Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?

My figo recently got rear ended by an ST bus while waiting at the signal. While I excuse you with the general details on what happened as I came out safe from the incident, I require your help on getting the car repaired. But before that have a look at the damage:
Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-21122011005.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-22122011006.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-22122011007.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-22122011008.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-22122011009.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-22122011010.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-22122011011.jpg

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-22122011012.jpg

I have consulted a few recommended local garages by TBHPIans and the best quote I got is for 3.5 K by shetty garage where I was also advised to opt for insurance as 3.5K is what I gain and it does not matter if I pay it upfront or later.

Now the fix is that, the guy at the FASS is very reluctant on getting it repaired. He strongly proposing to get the part replaced and hence the thread.

I am not too sure if I should go ahead with local garage and get the denting done, the pros and cons being:

Pros:

1) Low cost, since there are no replacements involved I get 100% labour and the guy promised to claim the compulsory deductible too from the labor so absolutely nil from pocket.

2) Low turn around time. This guy promises to give the car back in 3 days flat!

3) No part changed except for a small access hole to be cut to get the denting done.

Cons:

1) Not too sure if he would be able to get the contours back.

2) If he does and if it is by using the filler material(?) would it last or would it start showing signs of peeling off in some time?

3) Would banging the car with hammer damage anything inside? My car being notorious for squeaks and all that, I am apprehensive if all that banging would bring back those squeaks.

Or should I listen to the FASS and go ahead with the replacement?

Pros:

1) FASS job and I know the SC guy very well, if they do anything wrong, I can get them to be corrected with in a day.

2) No tension of contours as the whole panel would be replaced.

Cons:

1) high cost. I may have to pay at least 2K from my pocket and would lose another 3k on NCB.

2) I am not too sure cutting a part and welding it back would effect structural integrity. But the SC says in fact cutting a hole in the hind sheet would effect the integrity more than cutting the exterior and welding it back.

3) High turn around time as the service center takes at least 7 days for the whole process.

I am more inclined to go with the local garage unless denting is going to effect the strength of the body.

Last edited by anilisanil : 22nd December 2011 at 16:45.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am more inclined to go with the local garage unless denting is going to effect the strength of the body...
Please trust local garages, they are also competent mechanics. I feel they can do decent job of denting and would not be problem later on. I also advised one of my friend to go local garage in place of MASS for his Alto which was hit by some novice driver at a mall.

With end result he was more than happy and he spent only 40% what MASS quoted for repair.

Please see below thread for more detail about this incident. You can find end result as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ping-mall.html

Last edited by anujmishra : 22nd December 2011 at 17:14.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:10   #3
BHPian

@anilisanil -suggest you goto FASS. Claim for insurance. If FASS says you will have to shell out 2k from your pocket, it might be lesser than that. They always quote an amount more than the actual. Like what you said, there are many advantages than the cons. The biggest advantage will be peace of mind since your car will be in good hands
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Please trust local garages,
I do trust them, but my problem is with denting itself. Since in any case insurance would be paying my damages, I am trying to understand if denting has any impact on structural integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
@anilisanil -suggest you goto FASS.
Again, my problem is not FASS or local garage. I am going to local garage because FASS refused to repair it. I am apprehensive about replacement because it involves cutting of the frame and welding it back which is my biggest issue.

So it is more between denting and replacement than FASS and local garage. If FASS were to agree for denting I wouldn't even have thought about this. I wonder why they are reluctant to repair.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:56   #5
BHPian

I would say do the denting and not the cutting and welding of part , if welding not done right then big problems .
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:03   #6
BHPian

Anil - we spoke at length and call me biased towards local garages ; BUT - the infrastructure, how long that place has been in business are good indicators of the work that would be done.

I went to Shetty's on a friends recommendation and I was not disappointed. My Xylo had a front accident which pushed the bull bar back causing the front left wheel panel to balloon outwards. No parts were changed and the shape was back to original.

M&M was charging me more than 5K for this and I got it done under 3K.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:08   #7
BHPian

Modern alloys get "work hardened" and lose their strength if repaired by denting. A full quarter panel replacement, followed by proper corrosion protection and finishing is the best way.
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:57   #8
BHPian

I hope you get the priorities right. First of all do not allow anyone to heat any part of the load bearing part of the body by any method other than by electric spot welding and not arc welding. I do not expect you to find electric spot welding outside of the factory. A little bit of homework by you is required. Find out from the factory manual which part forms a structural load bearing part of the body by which I mean whether it is the inner shell or the outer skin. With monocoque construction I am not too sure whether its the outside or the inside.

Once that is cleared go with a process that which will only mildly hammer the load bearing part into place without it having to be cut or heated for welding. If the shell is not load bearing by all means cut, weld and paste or both to your hearts content.

Also please note that all workers get a bit lazy in the fag end of the year with the festive season and all. I suggest you approach them for repairs only next year. For the time being you can suck that area out a little bit with an industrial suction unit.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since it involves some complex metal surface (especially the bulge above the rear wheel) I suspect if the local garage guys can do a decent job with tinkering. It can never match the finish you get from the original press-work. In the process of tinkering the guys can also damage the other side (inner) of the metal, and lot of plastic trims around that. Add to that, you have the worry of sheet metal rusting, paint developing blisters after some time.
I suggest t go with replacement even if it costs more.
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:59   #10
BHPian

According top me the side should not cost you more than 5K (Full Price). As this is metal and hoping that you have First Party Insurance then you will have to pay only 10% of the total cost that is 500 + Insurance claim Processing Fee (another 500).

So in a total of just 1000 buck you will get this side as good as new.

I think you should get the part replaced.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:10   #11
BHPian

Anil,

I have seen similar job done on my friend,s Swift. It was done by Sai service by cutting and welding process, the result was good. So I guess, FASS would do a similar or better job, so no harm in going for that. To me reaching the part seems to be too costly an option.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
My figo recently got rear ended by an ST bus while waiting at the signal. While I excuse you with the general details on what happened as I came out safe from the incident, I require your help on getting the car repaired. But before that have a look at the damage:

I am more inclined to go with the local garage unless denting is going to effect the strength of the body.
OMG Anil ,your that beauty got damaged by one of those idiot ST drivers.
I had seen that car during our Lavasa meet and you are having same car photo on your handle name.
Actually I am always scared of these illiterate ST drivers even in Mumbai,as they drive in same manner as they drive on highways.
Please get it repaired by paying it from your own pocket, if it is just 3 to 4 k.and do not disturb the NCB of the insurance policy.

Note from Team-Bhp Support: Please avoid quoting large posts in their entirety, unless you are replying to each point of the post. It also inconveniences our readers using mobile devices.

Last edited by Amartya : 23rd December 2011 at 05:22. Reason: Reason left inline. Please avoid quoting entire posts,unless absolutely necessary.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

anil, have you made any other claims this year?

If no, note that you will loose you No Claim Bonus. So add that to your cost.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

How old is your car? Why I ask this is to know the NCB your policy is carrying. If it is the first year, you can get it done through FASS and go for a cashless deal as you would lose only a minimal NCB at the time of next renewal. But if your car has a NCB carried forward from an earlier car, then for this minor(comparatively) job don't lodge the claim. You may lose much by way of NCB (Which can be even 65%) Then, get the job done through the local guy and pay from your pocket. 3.5K is acceptable figure. Further you don't have to spend on buying lights, glasses etc and is not going to have any effect on stability and all. A skilled technician may do a real good job.
The tin-work is the only one that is damaged and see the bumper has not lost shape. So this is only a maximum of three days job at the local joe.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd December 2011 at 23:25.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:16   #15
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2011 at 13:34.
90BHP is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks