Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 14:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Verna refuses to start at times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Connectors are fine, have not tried with another battery. Thanks for the suggestion. let me try that and see.

-Sajan
I forgot to mention that in my friend's case the battery had been replaced a month back. But the battery replacement took after nearly 4 yrs and 35K running.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
1. Does your car comes with Immobiliser? If yes try with second key provided.
2. Did you try to remove the key completely and then re-insert and crank the engine when the issue happens?
3. Why dont you check for any specific error codes in ECU at the Hyundai workshop?
Do you mean the engine immobiliser like the new verna has? nope I dont have that, Have the normal autocop.

I did remove the key and tried to restart, at times worked and some times I had to try 5-6 times.

I have not tried the ECU scan at hyundai, but thanks for the point, will check that also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I forgot to mention that in my friend's case the battery had been replaced a month back. But the battery replacement took after nearly 4 yrs and 35K running.
my stock battery is running since nov '08 and i have clocked 37k till date, exide battery center says battery is in good health.

-Sajan

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th December 2011 at 17:41.
Old 15th December 2011, 15:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sajan
1. Get the battery checked from some other place. One of the cells might be weak. What did the exide ppl check exactly ? This is your stock battery which came with your car. right ?
2. Check the fuel filter or get it replaced.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:55   #19
BHPian

hi sajan

to understand your problem better, could you please mention the type of noise you get from the engine when it refuses to start? is it one of the following types?

1. Click..click.. click...click ( similar to the noise from a ratchet, but at a very high frequency)
Reason:-
-A).Faulty bendix drive of the starter motor.
- 1. As a temporary step, whenever you are in this situation, try jump starting the vehicle in any gear for one time. But
you must be careful that the vehicle musn't start while trying to jump sart it. After this, try cranking the vehicle with
the ignition key. In this attemp, your vehicle will fire up. This is 100% guaranteed.
- 2. Replace starter motor
-B) Loose battery terminal ( both the terminals or anyone )
-Tighten the battery terminals, apply vasline and try cranking.

2. Engine trying to start but the starting sound comes in a sinusoidal pattern, for one full rotation of the crankshaft.
Reason
- Weak battery
-1. Re-charge the battery and try cranking the vehicle.
-2. Replace the battery.

3. While turning on the ignition key, you will hear only one click from the engine and after that no response from engine.
Reason
- 1. Dead battery
- Change the dead battery
- 2. Loose starter motor terminal.
- Tighten the loose terminals of the starter motor

4. Engine trying to start and the starting sound pattern from the engine remains constant throughout the cranking. If yours is a diesel vehicle check whether exhaust smoke is white.
Reason
- 1. clogged diesel line
- Clean all fuel lines and diesel tank thoroughly. Also, get the fuel filters replaced
- 2. Air lock in diesel line ( for this you will not get any white smoke
- Get an expert's hand to prime your fuel line.

cheers

Last edited by wild child : 15th December 2011 at 17:15.
wild child is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 00:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds like a battery issue.

Ask the battery guys to check the specific gravity in addition to the PD they usually check. Also, check the PD while cranking.
Old 18th December 2011, 01:20   #21
BHPian

Sounds to me like you may be having a current leakage somewhere. I have a strong suspicion that your autocop is draining your battery. Reason why I am saying this is because a friend of mine faced a similar issue and service centre guys found battery to be ok. But it would still not start at times. Checked again and found that the autocop was draining the battery. It was draining it even when the car was not armed.
Suggest you get your car checked for current leakage/drainage due to autocop.
Old 18th December 2011, 07:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

To me it seems like a battery issue, my battery was changed after 5+ years of running and i got it checked twice and both places they said its fine, but occasionally it gave some problems.

There is another way to check weakness in battery which i figured out after it got changed. In the night the headlamps would slightly dim when you use the power windows. Try rolling two windows down, Switch on head lamp in high beam, now roll up both windows and keep rolling up switch engaged few seconds after the windows have fully rolled up. At some point when the windows are fully rolled up and power windows switch still pressed the headlamps will slightly dim.

Also at lights keep the ignition fully off so as blower should not run, only hazard lights, horn and music should run.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 18th December 2011 at 07:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks