Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2006, 15:32   #1
BANNED

Real use of Left Side Rear View Mirror !!

Nowadays, most of the cars comes fitted with LHS rear view mirror. I'm having some simple doubts related with the Left Side Rear View mirror.

Is the Left Side Rear View mirror placed for the sole purpose that the occupant on the left side to have a rear view ?

OR is it for the driver (on the right side) to have a left side rear view when reversing the vehicle if the mirror is aligned in tune with the driver ?

Some local people are of the opinion that it's a waste of money. But in abroad the mirrors are compulsory on both the sides.

Old 9th March 2006, 15:42   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Is the Left Side Rear View mirror placed for the sole purpose that the occupant on the left side to have a rear view ?

OR is it for the driver (on the right side) to have a left side rear view when reversing the vehicle if the mirror is aligned in tune with the driver ?
No, Pal.. the LHS RV mirror is meant for the driver of the vehicle. Again, it's handy while reversing but the main use is to make some of the blind spots visible without haviig to turn your head around to see if there are any vehicles trying to overtake you from the left.

You need this in India more than anywhere else because we have two wheelers which overtake us on the wrong side all the time. Since most of the cars today are designed with aerodynamic properties making visibility very poor, the RV mirror becomes a must.

If you drive an Indica or a Palio, you will know what I mean... no offence meant to Indica and Palio drivers... I have great respect for both these cars for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Some local people are of the opinion that it's a waste of money. But in abroad the mirrors are compulsory on both the sides.

I cannot disagree more.... you need it here more than anywhere else. Its a pain having these mirrors scratched when you stand at the traffic signals etc, but the benefits are far better.
Old 9th March 2006, 15:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its really necessary.

But, i don't have one in my car.
Old 9th March 2006, 15:49   #4
BHPian

It is an irony that in most Indian cities, most of the time people have to drive with side mirrors folded - so that it doesn't get scratched/broken by passing autos/2-wheelers!

The Left RVM is mainly used for parking (to judge distance from kerb) and also to see vehicles on left side for multi-lane highway.

And especially to spot vehicles overtaking from left.

It is definitely not for using by co-passengers! For using lipstick, they should use the mirror provided in sun-visor.
Old 9th March 2006, 15:50   #5
BHPian

Completely agree with quicksilver.
But in india the problem with these mirrors is that they either get ripped of by a vehicle ar someone intentionally removes them.
But i still use them (what is INSURANCE) for. I have already replaced the side view mirrors on my Innova 3 times

Last edited by tsreekaranrao : 9th March 2006 at 15:52.
Old 9th March 2006, 15:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

well, each time you change your direction from a straight line to another line (lane changes, swerves etc) you MUST look behind in both directions. Apart from that, its a good idea to have a 360 map of objects around your car at any point in time, so a quick glance at all 3 RVMS is a very good driving habit (in fact licences should be given after a check on this).
I feel very nervous driving cars without both ORVMs, and am surprised how people keep both folded in!
Old 9th March 2006, 16:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

its very much useful in reversing ...also keeping the mirrors open helps to judge the distance from other vehicles when inside the city ...bike or car ...i cannot drive withoutthe LHS SVM....

heavy vehicle drivers always rely on the LHS SVM for overtaking and parking
Old 9th March 2006, 16:09   #8
BHPian

i wouldnt agree less with other in need for lhs RVM becoz it is easier when you drive on a highway, have a better view of who is on the left, while parking and specially while changing lanes.
i drive a m800 and it does not have lhs RVM as a standard fitment so i got one fixed. it is really helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak

It is definitely not for using by co-passengers! For using lipstick, they should use the mirror provided in sun-visor.
but then what about drivers like me who need to apply lipstick, i think manufacturers should have one on the rhs sun visor too. i think when it comes to designing cars, only a man's need is taken into consideration. agreed that there are less # of women drivers, but still women will always be women and they will need to touch up their make up before stepping out of the vehicle.

Shubbhi
Old 9th March 2006, 16:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mostly use it while reversing and while shifting lanes. It also comes handy to check out any cute chick behind
Old 9th March 2006, 16:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is not for the passenger, but for the driver.
The idea of a rear view mirror on both sides apart from the one inside the car is to give the driver an all-round view (including while reversing). This is all the more important in India where scant respect is given to rules like "Overtaking from the left is not right".
But then, most people who have mirrors on both sides do not use the left one or both due to the fear of it getting hit by the densely packed traffic in our cities. All it takes is a cyclist to damage the mirror and the related mechanism (in case it is electrically operated), which could set you back by a few thousand rupees to fix. My car has both, but due to the above mentioned reason, I am forced to keep them folded while driving in the City. On the highway, both of them are used.
Old 9th March 2006, 16:33   #11
BHPian

All the three mirrors are a must!If i have a broken one,i get it fixed immediately,cant drive without them.

I really respect people who use them all the time.All the good drivers here,would know how important they are in a country like ours & otherwise also.

Hate the autowallahs!wish i could abuse here!they never use them & consider their dexterity to be better than schumi's.
Old 9th March 2006, 17:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Many Uses For Lrvmirror

As many pointed out LRVM is a must for all the reasons mentioned. Some more that come to my mind are:

1. Use it to scrape guys (2 wheelers and some 4 wheelers) who try to crowd you thro the left side. Yes....... you may damage your mirror.... whats's insurance for?

2. Get that much more space while parking in the office lot. Sometimes guys park too close for comfort, with the LRVM out they give a couple of inches extra for you to ease out.

3. My children love to stick all sundry stickekrs on the back side of the mirror, every week they change. I shudder to think of allowing them to put it on any other painted surface !!!!!!!!!!

4. While talking with friends if we are standing near the car...... something to fiddle with ....... in-out, in-out, in-out...... the RVmirror is handy.

5. I use it drive out of the parking lot where cars are stacked very very close, meanuovering out without the LRVM is unthinkable; even if the parking lot guy is whistling away directions!!!!

6. Have very tight pillars on the basement car park, to go thro without scrapping the L back side LRVM is a god sent.

I am sure there are more such uses..........

-- Ramky.
===================
Old 9th March 2006, 17:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

For all those afraid of two-wheelers nudging your mirrors, just stick some chewing gum on them. If he nudges you then, he's not going to be too happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
For using lipstick, they should use the mirror provided in sun-visor.
Aren't you being just a wee bit presumptuous?

Last edited by v1p3r : 9th March 2006 at 17:23.
Old 9th March 2006, 17:56   #14
BHPian

Use them a lot for turning, changing lanes, reversing and just to keep an eye on the left side. Feel incomplete driving a car without one.

Yes 2 wheelers have hit them quite a no. of times but aint broken them, thank god for that.
Old 9th March 2006, 18:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

a little off-topic guys,
v1p3r, there is only one word for your signature - awesome.

Reminds me of a joke on similar lines, but sadly not appropriate for this forum.

Most Viewed