Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell

Hi,
I own a Hyundai Accent CRDi 2003.

In April 2011 (ODO: 87889), on recommendation from Kusalava Hyundai (Vijayawada) I had a complete Engine Overhauling done, replacing all 3 pistons at the cost of Rs. 56,575.00. They assured me, my engine was good for at least another 1,00,000 kms.
I then regularly got the car serviced at (ODO : 89074, 94331, and 102301)

On 14, December 2011 at 2:00 AM in the night (15th early hours), while cruising at 100kmph (5th Gear, 2500 RMP), my car (ODO : 103998) experienced complete failure. I assumed it was electric failure, due to the battery and moved the car to safety and checked for fuse outages and battery terminals. The car refused to crank also.

I called Lakshmi Hyundai, (Hyderabad, Attapur Branch) the next morning and as the car was not starting even by jump starting, we towed it to the service station.

Upon reaching the service station, the analysis through the OBD port for any ECU errors did not return any error. The service engineers came to a conclusion that, it was an engine problem because they could not rotate the engine freely and opened the engine block.

To my utter dismay, we could see metal floating in the engine oil in the engine block. The engineers were surprised and told me that they have never seen anything like that.

Upon investigation, they concluded that the metal was from the piston sleeve from the first piston.

The metal pieces were like an egg shell after removing the shell off a boiled egg. How can metal be in such a state unless it was a substandard part from Hyundai ? Is this the quality of parts they sell at Authorized Service Stations or are Authorized Service Stations selling duplicate parts ?

I called Kusalava Hyundai and the Service Manger there, one Mr. Babu was very rude to me and when I asked if they would take any responsibility, asked me to take it up with Hyundai as the Hyundai warranty for spares was only for 10,000 Kms and 6 months.

So, does Hyundai take responsibly only for 10000 kms and does this imply we have to get complete over hauling every 10,000 kms because of their sub-standard parts ?

Lakshmi Hyundai estimated the repair cost at Rs.1,00,000 before they assess the damage to the engine block and told me the cost would go up, in case there is damage.

I feel cheated by Hyundai, and all their promises.

Is this “New Thinking “? Where in there is an engine overhauling every 10,000 kms ?
And they are making “New possibilities” by cheating customers?

I was stranded on the road at 2 AM.
[IMG]http://www.******************.com/forums/attachments/nostalgic-era/31982d1319706983-nostalgic-cars-newspaper-advertisements-hyunda-accent-ad.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah right ! Hyundai helped me reach somewhere and stranded, but not my where I wanted.

And how can someone responsible say they have nothing to do with it ?

Weren’t Sleeves made out of iron alloys and were supposed to be very reliable??

Is this even possible ? How can the sleeve slip and be crushed, unless they screwed up at the Foundry during the overhaul ?
Old 16th December 2011, 13:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell

I can understand the pain and anger you are going through. Its robbery in day light IMHO, and not just Hyundai others also do the same. For example MGP/SGP parts only have warranty for 3/6 months depending on parts etc, and if they go bad in post sic months the expense is on you to get it repaired.

I have had similar experience with Maruti on my Baleno, there is a slight sound coming from the wheels and when i went to Carnation i was told the lower arm has developed a play and hence making slight sound occasionally. The Lower arms last at least 30-40K Kms (The ones that came with the car lasted 50K Kms), the replaced ones are making slight kat-kat sound after 12k Kms.I have decided to delay this repair for sometime as the play isn't bad, also will in most probability take second opinion.
Old 16th December 2011, 15:35   #3
BHPian

Attaching a picture of the metal pieces in the engine block
Attached Thumbnails
Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0043.jpg  

Old 17th December 2011, 09:23   #4
BHPian

I can't believe the sleeve broke off like this. Its surely a case of defective part (Probably there were blow holes). In my opinion you should inform hyundai, with all documents and photographs and let us see what they say.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfSith View Post
Hi,
I own a Hyundai Accent CRDi 2003.

I....

Is this the quality of parts they sell at Authorized Service Stations or are Authorized Service Stations selling duplicate parts ?
Did you absolutely NEED an overhaul at 87K?

Did they do a compression test before the rebuild was undertaken?

As far as I know, factory fit is factory fit. These 'Genuine' Replacements are often outsourced to 'suppliers' which makes QC a nightmare. For eg. both Valeo & Ceekay Daikin are Maruti Genuine for Clutches. Both cost around the same amount. Still, I find my MASS recommending Ceekay, which is a known underperforming part. Another possibility is that they chose substitute/compatible part from the database as the exact part was unavailable & tried to do some improvisation. Do check if all the changed parts match with your original(if you've retained the original parts).

Yes, this is rampant cheating & daylight robbery. You can only do so much as to collect enough evidence & build a solid case for yourself. I do hope that Hyundai reimburse the full cost of repair.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even if this is beyond Warranty, collapse of this sort is not accepted. You can take it to a consumer court if Hyundai does not respond. Also try contacting any Auto Magazine to see if they take up the issue.

Hope you have retained the original package these parts came in

Like JustCause indicated above, did you really need an engine overhaul at 87000km?
Old 17th December 2011, 11:03   #7
BHPian

I have never seen an engine in this state before , piston scuff i understand but this is new.

I have a feeling this has to do with alignment and trueness of the mating surfaces , or they missed a dowel or two. at high RPM even normal RPM the engine can shatter but this extent is something new for me.
Old 18th December 2011, 01:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Did you absolutely NEED an overhaul at 87K?

Did they do a compression test before the rebuild was undertaken?
I was seeing niggles and problems surface.
I took the car to the Service Station because it was overheating. The service adviser at Lavakusa Hyundai advised me to get a complete overhaul done, and assured me that no engine problems would surface for atleast the next 100000 kms.

It has only been 15000 kms since and now when I call them and quote the same, they talk about warranties.
Old 18th December 2011, 01:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Hope you have retained the original package these parts came in
No I dint. Please help me understand, how it would help ?
But I do have the original bill from that service.
Old 18th December 2011, 10:31   #10
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I
I called Kusalava Hyundai and the Service Manger there, one Mr. Babu was very rude to me and when I asked if they would take any responsibility, asked me to take it up with Hyundai as the Hyundai warranty for spares was only for 10,000 Kms and 6 months.

So, does Hyundai take responsibly only for 10000 kms and does this imply we have to get complete over hauling every 10,000 kms because of their sub-standard parts ?
Send a Complaint to Hyundai area service manager (Hyderabad). His name is Kiran K P.
Contact
John Jayanth Godwin
Hyundai Motor India Ltd
Area Service Manager
(Handling Gujarat)
Mob:09909970671
His team-bhp id http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/member...trider_25.html
He is a friend of Kiran K P

Last edited by anb : 18th December 2011 at 10:35.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 16:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No I dint. Please help me understand, how it would help ?
But I do have the original bill from that service.
It may help in identifying whether the parts used were original
Old 20th December 2011, 15:38   #12
BHPian

Apparently Hyundai India called Lakshmi Hyundai, to file a preliminary report on the incident. So, I went down to Lakshmi Hyundai, when they were opening the engine.

Observations :

Complete first piston damage.
Engine sleeve, broke from the ridge below and got crushed (all the metal)
No visible damage to engine block.

The piston was so badly damaged, that it was difficult to imagine it was made of solid metal.

Attaching pictures :
Attached Thumbnails
Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0053.jpg  

Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0054.jpg  

Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0061.jpg  

Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0064.jpg  

Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0063.jpg  

Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0068.jpg  

Accent CRDi - Piston Sleeve Crushed like EggShell-imag0067.jpg  

Old 20th December 2011, 19:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfSith
Apparently Hyundai India called Lakshmi Hyundai, to file a preliminary report on the incident. So, I went down to Lakshmi Hyundai, when they were opening the engine.

Observations :

Complete first piston damage.
Engine sleeve, broke from the ridge below and got crushed (all the metal)
No visible damage to engine block.

The piston was so badly damaged, that it was difficult to imagine it was made of solid metal.

Attaching pictures :
This is very is very bad!! Don't leave Hyundai. Ask them for complete replacement free of cost! Stand on their foot if you have to!
Old 21st December 2011, 22:02   #14
BHPian

UPDATE :

Lakshmi Hyundai called.

They said, they would be replacing the parts and that Kusalava Hyundai would be sending the parts.

I have a couple of questions :

1. They said, they would be replacing only 1 piston. Is that adviceable ?
Shouldn't all the pistons have same amounts of wear and tear ? Would this change compression ratios ?

2. Should I be paying for the service/labour charges ? Or should I be fighting for them as well ?
In cases like mine, should I be paying anything, anything at all ? Like for Engine Oil, Oil Seals etc ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:59   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfSith
UPDATE :

Lakshmi Hyundai called.

They said, they would be replacing the parts and that Kusalava Hyundai would be sending the parts.

I have a couple of questions :

1. They said, they would be replacing only 1 piston. Is that adviceable ?
Shouldn't all the pistons have same amounts of wear and tear ? Would this change compression ratios ?

2. Should I be paying for the service/labour charges ? Or should I be fighting for them as well ?
In cases like mine, should I be paying anything, anything at all ? Like for Engine Oil, Oil Seals etc ?
I don't have knowledge regarding your first question.

For the second one , you agree only for the consumeable like engine oil. All the required parts must be covered by them only!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks