Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 23:59   #1
BHPian

New Hyundai I20 Petrol - Engine + ECU trouble - Car breaks down 1500 KMS

I purchased a Hyundai I20 Petrol ASTA (ABS + Sunroof model) on 14-Oct-2011 from Shivnath Hyundai, Raipur.

I had given the car for its first free service on 21-Nov-2011 and just when my driver was bringing back the car home after the service, the car broke down and stalled on the road. He wasn't able to start it and had to push it. I called the showroom guys and told them about the matter and they sent a team to fix it. But the mechanics that came had no idea what had happened and they just fiddled here and there with the vehicle but could not start it. Loud noise and rattles also started coming from the engine area soon.

Those guys then towed the vehicle to the showroom and the next day I was told that the ECU of my car had gone bad and would be replaced free of cost as the vehicle was in warranty. Since they did not have the ECU in stock, they replaced my car's ECU with their demo vehicle's ECU and asked me to collect the vehicle and promised that they would replace the ECU to a brand new one as soon as it arrived in stock. After around 5 days they called me and asked me to send the car and then promptly changed the ECU. They also said that they have taken a proper long trial of around 50-60 Kilometers with the vehicle and assured me that everything would be fine.

Now on 15-Dec-2011, I was coming home from work and the car just stopped responding at one of the red lights and the engine died. I could not start the vehicle no matter what and had to again push it to the road side and then call the showroom guys. After giving them an earful, some mechanics turned up and again tried everything to fix the vehicle but could not start it. They again towed the vehicle to the dealership.

I got a call from them the next day that they are not able to understand what the problem is and that they are trying their best to fix it. I was just shocked hearing such a reply and blasted them. On the second day I got another call and their Service Head told me on phone that the car is not able to start and there is some "back compression" in the engine and also there is presence of oil in the air-filter and carbon in the spark plugs and stuff. He said that he had spoken to the company people and they would get back to him on the issue after seeing his report.

Today I got another call and email from him saying that he needed my approval to open the engine cylinder head and carry out detailed diagnosis and send it to the company technicians as they have asked for it. I just bluntly refused the same and said I do not want this vehicle now and since it has developed an engine snag in less than 1500 Kilometers, I needed a replacement or my money back.

Its already been 4 days and the vehicle is with them. Earlier also they had the vehicle with them for 2 days. I have emailed and lodged written complaints with the dealer and also the company from the first time my vehicle had broken down. I just want to know how should I proceed further in this matter and what would be appropriate for me to do. I have also posted on their facebook page. Surprisingly I haven't received even one call from the company regarding this whole matter even after all my numerous complaints.

I am just disappointed and shocked and sad that a new top end model of the I20 has died on me twice in like 2 months. I am considering filing a case in the local Consumer Forum as well.

Please advice. Thanks.

Last edited by maverick145 : 20th December 2011 at 00:03.
maverick145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 00:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Pls do write in to Autocar Magzine. Hormazd is of great help when it cones to company's giving a hard time to theor customers. Lets see wat happens.
Old 20th December 2011, 00:37   #3
BHPian

Re: New Hyundai I20 Petrol - Engine + ECU trouble - Car breaks down 1500 KMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Pls do write in to Autocar Magzine. Hormazd is of great help when it cones to company's giving a hard time to theor customers. Lets see wat happens.
Any link or email id? I am sorry but I do not read car magazines.
Old 20th December 2011, 00:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Adi,

Although Autocar would be a perfect way to start dealing with issues regarding ones car or bike, it has a catch. The Autocar HELPLINE is available only to Autocar India subscribers. But on second thoughts it is really worth giving a try.

It can be very frustrating when issues crop up in brand new cars of even established players such as Hyundai and Maruti.

Another option one has is that he speaks directly with the company customer relationship manager and start mailing to companys top officials. Try to draft a detailed but stern letter when communicating with top officials. Be aware of your rights.

If nothing helps, Consumer Courts are of great help. But this should be the last option.
Old 20th December 2011, 00:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Hi Adi,

Although Autocar would be a perfect way to start dealing with issues regarding ones car or bike, it has a catch. The Autocar HELPLINE is available only to Autocar India subscribers. But on second thoughts it is really worth giving a try.

It can be very frustrating when issues crop up in brand new cars of even established players such as Hyundai and Maruti.

Another option one has is that he speaks directly with the company customer relationship manager and start mailing to companys top officials. Try to draft a detailed but stern letter when communicating with top officials. Be aware of your rights.

If nothing helps, Consumer Courts are of great help. But this should be the last option.
I think my brother is an Autocar subscriber. I will check with him. Also, I have sent written letters to the Hyundai CEO (marked confidential) and their West Regional Office apart from emailing them using their website and on cr@hmil.net. I have also posted on their Facebook page. I haven't received a single call from them till date. Pathetic attitude. I am really regretting buying a Hyundai.
Old 20th December 2011, 01:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I am just disappointed and shocked and sad that a new top end model of the I20 has died on me twice in like 2 months. I am considering filing a case in the local Consumer Forum as well.

Please advice. Thanks.

I would suggest you do not take delivery of this vehicle at all unless they change the engine and ECU in front of your eyes. If they do not comply with this request, speak to them softly and say that you will take it to the consumer court. Whatever you do, keep records and do not accept any oral arrangements. Tread very carefully, I feel for you as much as everyone who reads this thread will, it is such a pathetic experience after spending top money.
Old 20th December 2011, 01:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I would suggest you do not take delivery of this vehicle at all unless they change the engine and ECU in front of your eyes. If they do not comply with this request, speak to them softly and say that you will take it to the consumer court. Whatever you do, keep records and do not accept any oral arrangements. Tread very carefully, I feel for you as much as everyone who reads this thread will, it is such a pathetic experience after spending top money.
Thanks bro. I have been keeping written and printed records of all my communications with the dealer and the company carefully. I have just asked them for a refund as of now and will not accept this vehicle at all after its engine being opened. I do not want to give them options as of now and am still waiting to see what they have to offer.
Old 20th December 2011, 01:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have just asked them for a refund as of now and will not accept this vehicle at all after its engine being opened. I do not want to give them options as of now and am still waiting to see what they have to offer.

That is smart, keep it that way. There was an instance here in Team-BHP where a Maruti was replaced, so it could be possible Hyundai could do this as well. (keeping fingers crossed).
Old 20th December 2011, 11:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145

Any link or email id? I am sorry but I do not read car magazines.
You can try twitter. Follow @hormazdsorabjee, and den post a msg. He is very much likely to reply. Also follow @sidpatankar. Another auto journalist to help you.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 11:33   #10
BHPian

@maverick... I can understand your predicament, but you should also consider giving some time before you start filing complaints to the consumer court or the media. Its just been 4 days. Issues like this might take much longer to resolve.

I would suggest, you request the dealer to arrange for a temporary vehicle while the company tries to resolve your issue. It all depends on how the dealer is dealing with you.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about your problem. I was in your shoes in April, with a 2 month old i10 AT having ECU problem.

Details are here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-sportz-8.html

There are direct ways to reach Hyundai, I will PM you some contacts.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 11:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
@maverick... I can understand your predicament, but you should also consider giving some time before you start filing complaints to the consumer court or the media. Its just been 4 days. Issues like this might take much longer to resolve.

I would suggest, you request the dealer to arrange for a temporary vehicle while the company tries to resolve your issue. It all depends on how the dealer is dealing with you.
The problem is that the issue is a recurring one. The dealer is trying to avoid the issue and I have not seen any positive follow up from him up till now. The mechanics at the workshop are also totally incapable it seems. I am not filing the consumer forum complaint as of now but I really want to get back at Hyundai and the dealer through the media and other contacts. Its been 1 month since the problem first occurred and they have not bothered to call me even once despite all my written and email complaints. This is not done.

Quote:
You can try twitter. Follow @hormazdsorabjee, and den post a msg. He is very much likely to reply. Also follow @sidpatankar. Another auto journalist to help you.
Thank you. I will try pinging them on Twitter and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem. I was in your shoes in April, with a 2 month old i10 AT having ECU problem.

Details are here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-sportz-8.html

There are direct ways to reach Hyundai, I will PM you some contacts.
Thanks mate. I got the contacts. I will be sending them an email asap.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I purchased a Hyundai I20 Petrol ASTA (ABS + Sunroof model) on 14-Oct-2011 from Shivnath Hyundai, Raipur.

I had given the car for its first free service on 21-Nov-2011 and just when my driver was bringing back the car home after the service, the car broke down and stalled on the road. He wasn't able to start it and had to push it. I called the showroom guys and told them about the matter and they sent a team to fix it. But the mechanics that came had no idea what had happened and they just fiddled here and there with the vehicle but could not start it. Loud noise and rattles also started coming from the engine area soon.

Please advice. Thanks.

Hi Maverick 145, I too am from Raipur (currently in Hyd)and can understand the pathetic customer service these Hyundai guys would be giving you. If you do not get any response from any Hyundai person, I would suggest you file a consumer case in Raipur itself. Doing so timely will atleast have some defence in your kitty.

Go ahead, meet the dealer, give him a timeline and tell him on his face that if he does not adhere to, you will put up the case in consumer forum. Get the news in the local paper.

I recently bought a Vista and was thinking looking at a new i20 in my building whether I should have looked at this as an option. But after reading your article, I am mighty satisfied I did not buy a Hyundai.

Note from Team-BHP Support - Kindly avoid quoting posts in their entirety, unless addressing almost each and every point, it makes for a nicer reading experience.

Last edited by Amartya : 25th January 2012 at 08:40. Reason: Edited and reason left in-line. Cheers.
Old 20th December 2011, 20:14   #14
~~h
BHPian

Deja vu.. complex electronic issue in a tier 2 city, god save you.
I'm fighting a similiar problem on my Punto (Here's the link). The service in tier 2 cities are not upto the mark and they don't seem to have the right people for the job.

please start writing to Hyundai motors; search this forum & you should be getting the contacts.
Old 20th December 2011, 22:55   #15
BHPian

Update : I emailed all the contacts that Samurai had given to me. I also tweeted about this to Hormazd Sorabjee and he replied back with an email id and asked me to mail the issue there. I have done that too. No call from the company or the dealer yet.

I also spoke to a lawyer today and he said I could file a case and he said he could send them a notice asking them to take action within a fixed period of time (like 1 or 2 weeks or more) and if they fail to replace my car or refund my money in that duration also, then he will start the legal proceedings. I am thinking of going ahead with this too.

Thanks everyone for your support and guidance and please do let me know if I need to keep anything in mind or if there are more contacts for Hyundai or anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks