in the aftermarket and that too, in a bigger size than that of Ikon, like fiesta's? Ikon's mirrors are too small.

A
Just stick on blind spotters on the mirror insides. The Ikon mirrors are less prone to breaking.
Old 13th July 2007, 02:15   #71
BHPian

[quote=Absar;498411Btw, in the mercs, along with the seat memory settings, does it have mirror position memory setting too?

A[/quote]

Yes, the memory button saves Seat, Wheel and ORVM positions.
Old 13th July 2007, 03:49   #72
BHPian

How to avoid Blind Spots?

Guys use this technique to avoid the dreaded blind spot.

How To Adjust Your Mirrors - Motorists.org - Other Motorist Issues

Though its for LHD, it can be easily mapped to RHD.
Old 13th July 2007, 08:13   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Electrically operated ORVMs are a blessing. Does the Ikon have that ?
New WagonR and Zen estilo have E- ORVMs
Old 13th July 2007, 09:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Just stick on blind spotters on the mirror insides.
What is that? Please give details for everybody's benefit.

BTW, this one also seems to be a nice thingy, are such mirrors available in local market? :
Sonus SideVUE Blind Spot Mirror

Quote:
The Ikon mirrors are less prone to breaking.
I used to think that they are the most prone, because maximum number of cars I have seen with broken mirrors happened to be Ikons. (mostly detached mirrors hanging with support of wires!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
New WagonR and Zen estilo have E- ORVMs
I believe E-ORVMs are looked upon more as premium features (as of now), but I wish it was treated like basic safety feature like seat-belts. Baleno guys are blessed, too. Also, manufacturers/dealers should spare mirrors while ripping off customers for repair/replacement. However, it is sad that they are pretty costly and so many people fold them all the time in order to protect them (I mean mirrors!)... really unfortunate.
Old 13th July 2007, 11:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you on the adjustment part. This is a pain in Scorpio too irrespective of whether it is a top end or a basic model..

I really want to know from the manufacturers of vehicles that are the components of electrically operated RVMs so bloody expensive, that they can't give that as OEM or a standard fitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
My left ORVM is folded in the city. There is no way you can adjust the damn thing correctly. Even if you do, somebody sitting in the passenger seat is likely to fiddle with it & i have to keep adjusting it again. There is no electrical adjustment in my esteem, just the handle inside the car & it is a pain to do this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks