Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2006, 01:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sports steering

Hi All,

Wondering if any members are selling thier old sports steering. Im looking for a used item, in good condition and preferably one of the known brands Momo (race), sparco, nardi etc.

Its for my santro zipdrive, so would be nice if I got the hub adaptor as well.

Regards,
s0uljah.
Old 16th March 2006, 02:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude you can get good look alikes for 1500 to 2000 bucks in bangalore.. also they are such perfect copies you cannot tell the difference.. why dont you try those instead of buying second hand steering wheels..
Old 16th March 2006, 02:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, lookalike Momo/sparco steering wheels are all over Bangalore.

I've seen a lot of cheap 3-spoke wheels. I'm yet to see good quality look-alikes though.
Old 16th March 2006, 02:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

My first two friends from the Team-Bhp forums, who responded to many of my previous queries

My friend purchased a fake from Thailand, but was convinced it was original. I think he paid accordingly. I want a decent finish, doesnt have to be flashy and all, but comfy and last long. Anyone here using the knock-off products ?

I will look around, but I thought I would post here as well because I might find an honest joe selling thier goods!

Thanks
Old 16th March 2006, 18:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

just drove my friends honda with a sports teering wheel, and drove mine a short while after that, and all i can say is that you'll get sick of the small steering wheel in a few days, not at all practical.
you have to keep moving your palm to honk as most have the horn in the centre, and then you have to turn the wheel around much more than the stock wheel.

manson.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Manson, any idea what make it was?? Maybe it was a knockoff and therefore not designed very well.

Iv used a momo race steering (Zen)as well as Nardis(vtec). Really liked the feel of both.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
just drove my friends honda with a sports teering wheel, and drove mine a short while after that, and all i can say is that you'll get sick of the small steering wheel in a few days, not at all practical.
you have to keep moving your palm to honk as most have the horn in the centre, and then you have to turn the wheel around much more than the stock wheel.

manson.
hmm, i dont understand the part about having to turn the wheel more. Can you explain this manson? I do know that you'll have to put in more effort while turning the wheel (regardless of PS) but why would you have to turn it more degrees?
Old 17th March 2006, 00:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree.

I think since the steering wheel is the most important device to control the car ,we should NEVER compromise on it.

Its either a genuine momo/sparco or leave it stock.
Old 17th March 2006, 07:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
hmm, i dont understand the part about having to turn the wheel more. Can you explain this manson? I do know that you'll have to put in more effort while turning the wheel (regardless of PS) but why would you have to turn it more degrees?
smaller the wheel more the revolutions... basic physics....

to be honest i did want to get a sports wheel myself but decided against it..... reason? when i am cruising i have my right elbow resting on my door handle while i am gripping the wheel.... very comfy during long drives....

smaller wheel and i have to hold it till my arms ache.... not very practical for daily use/long drives.... my reasons may sound odd but try it and you will know only then.... yeah the other reason is the horn button is in the center.... unless u can find a wheel like i saw.... it had 2 buttons on the sides like the nos trigger buttons which can be routed to the horns....

all the bestwith ur decision.... IMO not practical for daily drive....
Old 17th March 2006, 11:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Manson, any idea what make it was?? Maybe it was a knockoff and therefore not designed very well.

Iv used a momo race steering (Zen)as well as Nardis(vtec). Really liked the feel of both.
the wheel i'm certain must have one of the best there is, as the car belonged to the suraj motors guy who stocks this stuff for the accessory market.

@deeps: simple stuff man, wouldn't a kid's biscycle's wheels need more revolutions as compared to a much bigger one to cover the same distance.

manson.
Old 17th March 2006, 16:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

This thread is renamed and moved to Technical Stuff because that is what is happening in this thread. Please don't hijack a sell/buy thread into a discussion.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th March 2006 at 16:51.
Old 17th March 2006, 17:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

A bit unfair to Souljah, don't you think Samurai? After all, he DOES want a steering wheel!
Old 17th March 2006, 18:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

No worries !! After all Manson is only giving constructive criticism and so are the others.

Still undecided. And there's also that thing called money. I saw a nice Nardis for 6k... way above my budget. Might not need to post a new thread in the market place after all Heheh.
Old 17th March 2006, 22:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

err..just wanted to clear up the steering wheel part; NO, you don't have to turn the steering wheel more- only more effort is required. that's because the steering wheel rotates the steering shaft, and ONLY the number of turns of the shaft counts; therefore, fitting a smaller steering wheel actually amplifies your inputs, and you have to turn a smaller dia wheel to obtain the same turning angle. a simple example might be the go kart- imagine a kart with a small steering wheel and a large one; the turning angle remains the same- only the radius and turning distance of the wheels change (if, say, the OHC turns lock to lock with 2.7 turns of the stock steering wheel, it'll remain 2.7 turns even with the momo wheel....).

s0uljah- fit one only if the santro is your second/optional ride. fitting one on your daily drive could get tiring; although it feels great in the city, trust me, you might not feel the same on the highway...
Old 17th March 2006, 23:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
err..just wanted to clear up the steering wheel part; NO, you don't have to turn the steering wheel more- only more effort is required. that's because the steering wheel rotates the steering shaft, and ONLY the number of turns of the shaft counts; therefore, fitting a smaller steering wheel actually amplifies your inputs, and you have to turn a smaller dia wheel to obtain the same turning angle. a simple example might be the go kart- imagine a kart with a small steering wheel and a large one; the turning angle remains the same- only the radius and turning distance of the wheels change (if, say, the OHC turns lock to lock with 2.7 turns of the stock steering wheel, it'll remain 2.7 turns even with the momo wheel....).
Exactly what i had in mind but wasn't entirely sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

Most Viewed