Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 15:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

First 60 seconds is crucial,Jaibir.
I've noticed that diesels warm up pretty quick and its quicker in the summer.
Old 20th February 2008, 16:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
First 60 seconds is crucial,Jaibir.
I've noticed that diesels warm up pretty quick and its quicker in the summer.

YES, true diesels engines get warmer, quickly due to the high temperatures inside the cylinders when compared to petrol engines.
Old 20th February 2008, 20:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

it does matter summer or winter..unless one is talking sub 10 deg C.. also all modern cars warm up within the first minute..as the thermostat does not work then aiding in quick warm up.

Some manuals state that the engine is ready to rev once the temp gauge touches C [it is usually below C for the first 45 seconds or so to aid in lubrication]

A good practise is to NOT be a rev happy guy for the first couple of kms or so. Also check your brakes before opening up as the brake cylinders also need lubrication.
Old 20th February 2008, 20:25   #49
BHPian

My alto 1.1 on a early morning cold start(car parked in open) starts and idles at 2Krpm. then after ~40 seconds it falls to around 900rpm. i guess this is normal?
I assume that it is harmfull to switch on the AC while the car is at the higher idling rpm level?
Old 20th February 2008, 20:30   #50
BHPian

if i am not wrong, as soon as I start my car, the RPM meter usually moves almost immediately to the 1000+ mark and slowly comes down and settles down to the 800RPM mark in a few seconds or so(maybe 20 seconds).

and i think that solves the problem.
I mean that's what I felt so.
Old 21st February 2008, 01:09   #51
BHPian

i like to give my swift 3 mins at least especially around this time of the year. The swift appreciates that and yes i actually always pump my brakes gently at first to get some heat in them.
Ran into my girlfriends honda city rear end once due to a dog , her inexperience and my cold brakes. Minor hood dent er .
Old 21st February 2008, 08:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
I assume that it is harmfull to switch on the AC while the car is at the higher idling rpm level?
Its not harmful..but just being a little harsh / rough on the car..imagine cars are like humans too..

The automotive systems are designed to withstand much abuse, the more gentle we are with it, the better and longer they serve us [read as trouble free]
Old 21st February 2008, 08:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, my carb esteem revvs at 600rpm in cold start & as it warms up touches 900 rpm. Guess the driver would have to be the brain behind the carb engines.
Old 21st February 2008, 08:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
On the contrary, my carb esteem revvs at 600rpm in cold start & as it warms up touches 900 rpm. Guess the driver would have to be the brain behind the carb engines.
you are being unfair to the car..it needs signature too to keep you from working your brains
Old 21st February 2008, 08:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
you are being unfair to the car..it needs signature too to keep you from working your brains
he he he, unlike you, my car is a human being & gets the hangover, signature or not.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

2005 alto - it does rev up on a morning start.

another thing that i noticed - gear in neutral and clutch engaged and then start, the vehicle starts in the first crank.

previously (ie till 2months back) i never used to do this and the time required to start used to be a bit more, some times even requiring a second crank!

is this just me, or does this 'clutch engaged' Vs 'clutch not engaged' start have any value? does it do anything to the load placed on the engine while starting?
Old 21st February 2008, 20:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
2005 alto - it does rev up on a morning start.

another thing that i noticed - gear in neutral and clutch engaged and then start, the vehicle starts in the first crank.

previously (ie till 2months back) i never used to do this and the time required to start used to be a bit more, some times even requiring a second crank!

is this just me, or does this 'clutch engaged' Vs 'clutch not engaged' start have any value? does it do anything to the load placed on the engine while starting?
The clutch engaged reduces the load on the engine..even if the geartrain is in neutral and is a good practise..

I too read about it in some auto magazine and have been startin the car always with the clutch pressed.. really dont know the significance though..i admit.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
he he he, unlike you, my car is a human being & gets the hangover, signature or not.
LOL the car is just like its master..signature or not!
Old 22nd February 2008, 02:57   #59
BHPian

Irrespective- I Idle the engine up for 40 seconds to 1 min before converting to CNG Mode, Follow the same routine during shutdown.

With My lancer, Also the same procedure, AC switched on only after 2-3 min of running on Road.
Old 23rd February 2008, 23:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

At least in the petrol swift , the manual says always start your car with the clutch fully depressed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks