Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Verna refuses to start at times

Hi Bhpian's,

Need your help on the curious case of verna not starting at times.

To start with, I have a 2008 Verna CRDi which I have been using almost everyday, since the last 3 weeks i have started to notice that,

1. At signals when I turn off the engine when the count is at 140 secs and have the music system turned off and only the blower fan running and car in acc mode, the car at times starts at the first turn when the signal count is at 15 secs.

2. At times it refuses to start even if the car is completely shut down with all electricals switched off and when I try to start, 3-4 clicks and the car is dead its only after 5-7 attempts of turning the key, that the car slowly comes to life.

Now, I don't want to risk turning off the engine at the signals, fear of being a victim of road rage if my car does not start, its better to burn fuel than being killed or abused by people around.

The battery, which by the way is Exide(Stock, not changed) and exide center says battery is in good shape and also have got all the electrical checked. I even went ahead and refilled the distill water and got the battery recharged for 24 hours. still the problem remains.

I did not give the car to Hyundai as i feel they will rob me saying starter motor is gone, battery is gone and land me with an heart attack bill and change all working parts, the car was given at sai colorium who did a detailed check and said everything is fine.

Car does not overheat, battery light does not pop up on the console indicating there is a problem with the battery and there is not voltage drop also.

Car is never driven in the early mornings, its only post 9AM that I leave home and these issues crop up durning the afternoon times and evenings around 4-6 PM.

need help to crack this case.

-Sajan

Last edited by sajands : 15th December 2011 at 13:00. Reason: had to add few more points
Old 15th December 2011, 12:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Verna refuses to start at times

Have you checked the fuel supply ??? if battery and starter motor is fine then i think the fuel supply might be at fault.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Have you checked the fuel supply ??? if battery and starter motor is fine then i think the fuel supply might be at fault.
I have check the Fuel supply and its fine, no problems there.

-Sajan
Old 15th December 2011, 12:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can also be the case if
1) The fuses are not OK.
2) Faulty ignition switch.
3) Fuel filter may be clogged even if the fuel pump is working.
4) Bad starter wiring connections
5) Issues with the ECU
6) Bad injectors
7) Any other related electrical problem.

Best option is to visit the Hyundai workshop and get a quote. Not neccessary that you need to get the rectifications done at the workshop. One of my friends had a similar issue with the Verna not starting, he got the fuel pump replaced by known mechanic for 3K when Hyundai quoted him 10K.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quick free trial.

Find your starter motor relay. Swap with any other relay of the same capacity/size. See if the problem goes away. If it does, replace the relay which your swapped.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 13:01   #6
BHPian

Sounds something similar to what my previous generation diesel Fiesta was facing a couple of months ago. It was a problem related to fuel pump. The car had clocked 82000 Kms. at that time. Replacing the fuel pump did the job. Total cost incurred was INR 6500 (not at Ford Motors).
Old 15th December 2011, 13:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can also be the case if
1) The fuses are not OK.
2) Faulty ignition switch.
3) Fuel filter may be clogged even if the fuel pump is working.
4) Bad starter wiring connections
5) Issues with the ECU
6) Bad injectors
7) Any other related electrical problem.

Best option is to visit the Hyundai workshop and get a quote. Not neccessary that you need to get the rectifications done at the workshop. One of my friends had a similar issue with the Verna not starting, he got the fuel pump replaced by known mechanic for 3K when Hyundai quoted him 10K.
Ghodlur,

Disconnected the battery overnight to reset the ecu and connected the battery back again next day, problem still remains.

All fuses and injectors are good, ignition switch, injectors all checked in service, no clog in injectors, fuel lines are clean, all electricals are working fine.

-Sajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Quick free trial.

Find your starter motor relay. Swap with any other relay of the same capacity/size. See if the problem goes away. If it does, replace the relay which your swapped.
Thanks for the tip AbhiJ, will look into this.

-Sajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Sounds something similar to what my previous generation diesel Fiesta was facing a couple of months ago. It was a problem related to fuel pump. The car had clocked 82000 Kms. at that time. Replacing the fuel pump did the job. Total cost incurred was INR 6500 (not at Ford Motors).
Well, the Fuel pump is in good condition and the fuel filter was also replaced.

-Sajan

Last edited by Eddy : 15th December 2011 at 13:53. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Ghodlur,

Disconnected the battery overnight to reset the ecu and connected the battery back again next day, problem still remains.

All fuses and injectors are good, ignition switch, injectors all checked in service, no clog in injectors, fuel lines are clean, all electricals are working fine.

-Sajan
Then the fuel pump is the only culprit as had happened with my friend. Replace the fuel pump. Note that there is a difference in the prices quoted by road side mechanic and Hyundai.

Is your car still under warranty/Extended warranty?
Old 15th December 2011, 13:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

really sounds more like the battery, but you say you got that checked.
Did you try another battery?
and checked connectors too?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 13:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Then the fuel pump is the only culprit as had happened with my friend. Replace the fuel pump. Note that there is a difference in the prices quoted by road side mechanic and Hyundai.

Is your car still under warranty/Extended warranty?
Nope, no warranty or extended warranty. As you have ,mentioned, let me check with Hyundai.

-Sajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
and checked connectors too?
Connectors are fine, have not tried with another battery. Thanks for the suggestion. let me try that and see.

-Sajan

Last edited by Eddy : 15th December 2011 at 13:54. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Please do not keep the blower running when the car's engine is off.
supercars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
2. At times it refuses to start even if the car is completely shut down with all electricals switched off and when I try to start, 3-4 clicks and the car is dead its only after 5-7 attempts of turning the key, that the car slowly comes to life.
Sajan, if your car is dead, in as much as not cranking at all, then it is the battery or the battery terminals. If the battery does not have enough juice to crank for 10 times, then it is dead, I am sure you would not have cranked for 30 times. (Exides do not last very long and yours is 3 years plus) If Exide says your battery is fine, ask someone to check your battery terminals for loose contact. OTOH, if the car can crank and you still cannot get it to start, check the fuel supply system.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:05   #13
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
+1

The battery is the culprit. The battery is now over 3 years old and has reached the end of its life. Change the battery and you will see that your car start in one crank.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:35   #14
BHPian

1. Does your car comes with Immobiliser? If yes try with second key provided.
2. Did you try to remove the key completely and then re-insert and crank the engine when the issue happens?
3. Why dont you check for any specific error codes in ECU at the Hyundai workshop?
Old 15th December 2011, 14:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
+1

The battery is the culprit. The battery is now over 3 years old and has reached the end of its life. Change the battery and you will see that your car start in one crank.
Let me try with another battery and see if the problem stays or if the battery is the culprit.

-Sajan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks