Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 14:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio MHawk-5th Gear Slips to Neutral

I used to boast,that it was been niggle free all this while
It seems a major one is here to haunt
It has done around 24.5K kms.
Recently took her on a 600kms round trip and she completed that without any fuss,and i parked her once i was back.
As i took her out in the evening and shifted to 5th,it slipped to neutral.
I ignored it,thinking,that i might not have slotted it properly.
Then again after a few kms,i shifted and it again slipped.
Now that made me worried,and as i rolled in to a toll booth,i heard a faint hissing sound from below.I pulled over,and it went away after like 2 minutes.

The gear slips if i upshift at 60-80km\hr,if i upshift at speeds in excess of 80,the gear doesnt slip,and to be on the safer side,i brought her back home in 4th gear.

I did some research regarding this,and found that m_upreti had to replace the gearbox due to this.
Guys any more info,if it can be due to any other reason?
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 15:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Scorpio MHawk-5th Gear Slips to Neutral

hi Akshay: It is most likey an issue with the gearbox, but check out the following just to rule out any other causes:

1) Make sure that when you are engaging 5th, you have pushed it all the way forward.

2) make sure that the gearbox boot is not holding the lever too tight when in 5th gear.
Old 11th December 2011, 15:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had faced the same issue with my getz and between the speeds of 60-80 the 5th gear used to slip back to neutral.I had shown it to many mechanics and finally the company guys gave me a bomb pricing to change the gearbox.

then came the savior our very own member on TBHP hvishwanathan and his guy named Sanju bhai who wisely solved that issue for me within a few hours and 2-3 test drives. He rectified a worn out ball-joint in the engine compartment and the Gear Box foundation was at the fault.he changed the ball-joint and re fixed the Foundation and Voila I was done

Its been nearly 3000kms since he have delivered the car and the gear seems as good as new,I heartly thanks him for helping me out .

Ramie
ramie2400 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 17:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
hi Akshay: It is most likey an issue with the gearbox, but check out the following just to rule out any other causes:

1) Make sure that when you are engaging 5th, you have pushed it all the way forward.

2) make sure that the gearbox boot is not holding the lever too tight when in 5th gear.
Tried and checked,it still slips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I had faced the same issue with my getz and between the speeds of 60-80 the 5th gear used to slip back to neutral.I had shown it to many mechanics and finally the company guys gave me a bomb pricing to change the gearbox.

then came the savior our very own member on TBHP hvishwanathan and his guy named Sanju bhai who wisely solved that issue for me within a few hours and 2-3 test drives. He rectified a worn out ball-joint in the engine compartment and the Gear Box foundation was at the fault.he changed the ball-joint and re fixed the Foundation and Voila I was done

Its been nearly 3000kms since he have delivered the car and the gear seems as good as new,I heartly thanks him for helping me out .

Ramie
From what i have read till now,it can be resolved by replacing gear synchro or some ball joint.
Since its in warranty,thankfully i wont have to worry regarding the cost
Old 11th December 2011, 18:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Tried and checked,it still slips.

From what i have read till now,it can be resolved by replacing gear synchro or some ball joint.
Since its in warranty,thankfully i wont have to worry regarding the cost
Ohh yes the Synchro was worn out so because of the engine vibration the Gear used to slip to neutral.I replaced it and also the Gear-box foundation was not properly installed when i had a clutch-plate change. Ramie
Old 12th December 2011, 10:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...i heard a faint hissing sound from below.
The gear slips if i upshift...
Guys any more info,if it can be due to any other reason?
Primarily it is likely to be a shifter linkage problem which isn't allowing the 5th gear synchroniser ring to engage completely (the hissing sound could be because of this). If you let the gear jump out frequently or drive around too long like this, you could damage the synchro ring and need to have the GB opened up. Have this attended to ASAP.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just got it checked,they first plan to adjust something in the gearbox before opening it up completely.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

slightly OT: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...+gtx+gear+slip

Possible reasons:
1. 5th Gear Synchronizer / Synchronizer for over-drive gears - it does not require opening the entire gear box.
2. gear cable linkage at Gear Box end - open the hood and check if anything is coming in way when the 5th gear is being engaged.
3. gear cable linkage at the gear lever end - check if the cable is fouling somewhere below the lever - usually there are two cales - one for slotting in gears and other for side-wise movement.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Setting it right didn't work out
So the outer casing of the gear box had to be opened, and this is what we found.
Sorry for the bad pic as i took it with phone in dark.

The tiny metal bit are parts of ball bearing that broke,thankfully I got it opened on time and further damage didn't happen.

PS:Reporting live from Aftersales.
Attached Images

Old 12th December 2011, 22:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post

Ramie
This will defenitely not be the case in Scorpio. As Getz is a monocoque and Scorpio body on ladder frame.

Check the following:
1. Lever mechanism.
2. synchro rings

Both will require considerable amount of time and labour. As GB needs to lowered. Its a savior that you have a warranty.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Setting it right didn't work out
So the outer casing of the gear box had to be opened, and this is what we found.
Sorry for the bad pic as i took it with phone in dark.

The tiny metal bit are parts of ball bearing that broke,thankfully I got it opened on time and further damage didn't happen.
Uh-oh... this doesn't look good. Which bearing is this? Can't make out anything from the pic. Did metal bits mix with gear oil?
Old 13th December 2011, 12:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully those metal bits didn't circulate through the gearbox else it could have been a disaster.
The bearing that broke is the last part in the gearbox,and the synchro ring also needs replacement-since it wasn't available,I had to leave the hawk with them.only the last outer casing for GB was opened after disconnecting the shaft.

Worst part is that aftersales is in patiala and I am in ambala.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully those metal bits didn't circulate through the gearbox else it could have been a disaster.
The bearing that broke is the last part in the gearbox,and the synchro ring also needs replacement-since it wasn't available,I had to leave the hawk with them.only the last outer casing for GB was opened after disconnecting the shaft.

Worst part is that aftersales is in patiala and I am in ambala.
This is a very serious concern as far as parts quality goes. As i can make out you use your Scorpio on good roads.

Bearing giving away in such manner is a serious matter, as it may have resulted in more damages.

What are the service guy have to say on this.?
Old 13th December 2011, 22:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
This is a very serious concern as far as parts quality goes. As i can make out you use your Scorpio on good roads.

Bearing giving away in such manner is a serious matter, as it may have resulted in more damages.

What are the service guy have to say on this.?
Even aftersales guys said,it seems to be a quality concern,as no way it can give way in less than 25K kms.I was not able to go to aftersales today.However they delivered the vehicle late in the evening after testing it for 100+kms.
5th gear kit,that includes,bearing/synchro rings,has been replaced.
Old 15th December 2011, 01:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Drove her around at various speeds.
it seems issue has gone away.
the 5th gear doesnt slip,and the transmission whine in 5th gear,has also gone away with it.

Parts replaced-5th gear kit,that includes the gear and synchro rings.

Most Viewed