Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 14:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Problematic- 2003 honda city automatic gearbox

Update Time.
My car has finally been fixed and needless to say, i am extremely happy. I was recommended by one of my friends to try a workshop called Hyper power at Turbhe, Navi Mumbai.This came at a time when i was fast loosing hope as i didnt know what to do and how to get it fixed.some of the estimates i was given so far were sky high and i wasnt even certain about their reliability.The owner of Hyper Power, Mr Mahesh Patil is an absolute gem and a thorough professional and is a genius when it comes to fixing Automatic Gearboxes.So on Monday evening I drive down to his workshop with my failing OHC. We went for a small test drive and he confirmed there could be an issue with the gear box. He asked me not to worry about it and that he could easily fix it as he has handled AT gearboxes of much more complex and high end cars. There were lots of expensive cars at his workshop being worked on at the time of my visit including a current gen S-class, a few old mercs etc etc. to back his claim.

I get a call from him the very next day afternoon updating me that he has opened up the gearbox and the filter which he initially thought would have been clogged, is actually alright and that he hasn't found anything wrong with the Gear box so far but since he had opened up the gearbox to bits, he gave it a thorough clean.The problem was later diagnosed to a faulty Torque Convertor. A Torque convertor is usually found between the Engine and the gearbox, the place you would normally find a clutch plate in a manual transmission. Its is supposed to spin freely but it was completely jammed in my car.This was an easy fix. So it was opened and refurbished.And that was it!!There was nothing wrong with the Gearbox at all.Just the Torque Convertor.

The whole job was completed in just under 3 days.The car is running like a dream now.Much smoother and effortless.The gear shifts are awesome and almost not noticeable just like the way they r meant to be. There are hardly any jerks even in kick down mode. And the best part is that is cost me just 12K and that includes replacement of a broken gear mount!! I am very pleased as the other quotes i had received so far were ranging any where between 50K - 60K that too without explaining what the problem was or what that would cover. Mahesh was patient enough to explain the whole process to me and what he would be doing and why.I am extremely happy to have the OHC back live and kicking again.
iceman1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 01:56   #17
BHPian

Re: Problematic- 2003 honda city automatic gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1 View Post
Update Time.
My car has finally been fixed and needless to say, i am extremely happy. I was recommended by one of my friends to try a workshop called Hyper power at Turbhe, Navi Mumbai.This came at a time when i was fast loosing hope as i didnt know what to do and how to get it fixed.some of the estimates i was given so far were sky high and i wasnt even certain about their reliability.The owner of Hyper Power, Mr Mahesh Patil is an absolute gem and a thorough professional and is a genius when it comes to fixing Automatic Gearboxes.So on Monday evening I drive down to his workshop with my failing OHC. We went for a small test drive and he confirmed there could be an issue with the gear box. He asked me not to worry about it and that he could easily fix it as he has handled AT gearboxes of much more complex and high end cars. There were lots of expensive cars at his workshop being worked on at the time of my visit including a current gen S-class, a few old mercs etc etc. to back his claim.

I get a call from him the very next day afternoon updating me that he has opened up the gearbox and the filter which he initially thought would have been clogged, is actually alright and that he hasn't found anything wrong with the Gear box so far but since he had opened up the gearbox to bits, he gave it a thorough clean.The problem was later diagnosed to a faulty Torque Convertor. A Torque convertor is usually found between the Engine and the gearbox, the place you would normally find a clutch plate in a manual transmission. Its is supposed to spin freely but it was completely jammed in my car.This was an easy fix. So it was opened and refurbished.And that was it!!There was nothing wrong with the Gearbox at all.Just the Torque Convertor.

The whole job was completed in just under 3 days.The car is running like a dream now.Much smoother and effortless.The gear shifts are awesome and almost not noticeable just like the way they r meant to be. There are hardly any jerks even in kick down mode. And the best part is that is cost me just 12K and that includes replacement of a broken gear mount!! I am very pleased as the other quotes i had received so far were ranging any where between 50K - 60K that too without explaining what the problem was or what that would cover. Mahesh was patient enough to explain the whole process to me and what he would be doing and why.I am extremely happy to have the OHC back live and kicking again.

Good to hear your problem was fixed by someone who knows what he is doing. Wish i was in mumbai.
The monkeys here at honda didnt have a clue what was wrong with the gearbox and kept insisting it was fine. Only after making them rework it a couple of times, and then giving the box time to settle was the problem solved. But they still dont know what was wrong, cause in a way, the box righted itself.
stormsearcher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks