Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2011, 15:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?

There are two aspects in this. 1. Financial 2. Quality of finish

Going straight to the finishing, while there are very good bodywork denters around, you will have to look around to see the work (preferably work in progress) he has done on some other cars.If that is good - meaning the shape and finish is excellent, think of the next area ie painting.

If the panel is replaced correctly, we can proceed directly to the paintwork.

The painter has to take the time to fill and then sand the work till a really smooth finish is obtained. Only after this will the colour and clear coats come in.

Based on the expected results from these two options, you can think of the financial cost of the chosen repair method. If you can live with the cost, your decision is made.

Why we cant make an informed suggestion is that the operator skill and quality in denting and painting can make or break the repair job. With Christmas & New Year waiting to be celebrated, make sure these guys are not drunk while working. Wishing you the best.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 19:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

As many have said, no need for panel replacement at all. The damage is minor and can be restored to look new and no one would be able to tell.

As a rule of thumb, if the panel involves cutting sheet metal from the factory, I skip this option as it brings more issues than it solves depending on how this job is carried out. Of course, if the panel is beyond repair, then there is no other recourse...
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 11:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thought it might be relevant here,
I witnessed a tinkering/dent removal machine at work a couple of days ago, there is no hammering or cutting at all, the machine uses spot welding technique.
For minor dents the machine uses one of it's many attachments to just spot weld the electrode and the technician just lifts the sheet metal back into shape, for more difficult and complex damage there are metal keys which are again spot welded and then the keys are pulled with pullers so the sheet metal regains it's shape.
The time taken to repair the damaged panels is far less than the conventional method and the finish, needless to say is top notch.
This was seen in a workshop owned by a fellow Tbhpian, in fact the sheet metal repair guys at the workshop were being trained by the company technician in using the machine, the owner, like a true tbhpian had invited people with damaged cars for tinkering/dent removal for free.
I can mention the name and place if the mods feel it is ok to do it here.
Old 25th December 2011, 11:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

If i was you i would have been inclined to spend less and get it repaired at the local repair shop then go to A.S.S.

Off course the caveat here is the look and feel should be good (almost as good as new), or in other words its slight different which is noticeable only when you look closely.

If its going to so much different so as can be seen from decent distance then i would get encouraged to get the part replaced.
Old 25th December 2011, 12:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Some of the bigger workshops; especially those involved in body repairs of luxury cars; have tools and rigs for repairing this sort of damage. They attach a vacuum suction device and then slowly pull the panel out. With a proper rig you do not have to cut any thing. More over the original panel remains.

Most workshops do not have advanced body repair rigs, hence you can search for an independent work shop which has these rigs. In Delhi a couple of MUL dealer workshops have rigs and they do repair accident body work perfectly.

Another thing to look for is the welding expertise. If they have advanced spot welding, then fine. Else, they may be using gas welding, same as normal workshops, which can damage the existing body panel integrity.

In conclusion, repair work, outside the factory rarely restores the vehicle to its original state, but you have to live with what ever is available.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:13   #36
BHPian

Mods, please remove this post if not worthy posting here.

Hey Anil, please update this thread. I want to know what have you decided.

Unfortunately, a tempo hit my car last day and now I'm in similar situation tough damage is not as much. The presence of inner shell restricts blowing the sheet out by hammering.

My car is almost four months old. I don't know if repairing it from local shop is better or from FASS coupled with claiming from insurance. I will first contact the FASS and analysis the cost of repairing.

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-picture1.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-picture2.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-picture3.jpg
What's that layer between metal sheet and paint layer? Can someone please tell me?

I've also noticed that the paint around the damage easily chips away on touching. Is it normal? I don't want to try more since I'm afraid that paint from quite a large area might chip away if I try to chip off damaged paint.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Unfortunately, a tempo hit my car last day and now I'm in similar situation tough damage is not as much. The presence of inner shell restricts blowing the sheet out by hammering.

My car is almost four months old. I don't know if repairing it from local shop is better or from FASS coupled with claiming from insurance. I will first contact the FASS and analysis the cost of repairing.

Attachment 860983

Attachment 860985

Attachment 860987
What's that layer between metal sheet and paint layer? Can someone please tell me?

I've also noticed that the paint around the damage easily chips away on touching. Is it normal? I don't want to try more since I'm afraid that paint from quite a large area might chip away if I try to chip off damaged paint.

@Devilscry sorry to see your car like that, I know exactly how it feels!!

There is no layer in between paint and the sheet, looks like a blue colored tempo did that to your car.

Your damage is small and there is no use going to FASS at all, considering they want to replace everything as they have immense load on their body shop, small jobs like these where they earn less and invest more are generally not welcome. So local garage it is for you.

I have decided to go for denting. Actually just returned from the local garage after raising a claim and I was promised that I would get the car by Thursday. I have seen an SX4 being repaired for a similar damage and they seem to have done a good work!
Old 27th December 2011, 16:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 860983

Attachment 860985

Attachment 860987
Its primer+base coat

If you go the insurance way i don't think you would not have to shell out more than 0.5-1k.
In both the cases the entire panel would be painted.Be it denting or replacement. If you want to save on NCB or know a reliable paintshop then go that way otherwise FASS would be the way to go.

Last edited by k2max6 : 27th December 2011 at 16:18.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I have decided to go for denting. Actually just returned from the local garage after raising a claim and I was promised that I would get the car by Thursday.
When you get your car back, please do post pics. List of local garages in T-BHP directories and recommendations by follow BHPians is giving me confidence to try for a local workshop. Please also don't forget to post a review of your local garage in T-BHP after getting back the car. A lot people in Pune would benefit from your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
If you go the insurance way i don't think you would not have to shell out more than 0.5-1k. In both the cases the entire panel would be painted.
I suppose you mean that I will not have to shell out more than 1k in case of claiming insurance.

Entire panel painted? You sure? That's too much for such a small damage. This might even do more harm than good since I remember my dealer suggesting me to take a silver Figo instead as Diamond White (my Figo's color) is one of toughest colors to match. Anyway, I will find out when I approach FASS/garage. I will be claiming insurance since I have already used insurance to replace my windscreen which was cracked by two stray pebbles/stones.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
When you get your car back, please do post pics. List of local garages in T-BHP directories and recommendations by follow BHPians is giving me confidence to try for a local workshop. Please also don't forget to post a review of your local garage in T-BHP after getting back the car. A lot people in Pune would benefit from your review.

I suppose you mean that I will not have to shell out more than 1k in case of claiming insurance.

Entire panel painted? You sure? That's too much for such a small damage. This might even do more harm than good since I remember my dealer suggesting me to take a silver Figo instead as Diamond White (my Figo's color) is one of toughest colors to match. Anyway, I will find out when I approach FASS/garage. I will be claiming insurance since I have already used insurance to replace my windscreen which was cracked by two stray pebbles/stones.
Yup,you won't have to shell out more than 1k incase of claim.
Since you don't have NCB, insurance is the way to go.
It doesn't matter what color your car is ; every car color comes with a combination formula which is available with good paint shops and FASS.
Its made via computer so shade would be exactly the same.Little matching has to be done as the color on the rest of the car is a bit older,so they match it too look the same.

Yes,the entire panel would be painted.Don't worry your car would look as good as new.

If you don't want the entire panel painted then go to a local shop and ask him if he agrees to do so.Since the hole is at a point which may be accessible from the wheel arch,it can repaired and only the area with the hole can be painted,although you will able to spot a minor difference in shade or patch there.

Last edited by k2max6 : 27th December 2011 at 23:14.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, I could not find time to update the thread and when I really did, it did not occur to me that this is pending.

I have got the car back from Shetty's in the perfect condition. All the curves have been restored to their original glory!

And a word of praise for Shetty. This guy is genuine and an expert too! And You would not believe when I tell you that on the day of delivery when I saw my car with it Front Bumper (which got scraped in my apartment's tricky parking) repainted! He managed to convince the insurance guy (ICICI) to approve that too!

I strongly recommend this guy and of course, if you can find one such guy I strongly recommend denting too!

Edit: Pics will be posted soon!

Edit again:

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-cartukagayi.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-tuki.jpg

Last edited by anilisanil : 9th January 2012 at 15:39.
anilisanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 17:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

And a special not of thanks to @mmxylorider for recommending me this workshop and patiently answering all my questions on workmanship of this garage.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:30   #43
BHPian

Now that a month has passed, how's repaint looking like? Indistinguishable from original paint? How much cost (good to know that you were able to claim insurance) and how much time it took?

Can you please also explain how Shetty managed to get through inner shell and hammer out outer shell?
Old 5th February 2012, 01:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that a month has passed, how's repaint looking like? Indistinguishable from original paint? How much cost (good to know that you were able to claim insurance) and how much time it took?

Can you please also explain how Shetty managed to get through inner shell and hammer out outer shell?
There is no need to get through the inner shell and hammer it out. Cutting open body panels, denting and welding back is an old technique.

As pointed out by LukeSkyWalker, the technique used now is an electric puller. A number of spot welds are done at various points and sheet metal pulled out to get as close to the original shape as possible. This machine has different attachments, even a stapler kind of attachment that gives the factory type punch sealing for body panels. The final smoothening can only be done by putty, but I guess this method is far less intrusive than cutting and welding, which also requires putty at some stage.

Nowadays, all good body shops use this method to repair parts like running boards, wheel arches etc. where you cannot hammer from inside. In my experience the finish has been excellent.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:37   #45
BHPian

if insurance permits pls replace the panels. otherwise you take a big hit when you go for resale. happened to me in my last car. was hit by a bus from rear left side. listened to the advice of the mechanic and got it redented and painted. during resale the car evaluator easily found it out. And had to take a hit of 12000/- when calculating the value. always advisable to get the panel replaced.

Most Viewed