Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 19:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I never used the headlight leveling switch. It's best set at 0.
It's actually a very useful feature; especially when you're on high beam.

Unfortunately, the clowns who think they should drive only using the high beam don't know it! It cuts out the glare quite a bit.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 20:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It's actually a very useful feature; especially when you're on high beam..
Its actually more useful on low beam when the car is fully loaded. The rear squat makes the front end face upwards causing headlight glare to oncoming traffic even on low beam. The leveler allows the driver to focus the headlight on the road rather than oncoming traffic.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 21:00   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its actually more useful on low beam when the car is fully loaded. The rear squat makes the front end face upwards causing headlight glare to oncoming traffic even on low beam. The leveler allows the driver to focus the headlight on the road rather than oncoming traffic.
+1 Headlamp leveller is not some fancy equipment, it's a safety device. AFAIK in Europe it is mandatory to have auto levelling and washer with Xenon lamps. In some cars like Laura it only works for low beam.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 21:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

The issue with headlight level switch is that most people don't know how to use it i.e. wrt to car load.

Improper use blinds the opposite traffic.

That is why I called it as unnecessary.
Old 25th November 2011, 21:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The issue with headlight level switch is that most people don't know how to use it i.e. wrt to car load.

Improper use blinds the opposite traffic.

That is why I called it as unnecessary.
At 0 level it is at normal level i.e where it should have been if there was no levelling switch. At levels like 1,2 and 3 the light is dipped, meaning if the factory adjustments are not changed there is no way one can blind the oncoming traffic in low beam(obviously except when the rear springs are compressed).

Sorry to drag the topic offtopic.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 21:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

One totally unnecessary OEM that I can see is the RFT tires of BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My Linea has the following OE thingy, which have been never used till today even after 2 years of ownership.

* cigarette-lighter
Although the lighter is useless for non-smokers like you (I guess) and me, the 12V socket is immensely useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The only useless extra in my Punto Emotion was the music system...
Apart from that, my Punto EP has this foldable Keyfob. Only one is supplied, made in Italy. The cost of replacement is approx 1% of the car's ex-showroom price, I am told. 6500+ rupees.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 25th November 2011 at 21:58.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 22:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would love to be given optional fitments by the company for 'my' car.

Wouldn't it be nice if a base version with the bare minimum necessities is available for your dream car, and to which we have a plethora of options that the company will fit for you personally after receiving the order? The concept of a factory made personalized car do not seem to be that distant, is it? Is this not a good idea?
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 22:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Many times I felt that companies are trying to "fool" people by providing unwanted equipments.
Believe me Subscrive I was just about to start a thread on this very topic, you beat me by say few hours. What I would have mentioned in my thread as "why can't automobiles companies give us option at the time of booking to choose each and every option including color with costs involved. Same way like DTH services. I know that these options are provided by ultra luxury car makers to their customers and so many meetings are done before actual manufacturing takes place.
Why I am suggesting this as now the booking period can be anywhere between than 3 to 9 months, so companies can very well plan in advance about the same. This may also open an extra revenue channel for them.
Alternatively, I was also wondering what approach should be taken regarding choosing the features to be installed in low end models as post-purchase installation comes with their set of disadvantages, (rattling, warranty issues, improper fixing, exorbitant costs, etc.).

The following are the features which are NOT necessary for me:
1. Cigarette Lighter (12v socket is ok as can be used for mobile charging)
2. Auto Headlamp and Wipers
3. Factory fitted ICE
4. Leather Seats
5. LCD screens
6. Sat Nav etc.
7. Start Stop Button
8. Sun/Moon Roof
9. Voice Assist
Must Have Accessories IMO :
1. ABS and Airbags (I really admire Honda for this)
2. Rear Wash and Wiper and defogger
3. Fog Lights (Front as well as Rear)
4. Reading Light at the back seat.
Old 25th November 2011, 23:01   #24
Team-BHP Support

Good thread topic

I have not driven a lot of high end cars, so can't really comment on the tech features but some that I have found useless in my cars:

- Seat Belt Warning: So used to buckling up as soon as I sit on the drivers seat that I can easily live without a reminder. However, an alarm for an unbuckled co-passenger would be great.

- Alloys: Yeah, I find them useless. Give me some other feature (ABS maybe) instead.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 23:09   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
60:40 splitting rear seat
GTO, having 5 backpacks in the boot, with 5 members in a 5 seater car ASK for 60:40 splitting rear seats.. on long journeys. Well, one or the other ask for things from the boot, which can be accessed from the cabin. Well.. this is of course when one can access the boot from the cabin having 60:40 splitting rear seats.
Quote:
Auto headlamp & wipers
+1. Apart from the feel good factor, they aid nothing.
Quote:
tachometer is an extremely important tool to
+ 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Alloys: Yeah, I find them useless. Give me some other feature (ABS maybe) instead.
+1.

But then, as Suhaas said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I guess one man's garbage, is another's gold

Last edited by dhanushs : 25th November 2011 at 23:13.
Old 25th November 2011, 23:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

I find the floor mats to be completely useless. The OEM ones are so thin on my figo, they would be threadbare in a week. And almost everyone I know had rubber or plastic ones. Another useless feature is a spare tire in regular cars. In an off roader, it is a must, but seriously, Other than a catashrophic blowout, most tubeless tires can be driven for 1-2 weeks with a nail in it.
Old 25th November 2011, 23:50   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
- Alloys: Yeah, I find them useless. Give me some other feature (ABS maybe) instead.
ABS, is a feature one would rather have, if I had to pick one between the two.

However, I wouldn't say Alloys are useless. Apart from adding 'aesthetic appeal', it reduces unsprung-weight. Most modern tubeless tyres work best when wrapped around alloy-wheels, and not steel-wheels.
Old 26th November 2011, 00:32   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Alloys and sunroof has been mentioned. I would agree.

May I add "start/stop engine" button (Micra and few others) to this list?
How about turn-indicators on ORVMs? How about dollops of chrome in some cars (Etios anyone)?

PS: After seeing the discussion on the thread why not automatic, I was kind of expecting that someone would list "Automatic transmission" in this thread.

Last edited by SDP : 26th November 2011 at 00:33.
Old 26th November 2011, 04:50   #29
DRC
BHPian

Very interesting thread!
Tacho, auto wipers, headlight adjusters, reverse parking assist, etc.. on the unwanted accessory list!? I am surprised.

Well, may not be so surprised after all, In Bangalore, some people feel rear view mirrors as unnecessary equipment. They fold them off and drive happily

Since I am a gizmo geek, I do enjoy bells and whistles like auto wipers headlights, reverse cameras anything that sounds fancy.
For me Split seats, ash trays are the ones which do not mean much. But I remember, once body colored mirrors and door handles used to differentiate variants.
Old 26th November 2011, 05:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
GTO, having 5 backpacks in the boot, with 5 members in a 5 seater car ASK for 60:40 splitting rear seats.. on long journeys. Well, one or the other ask for things from the boot, which can be accessed from the cabin.
With 5 people in the car, all the seats are used, and with the car running, there is no way you can access the boot without stopping the car. So the 60:40 split seat will not help in any way, in this situation.

But yes, 60:40 can help if you have 2-3 passengers, and some long items that cannot fit into the boot. How often do you have this ?

A better option than that is a fully foldable rear seat for cars also, allowing you to marginally increase the boot space so that you can carry some extra stuff sometimes.

Again, How often do you have this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I find the floor mats to be completely useless. The OEM ones are so thin on my figo, they would be threadbare in a week.
So that is a problem with the quality of the mats supplied by the dealer. The rubber mats that came with my car are going good even after more than 5 years.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks