BHPian

Re: #11 High-beam payback mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
#11 High-beam payback mirrors
Agree with you on this one!
How about these features:
Parking Guide
Sensor mounted on the car to get a 3D image of the parking space and an algorithm which tells you the correct path to follow for the perfect parking.

GPS with Parking slot info
A navigator which also includes parking information. This is something which could stretch one's lifetime (not in the literal sense)
Old 29th December 2011, 00:09   #32
BHPian

Good ideas. But you neglected the interiors a bit.
How about;
1. Fire proof, dust proof and water proof seats, probably using a silicon sealant as an option atleast.
2. Strategically placed washers in hard to reach areas like the underbody, around the tyres, engine bay etc for better cleaning. Fill a container, flick a switch and Voila! We could use the engine to draw power.
3. A search based radio. Ah! My dream. No need to carry any music, worry about the quality of the song, wires, USB's etc. Just stream high quality content of whatever you want to listen to be it songs, talk shows, comedy acts, book read outs and what not.
On a side note, I wish Apple could make it. The UI would be great and we could get Siri to do the hardwork

More to come.

Last edited by ra'ul M : 29th December 2011 at 00:10.
Old 29th December 2011, 00:27   #33
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ideas for the auto-industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
How about;
1. Fire proof, dust proof and water proof seats, probably using a silicon sealant as an option atleast.
2. Strategically placed washers in hard to reach areas like the underbody, around the tyres, engine bay etc for better cleaning. Fill a container, flick a switch and Voila! We could use the engine to draw power.
3. A search based radio. Ah! My dream. No need to carry any music, worry about the quality of the song, wires, USB's etc. Just stream high quality content of whatever you want to listen to be it songs, talk shows, comedy acts, book read outs and what not.
On a side note, I wish Apple could make it. The UI would be great and we could get Siri to do the hardwork

More to come.
ra'ul M, some good ideas there! Thanks for sharing.

Interesting that you mentioned Apple.
As you must be aware, Google has already made a breakthrough in cars that can drive themselves.
Old 29th December 2011, 09:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
As you must be aware, Google has already made a breakthrough in cars that can drive themselves.
I am aware of that. But with all due respect to Google, I would still like to drive the car myself, especially in India.
For me, either its automatic enough to enable me to sleep or I get complete control. Everything in between just does not cut it.
Old 29th December 2011, 09:49   #35
Team-BHP Support

It would be nice if our road cars have this:
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 13:48   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
All the nice to have features that you have listed would mean manufacturers have to put in the mechanism in place to deliver.
Interesting that you mentioned "nice to have". In my view, what constitutes "nice to have", "must have" and "should have", is a function of time. Watched one dicumentary which mentioned that the first Ford Model T did not have brakes! At that time, "brakes" must have figured in the "nice to have" list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
#22 Self adjusting rear view mirrors

All of us have seen how some rear view mirrors don't fold inline with the window frame. My idea is to do away with the protruding rear view mirror thing and use a panel on the window frame to automatically swing out when the car is in motion and to snap back in place - in line with the window frame so that the panel looks fused to the door itself.

This way aesthetics are great, and there won't be any protrusion at all.
Good idea from aesthetics perspective. Have seen cars with headlamps designed in the same way that you are proposing.

Quote:
Now this is something that is quite useful in the Indian context. I recollect watching a documentary on one of the science channels where something similar was showcased. A sheet of memory metal was bent out of shape. It was only required to get it to a specific temperature (easily demonstrated by throwing hot water on it) for it to regain the original shape. Imagine, a car wash using hot water which cleans and repairs!
I would love that kind of implementation. Just throw a couple of buckets of hot water on the car and its done!

Quote:
This would be the practical use to prove who was at fault. Combine this with a rolling loop of 15 minute video from the front of the car and it's a nice to have feature.
Fantastic suggestion of rolling loop of 15 minute video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I think this presents more of an engineering problem since ANHCs gearbox might not designed for taking Lineas engine> Wagon R's body and suspension might not be designed to take the vento Engine. I might have the cash for it but still lot of other considerations need to tally up.

But Would i like to have Cruze's powertrain on Linea ? Definitely
I believe its a standardization problem. If all major manufacturers come together and collaborate for standardization of interfaces, engineering can definitely solve the design aspect of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
But I think revenge should have no place on the road. Road rage should not be allowed.
I agree. The high-beam problem is a menace and needs some (other) creative solution.

Last edited by SDP : 29th December 2011 at 13:52.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. The high-beam problem is a menace and needs some (other) creative solution.
I think solution should be automatically dimming lights when a car/vehicle is detected in the opposite direction. I think it is already there in the market.

The idea would be to offer it as standard in all vehicles.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 07:40   #38
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
#2- That's one dream idea,but in the present world impossible.Maybe in the olden days one could do it atleast within a company stable.
Let the auto-industry get commoditized. Then margins would become wafer thin and the pressure to standardize would pick up pace just to keep the production costs low. Sooner or later, it will happen my friend!

Quote:
#6- Why can't they (companies) develop such an idea,except the hybrid one(expensive).
Precisely. The cars of today still seem to be designed for the scenario a few decades back when there were fewer cars around and you could actually 'drive' on roads (as compared to 'crawling' that we do today).

Quote:
#12-a wish of everyone irrespective. No one, i mean No one,whether a cab driver or a business magnet,a purist or a commuter would want their cars dented or scratched.
One of the BMW concept cars have a special cloth as skin!
Scratches, dents would either not appear at all or would be very easy to fix. Just imagine the convenience with washing, re-painting etc.

I would search it and put up a separate post as its is much more than just about using a cloth for the car's skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Agree with you on this one!
How about these features:
Parking Guide
Sensor mounted on the car to get a 3D image of the parking space and an algorithm which tells you the correct path to follow for the perfect parking.

GPS with Parking slot info
A navigator which also includes parking information. This is something which could stretch one's lifetime (not in the literal sense)
Deepak, thanks for the contribution. Good ideas! Especially loved the GPS with parking slot info idea. Extending it further, wouldn't it be nice if you can reserve a paid parking spot for yourself (for a fee), based on your estimated time of arrival at a busy place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
How about;
ra'ul M, thanks for the ideas. Liked them. Let them flow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It would be nice if our road cars have this:
Bose active suspension
vb-san, that's one beautiful implementation by Bose! Hats off to them. I am still in disbelief about the car jumping part in the last 10-15 seconds.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by SDP : 30th December 2011 at 07:46.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 10:16   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One of the BMW concept cars have a special cloth as skin!
Scratches, dents would either not appear at all or would be very easy to fix. Just imagine the convenience with washing, re-painting etc.
It’s known as the BMW GINA concept. Here is the relevant wiki link, and some pictures of it - clicked during the BMW World Exhibition, Singapore – Nov 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for the auto-industry-img_0852.jpg  

Ideas for the auto-industry-img_0853.jpg  

Ideas for the auto-industry-img_0855.jpg  

vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:19   #40
BHPian

#22. Rear Parking Sensors

All of us have this thing fitted on our bumpers. Some come installed or we install them. Instead of fitting 4 or 5 sensors on the bumper, why not use the bumper itself as a sensor ? (Immediate analogy to the MacPro/Mac Air Book) trackpad.

The Mac has a trackpad that doubles up as a mouse button as well. If we can replicate this for a computer, we can also do it here. This way there are also no protrusions etc. This can work wonders for different cars as different cars have bumpers of varying lengths.

Moving forward, you could also extend this sensor approach to the side skirts that run along the length of the car, instead of fixing sensors everywhere.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:15   #41
BHPian

A radar to see oncoming vehicles when taking a blind curve would be a great addition and maybe even an enhanced version which will allow us to know when to overtake
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
A radar to see oncoming vehicles when taking a blind curve would be a great addition and maybe even an enhanced version which will allow us to know when to overtake
Building up on your idea - The Highway Authority of India should install sensors at blind curves which would communicate with the sensors attached to the car to give information of the traffic movement on the blind side.
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:48   #43
BHPian

I am just going to think aloud. We all have issues with parallel parking in malls etc with our huge vehicles. Not sure how possible it is, but all the 4 wheels should turn and face sideways and then you could slowly slide into even the tightest parallel parking spot.
sammycoolster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:12   #44
BHPian

This is my suggestion for auto makers.

Whenever the engine is started without the driver wearing seat belts, the headlights should start flashing and horn should start blowing non stop.

This is the only way one can force people to wear seat belts.

I know people would have already come up with work arounds (putting the seatbelts buckled up through the back of the seat and all.

Well, then if some one is so determined to die on road, let us not stop him, for, there is one less so called "irresponsible driver" on the road.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
This is my suggestion for auto makers.

Whenever the engine is started without the driver wearing seat belts, the headlights should start flashing and horn should start blowing non stop.

This is the only way one can force people to wear seat belts.

I know people would have already come up with work arounds (putting the seatbelts buckled up through the back of the seat and all.

Well, then if some one is so determined to die on road, let us not stop him, for, there is one less so called "irresponsible driver" on the road.
On quite a few cars, there is a constant beeping if you do not put the seat belt on, even for the front passenger seat. Just make it louder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks