Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 05:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Well, the gripe that i have is with Hyundai vehicle's offering on the sportz trim. airbags are available but no ABS, come on i would rather choose ABS before airbags. What a major turn down.
Old 26th November 2011, 07:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

I find rear spoiler to be useless, usually it has a mounted lights which glow on braking but apart from that its only use is aesthetics. Not sure if there is any regulation in Europe regarding them. Earlier i used to assume they would help in some kind of air flow (like in F1 the rear wings increase downforce)

I find the area under the spoiler difficult to clean and polish and its always little more dirtier then the rest of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Rear spoiler is more an accessory than an OEM feature. Any car that you can think of (in India) that comes with spoiler as OEM ? (Exclude cars like Ikon iKool, because that was a promo series).
My car came factory fitted with Spoiler, was not fitted by the dealer or me.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 26th November 2011 at 07:44.
Old 26th November 2011, 07:39   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I find rear spoiler to be useless,
Rear spoiler is more an accessory than an OEM feature. Any car that you can think of (in India) that comes with spoiler as OEM ? (Exclude cars like Ikon iKool, because that was a promo series).
Old 26th November 2011, 07:54   #34
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Although the lighter is useless for non-smokers like you (I guess) and me, the 12V socket is immensely useful.
I meant cigarette-lighter = the glow-stub without 12 V socket. I too use the 12V socket extensively for my navigator, mobile charger and my laptop charger.

Old 26th November 2011, 08:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any car that you can think of (in India) that comes with spoiler as OEM ? (Exclude cars like Ikon iKool, because that was a promo series).
Coincidence or not, both the cars in our garage does have the spoiler, the Baleno and the Beat, though the Beat have an integrated one. I think the old Lancers too came with spoilers on some models.
Old 26th November 2011, 08:59   #36

I think as far as the Indian OEM's are concerned, whenever they add a particular feature to their product, they stress of the "value for money" factor. They try to show that "hey ! we give such features which are found on a premium car, but for a lesser price". The OEM's look up to the premium cars and choose the features that they feel could impress the customer. Although we must also acknowledge that we have also occasionally complained or wished for features in our cars after noting these on premium cars.

Here's a list of those things which i've less use:

(1) Sunroof (2) Automatic headlamps (3) Rain sensor wipers (4) ORVMs that fold in automatically when the car is locked (how much space can we actually save by folding it? 2cm???) (5) Engine start/stop button (come on we are not that lazy!) (6) Some storage spaces are so odd that the customer needs to figure out the things that could fit in there.
(7) I've even begun to feel that the CD drive has started to become obsolete, just give us a USB and bluetooth! (8) Voice assists, it rather slows down the process! (9) Climate control

The OEM can give these on optional basis also. It will induce flexibility, and hence entice the customer to make a call.
Old 26th November 2011, 09:00   #37
BHPian

Do not need rain/light sensors on wipers/headlights.
However, parking sensor is not that useless. Found it useful while parking especially in dark and tight parking spots.
Ash tray - a useless thing for me. Have never seen anyone use it ever in a car.
Old 26th November 2011, 09:44   #38
BHPian

HUs equipped with Bluetooth connectivity. Though it is good for passengers, the feature could be changed as enable the Bluetooth only when the car is stand still.
Old 26th November 2011, 09:59   #39
SDP
Team-BHP Support

How about angle-eyes, LED tail-lights etc?

Besides the aesthetics, do they really serve any other purpose?

Electronically foldable mirrors?
Old 26th November 2011, 11:11   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
How about angle-eyes, LED tail-lights etc?

Besides the aesthetics, do they really serve any other purpose?

Electronically foldable mirrors?
Eagle-eyes and LED DRL lights and LED tail-lights make sense in Europe, where the light fades fast during winters. It doesn't make sense having your lights on throughout the dim daytime, so LEDs warn you effectively, without blinding you!

Electrically fold-able mirrors: We don't have it on our Jazz, and it would have made life much better, if we did. We wouldn't have to get out of the car and close it, every time we want to park our car in our tight parking-spot at home. It's just a matter of convenience
Old 26th November 2011, 11:21   #41
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VRs comes with spoiler as OEM. I think even VXI baleno & lancer sports too had OEM spoiler.
Spoiler is use full part for stability at higher speeds.

Last edited by v&v : 26th November 2011 at 11:24.
Old 26th November 2011, 11:29   #42
BHPian

VCD player in the OEM HU of a car as under-equipped as Etios.
Old 26th November 2011, 11:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

I personally need the cigarette lighter, and a tachometer, but can do away with most of the electronics if it saves me serious money.

One problem with customizing the vehicle at the time of order, it that the factory will have to have the accessories/options sheet tagged to the vehicle during assembly. This is a standard practice abroad, though I have my doubts it will be successful here, both at the assembly line level, and at the Management Level. After all we all know that the 4x4 Scorpio is made to order, but they refuse to accommodate all the seating and colour options. So how do you think that they will juggle with say 10 options for every car. Imagine ordering a 4x4 Scorpio, with ABS, Airbags and without all the gizmos we do not need! When that day comes, then I would say that our manufacturing has come of age, till then they try to pander what they want to assemble.
Old 26th November 2011, 11:57   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Seat Belt Warning: So used to buckling up as soon as I sit on the drivers seat that I can easily live without a reminder.
But that's because you're an enthusiast and you know the importance of seat-belts. I have seen scores of people driving without seat-belts even when their car is equipped with an alarm. They wouldn't want to belt up and rather hear the alarm!

Quote:
However, an alarm for an unbuckled co-passenger would be great.
An i20 I recently drove had the co-driver seat-belt warning. Wouldn't it be irritating to the driver to see the warning, esp. when there's no one sitting in that seat?! The owner of the car I drove had put on the co-pilot seat-belt just to avoid seeing the warning.

Quote:
Give me some other feature (ABS maybe) instead.
Couldn't agree more; but so many Indians still have a thing for the "frills" but not for safety features.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th November 2011 at 11:59.
Old 26th November 2011, 12:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Spoiler is use full part for stability at higher speeds.
For a sports car, it is true, but I seriously doubt whether the spoilers present on passenger cars aid in stability at higher speeds. Isn't it just a butt enhancer rather than a stabilizer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks