Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2011, 12:51   #1
BHPian

Defying Gravity in a Maruti : 800s roll in the "wall of death" (Circus)

Hello Guys i just found this video, i have heard about this before also hence searched extensively for the video.

I suppose traction control were offered in cars above 30 lacs, but this is hindustan with 2 lac maruti to do the same.

How is this possible?

don_carmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 12:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Defying Gravity in a Maruti : 800s roll in the "wall of death" (Circus)

Pretty simple physics. The vehicle is stuck to the "Well" due to centrifugal force - the same force which pushes you out in a fair merry go round. As long as it is moving above a certain speed (determined by the diameter of the well) it will not fall off. This the reason for banking the highways (super elevation), else cars will fly off at a curve.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 13:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Physics can allow you to do crazy things!

If some one remembers, Jeremy Clarkson attempted to do something similar in a RenaultSport Twingo in a sewage tunnel underneath Belfast.

Here's the link :
Old 10th December 2011, 13:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Don_Carmaster - LOL. You really thought traction control makes a car stick to a wall?

On a serious note, as ARoy said, its the centrifugal force that makes the car stick to the wall. I've seen this "Maut ka kuan" in action twice, with the same combo of unsilenced 2 stroke bikes and Maruti cars.

What is scarier is that the riders look out for audience people sticking out 10 rupee notes, and collect them as they go around - with no hands on the bike!
Old 10th December 2011, 13:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Love this ad of SLS AMG featuring Michael Schumacher. Beautifully made; have it on my mobile phone.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th December 2011 at 13:21.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 20:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Defying Gravity in a Maruti : 800s roll in the "wall of death" (Circus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Hello Guys i just found this video, i have heard about this before also hence searched extensively for the video.

I suppose traction control were offered in cars above 30 lacs, but this is hindustan with 2 lac maruti to do the same.

How is this possible?
Huh! You brought back old memories. I once watched this in one of the melas. I was very small then. It is really amazing how these guys do it. They call it "maran koop" here.

Last edited by Pancham : 10th December 2011 at 20:16.
Old 24th July 2012, 11:22   #7
BHPian

Traction control only balances the power delivery to various wheels depending on the traction(eg by applying selective braking to wheels losing traction,transferring power to rear or front wheels in all wheel drive etc).In the "Maut ki kuan" you just need a vehicle and rider combo who can maintain the right speed so that the centripetal force
makes it stick to the wall.Although this is simple physics definitely there are risks involved and the rider should be skilled so that he does not lose his sense of balance when he moves in circles,keep modulating the speed of the vehicle as he spirals up or spirals down etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post

How is this possible?

Wall of Death - YouTube
Old 24th July 2012, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

In general, this is the same principle that all celestial bodies(stars, planets, moons and man-made satellites) use to orbit. Centripetal force.

Definition: Centripetal force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Centripetal force (from Latin centrum "center" and petere "to seek") is a force that makes a body follow a curved path: it is always directed orthogonal to the velocity of the body, toward the fixed point of the instantaneous center of curvature of the path. Centripetal force is generally the cause of circular motion.
In simple terms, centripetal force is defined as a force which keeps a body moving with a uniform speed along a circular path and is directed along the radius towards the centre.
For a satellite in orbit around a planet, the centripetal force is supplied by gravity. Some sources, including Newton, refer to the entire force as a centripetal force, even for eccentric orbits, for which gravity is not aligned with the direction to the center of curvature.

Centrifugal Force: Centrifugal force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Centrifugal force (from Latin centrum, meaning "center", and fugere, meaning "to flee") is the apparent outward force that draws a rotating body away from the center of rotation. It is caused by the inertia of the body as the body's path is continually redirected. In Newtonian mechanics, the term centrifugal force is used to refer to one of two distinct concepts: an inertial force (also called a "fictitious" force) observed in a non-inertial reference frame, and a reaction force corresponding to a centripetal force.

I hope this clears your doubts. Moreover, Centrifugal force pulls the body away from the centre and centripetal keeps it in motion, as long as the body maintains a certain angular velocity.
Centrifugal force is more of a fictious one, i.e. it does not exist in reality. Used just for the sake of equations.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 11:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

But when the car is tilted at such a steep angle, wont all the fuel in the tank shift to one side causing the engine to stall?

Else the fuel must be filled to the brim before attempting this...
Old 24th July 2012, 12:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
But when the car is tilted at such a steep angle, wont all the fuel in the tank shift to one side causing the engine to stall?

Else the fuel must be filled to the brim before attempting this.
A very good point. I guess you yourself said the answer. Or, they have the fuel hose(outlet from the tank to engine) will be on the left corner of tank. (side to which the car is tilting during the bank).

Also, I don't think the throttle would be free,rather, they would have some mechanism to lock the throttle at one place(read: constant velocity). Usually, the military motorbike stuntsmen, use this technique to maintain their speed. If you see at one point of time, the biker and the person in the car are literally standing, where the biker has his hands up in the air and the car guy seems to be standing on the steering or may be the seat.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:39   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Also, I don't think the throttle would be free,rather, they would have some mechanism to lock the throttle at one place(read: constant velocity). Usually, the military motorbike stuntsmen, use this technique to maintain their speed.
I ve seen these cars and bikes come for repair at my friend's garage and like you said, their handlebars/steering wheels and accelerator pedals/twist grips are very tight and lockable at any level desired by the driver/rider. That is how they maintain constant speed and let their hands do other stunts. Also, these vehicles have an unsually high idling rpm set in.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 13:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow I found myself at one such circus recently. The bikes and cars have their silencers cut and the sound increases the effect on audience. They had young girls riding in the cars who then pop out of the window to hold hands with girls sitting in another car or with the bike riders.

THe whole thing is pretty dangerous. Not as much for the stuntmen themselves but for the audience. As somebody mentioned, people hold out currency notes which the drivers try to grab. With their hands off the steering/ bike handle they drive very close to the edge of the well where people are falling over each other to get a better view. Most of these cars are very old and god knows the condition of their mechanicals. If for some reason the suspension or steering column causes the car to veer off its track they can jump straight onto the public. Also pretty dangerous is the whole structure itself. THe stands and well are supported on steel rods, frames and wooden beams etc... THe one that I went to was shaking vigorously and structure seemed to be assembled in a very crude manner. To be honest the daredevils are not the stuntmen but the audience who has the courage to climb up this weak structure and watch the whole thing.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Else the fuel must be filled to the brim before attempting this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
A very good point. I guess you yourself said the answer. Or, they have the fuel hose(outlet from the tank to engine) will be on the left corner of tank. (side to which the car is tilting during the bank).
No, not really. Work out the forces acting on the vehicle (and all things in the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
They had young girls riding in the cars who then pop out of the window to hold hands with girls sitting in another car or with the bike riders.

THe whole thing is pretty dangerous. Not as much for the stuntmen
Even for the stuntmen. Not because the are at 'impossible' angles, but because of the EXTREMELY limited field of view of each driver.

Regards
Sutripta

PS: Note to mods. When such an old dead thread is being resurrected, can the system flash a warning to the poster reviving the thread.
Old 25th July 2012, 21:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
No, not really. Work out the forces acting on the vehicle (and all things in the vehicle.
Sir, can you kindly explain further. What forces are you talking about? Would be great for newbies like me to learn a thing or two.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Vector add the forces due to gravity, and centrifugal (yes, centrifugal) force. The surface of all liquids in the vehicle will be normal to this.

Experiment: Fill in coloured water to a depth of about 5 cms in a Coke bottle. Tie a string to the neck, and ask someone to twirl it around. Watch where the water settles. Esp its orientation wrt the bottle.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed