Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 10:27   #1
BHPian

Power steering belt snapped (Baleno). Can i drive 60 kms without damaging anything?

Yesterday, as I was nearing home in a Baleno, suddenly the steering became very heavy and when I checked the engine bay at home the belt from power steering motor seems to be missing!

Obviously it snapped on the way and fell off, there is no oil leakage. I have to go out of station (around 60 kms) to Chandigarh where i plan to get it serviced. My question is can I drive safely on highway.

I have driven it to short distance this morning and have found nothing abnormal except a heavy steering esp. when turning with vehicle stationary or at low speed.

I have got contrasting opinion from mechanics, from it's Ok to it can lead to overheating and must not be done. I need urgent help to know what is right as I don't want to turn a small fault in to something bigger
Old 16th December 2011, 10:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: power steering belt snapped on Baleno, can i drive 60 kms without damaging anythi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Yesterday, as I was nearing home in a Baleno, suddenly the steering became very heavy and when I checked the engine bay at home the belt from power steering motor seems to be missing!

Obviously it snapped on the way and fell off, there is no oil leakage. I have to go out of station (around 60 kms) to Chandigarh where i plan to get it serviced. My question is can I drive safely on highway.

I have driven it to short distance this morning and have found nothing abnormal except a heavy steering esp. when turning with vehicle stationary or at low speed.

I have got contrasting opinion from mechanics, from it's Ok to it can lead to overheating and must not be done. I need urgent help to know what is right as I don't want to turn a small fault in to something bigger
Since you have seen its missing, i am assuming its accessible easily.
and you have mechanics around.
why not get it fixed, and since its not a typical service part, how does it matter anyway?
Old 16th December 2011, 10:41   #3
BHPian

Re: power steering belt snapped on Baleno, can i drive 60 kms without damaging anythi

it's not available here!
Old 16th December 2011, 11:20   #4
BHPian

Re: Power steering belt snapped (Baleno). Can i drive 60 kms without damaging anythin

Hi Rock,

Below is just my experience what i had a year back with my fiesta. We were driving to Chennai from Bangalore and suddenly AC stopped working and steering became hard as if we had no PS. Then we pulled over and checked under the hood, the belot was cut and come out of the groove...Called Ford mechanic (a person whom i know) and he said you can drive but dont drive fast keep 40-50 and stop and proceed as it tends to get heated. We drove for almost 80 kms and got the belt changed in Chennai. Ofcourse, got a bill of 16K (all incl, and yes its a FORD!!!)

So with that, i assume that shouldnt be a problem at lower speeds, with little extra care in driving. But definetly recommend to get it replaced.

That was the story of Fiesta, would advise otherwise get it touch with your mechanic and check with him how is it for Baleno!!!
Old 16th December 2011, 11:31   #5
BHPian

Re: Power steering belt snapped (Baleno). Can i drive 60 kms without damaging anythin

16k for a belt, was there some damage to any other part?
Old 16th December 2011, 11:43   #6
BHPian

I have quite an experience of driving without a power steering belt on my Esteem Diesel.

A fault in the design of a bracket used to cause this quite often. The belt was replaced atleast 10 times before maruti replaced the bracket with a newly designed one and the problem stopped.

Every time the belt broke, Sai Service was informed and the car was driven between 50 - 400 km before it could come to Sai Service. There were no words of caution from them and the car was driven by us just as normal.

Apart from a heavy steering there was nothing wrong with it. No overheating problem.

All this happened during the first 1 lakh km of usage of the car. Today the car has done more than 3.2lakh km and has no problems related to PS.

This is my experience with my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parashakthi View Post
..... got a bill of 16K (all incl, and yes its a FORD!!!)
16K? For what?
Old 16th December 2011, 11:47   #7
BHPian

my experience:

few months ago i accidentally drove my OHC over a coconut which got shattered into pieces and one part of the shell made its way into engine bay and snapped the power steering belt. i immediately felt the steering becoming heavy and stopped the car and inspected. after that i drove to my office (21 KM) from there and in the evening back to my mechanic near my home (another 20-22 KM) and got it fixed. it did not damage anything else, cost was approx. 800 (including cost of belt and labor).

P.S. now i know why while taking delivery of the car it is considered auspicious to drive it over a lemon and not over a coconut.

Last edited by infotech58 : 16th December 2011 at 11:49.
infotech58 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
16k for a belt, was there some damage to any other part?
Nope, but they changed the full belt set as they said its worn out. But the worst part was we got it replaced in Chennai and came back to Bangalore, next morning while taking out the car again it snapped from the groove. Then called up Ford in Bangalore and blasted left right and centre. Then they replaced it for free in Bangalore.

I just got the bill checked and there was quite a lot of parts changed as the pulley crank has bent and the belt snapped off the grooves.

All these they changed: V belt, tension pulley, pulley crank shaft, timing belt, accessory drive belt.

I doubt you had any such damage on your car, it might be just a belt which cut and fallen. I dont think that would damage any part. If the PS belt is cut, its like any other non PS car. Is your AC working???

Lets see what the experts say on this...
Old 16th December 2011, 12:08   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I suppose you can manage with safe, careful driving as this is an emergency. However, be sure to get it replaced at the first available opportunity. Varies from car to car, but in such a situation, the steering can get really heavy at low speeds. That in turn will make you exert excessive force on the steering wheel (and thus, related parts like the column for instance). Don't want anything snapping or breaking.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

doesnt the baleno have a serpentine belt?
asking some baleno enthusiasts here to clarify.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I need urgent help to know what is right as I don't want to turn a small fault in to something bigger
It's just fine to drive the car for short distances.

Just be prepared for some surprising amounts of under-steer.

Also, make a mental note to steer only when the tyres are rolling. It reduces the stress a LOT.
Old 16th December 2011, 13:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

What else does the steering pump drive belt run in a Baleno? Alternator? Water pump? AC compressor? Or is it a standalone belt that has no effect on other systems if it snaps?
Old 16th December 2011, 13:31   #13
BHPian

i think only the AC, that's what the mechanic told, i see another belt below power steering belt which is intact
Old 16th December 2011, 13:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i think only the AC, that's what the mechanic told, i see another belt below power steering belt which is intact
If it's only the AC compressor, and a second belt drives the alternator and water pump, you can drive any distance and not worry; just make absolutely sure that the alternator and water pump are being driven by the other belt.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:51   #15
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Yes as SST mentioned, it can be driven. It had happened with my baleno too. Its vey difficult to drive long distance.

Had it been the other one, then the engine would have over heated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks