Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 01:08   #1
BHPian

Spark accelerator pedal acting odd

I am new to driving and have had a Chevy Spark for a month now. Initially when I pressed the accelerator pedal the car lunged forward in fits and starts. Now even after coming to terms with it and managing it better, it still tends to act that way.
What's more worrying is that from time to time while driving the pedal comes up a bit as if it was stuck somewhere.
Also if I release the pedal the car immediately slows down.
Is this normal? Please suggest what I should do?
Old 5th June 2009, 12:24   #2
BHPian

This surely is not normal. Maybe the accelerator mechanism is sticking somewhere. Get it checked at the service station soon. It might cause you to bump accidentally into something or someone.
Old 5th June 2009, 12:41   #3
BHPian

In lower gears, the car will slow down quickly once you release the pedal. Engine braking, it is called. Are you riding the clutch? Are you driving in too low a gear? Try this once, shift up to second as soon as you start moving, and then up again at 2000 rpm. Use clutch only to change gears. Is it still jerky?
Old 8th June 2009, 23:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
In lower gears, the car will slow down quickly once you release the pedal. Engine braking, it is called. Are you riding the clutch? Are you driving in too low a gear? Try this once, shift up to second as soon as you start moving, and then up again at 2000 rpm. Use clutch only to change gears. Is it still jerky?
Thanks Anurag.
I have tried to not 'ride the clutch'. And i am trying to shift to 2nd gear by revving up from 1st gear quickly and touching 20kmph.

Another basic question, even if it appears naive:
Whenever i approach stalled traffic at a red signal or prepare to stop, I press the clutch to prepare for braking, and the car actually gathers speed slightly and moves faster than it was so far. What's happening here?
Old 9th June 2009, 09:04   #5
BHPian

Here is what is happening - When you release the accelerator, engine braking comes into play and the car decelerates. When you press the clutch, you take 'away' the engine braking effect and the car is rolling freely. Hence it seems to have 'gathered speed'.

Remember to always try and use engine braking as much as possible. Never press the clutch until you feel that the car may stall. You should not have any problem even until you are down to as low as 10 kmph with engine braking. This has three advantages:

1. Increases fuel efficiency (all new cars with electronic fuel injection cut-off the fuel supply to the engine until you press the clutch)
2. Increases the life of your brake pads.
3. Keeps the car in better control.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
What's more worrying is that from time to time while driving the pedal comes up a bit as if it was stuck somewhere.
Did you check the carpet? yes, the carpet you have put beneath. Beleive me, if this is not put properly, then it does comes to hinder between the levers. Just make sure the carpet is not touching the pedal levers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
Also if I release the pedal the car immediately slows down.
Is this normal? Please suggest what I should do?
Reducing speed is normal. but is it with a jerk?
Old 9th June 2009, 10:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Whenever i approach stalled traffic at a red signal or prepare to stop, I press the clutch to prepare for braking, and the car actually gathers speed slightly and moves faster than it was so far. What's happening here?
Never do that, curios. Use clutch only to change gears. Pressing the clutch before braking is not good for the car, and can be downright dangerous in some situations, as very well explained by the_massssk. Relax, this will become second nature for you soon to brake first, and clutch only when downshifting is required.

BTW, unless you want to revv the engine hard, don't bother to take it to 20kmph in the first. As soon as you start rolling, put it in second and revv away. Try it and find out the approach that suits you best. That is what it is all about, the driver being comfortable and relaxed. Spark is a nice little car, have fun with it
Old 10th June 2009, 00:17   #8
BHPian

Thank you all for the tips
By the way, it was my driving school instructor who specifically instructed me to press the clutch before braking.

But will go with what maassk, mjothi and anurag have suggested and see how it works out.

Today was my first black scar on the front bumper courtesy a motorcycle rider in front who suddenly chose to slow down for no rhyme or reason. Let me add that it's a cherry red Spark with body coloured bumpers. So as my friends and colleagues helpfully added, it was my real moment of initiation into car driving!
Old 10th June 2009, 09:17   #9
BHPian

Yeah curios! Initiated all right . The first scar is the worst! After that, you start getting used to it.

As for the driving school instructors - they tell you to press the clutch before braking because when you are learning, you are also learning to estimate the car's responses. And until you have learned them, you would end up stalling the car without 'generous' use of the clutch.
Old 7th July 2009, 16:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

One thing I've noticed about the Spark's accelerator. When one is cruising (any speed) and neither accelerating or decelerating, the pedal tends to flutter a bit. It's an odd feeling if one is not used to it. Feels like the pedal is alive! Is this just mine or is it common to all Sparks (or any other cars)?
In my experience the car tends to jerk in 1st gear, when I press the accelerator (car's already rolling, clutch not depressed) to gain a little speed or maintain speed. Happened in my old Wagon R too, but I don't know why. Any thoughts?
Old 7th July 2009, 16:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
One thing I've noticed about the Spark's accelerator. When one is cruising (any speed) and neither accelerating or decelerating, the pedal tends to flutter a bit. It's an odd feeling if one is not used to it. Feels like the pedal is alive! Is this just mine or is it common to all Sparks (or any other cars)?
In my experience the car tends to jerk in 1st gear, when I press the accelerator (car's already rolling, clutch not depressed) to gain a little speed or maintain speed. Happened in my old Wagon R too, but I don't know why. Any thoughts?
My brother has a spark & is of the first lot ( first in town ). Since then I tell everybody the same problem ( the pedal seems to vibrate ) nobody beleives it, Yes dear freind you are right, The Pedal in spark is alive.

Last edited by SAHIR.KITTUR : 7th July 2009 at 16:28. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 7th July 2009, 20:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
My brother has a spark & is of the first lot ( first in town ). Since then I tell everybody the same problem ( the pedal seems to vibrate ) nobody beleives it, Yes dear freind you are right, The Pedal in spark is alive.
I just happened to notice it last month while going over 80 km/hr in my Spark. Was planning to ask the service center folks to have a look at it in August when it is due for service. Is this the problem only for the first lot of sparks? ( I bought mine in August, 2007)

One other issue is that it is really difficult sometimes to put into reverse gear.
Anyone else is having the same issue?

IMHO This thread can be renamed to problems with Chevrolet Spark.

-- Wind
Old 8th July 2009, 10:46   #13
BHPian

Guys,
I know it is a naive question but what does 'riding the clutch' mean?.

Though I have been driving cars for the past 10 years, the first 6 years it had been automatics and it is only the last 3 - 4 years it is manual.

I use the clutch more than just to change the gears for instance in Hyderabad traffic at peak times you basically have to crawl and in those circumstances I use the clutch probably more than required for the fear of stalling the car. Otherwise in non-peak hours I use the clutch when I approach signals before I start breaking and stop the car.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post

One other issue is that it is really difficult sometimes to put into reverse gear.
Anyone else is having the same issue

-- Wind
At time s when your reverse does not engage or is noisy Try this engage 1st gear just realese the clutch half way without moving the car and then engage reverse !! mind you whenevr your car need s to be engaged in reverse it should come to a complete halt DEAD STOP . This shall surely help you
regards
SaaJaN
Old 11th July 2009, 11:38   #15
BHPian

I have a spark since the last six months, prior to which I had a Indica DLS. The things I do/ observed in the car is:-

1. 1st and 2nd gears are quite short- maybe tuned for city drive- so the trick is to upshift to 2nd as soon as the car moves from standstill. Don't wait to reach till 20 km/hr.
2. 1st and 2nd gears acceleration from low rpm's is jerky when clutch is not engaged.
3. Tip is to match the engine rpm's with the respective gear with half- clutch and releasing the clutch slowly. I try to match ~2000- 2500 rpm with the respective gear.

4. I have left- side steering pull problem since I have bought the vehicle- which the dealerships couldn't sort out as yet. They blamed the tyres after checking alignment and balancing several times. Finally got a tyre report from Apollo 10 days back and have appoached GM with it.

Trrk has posted the RPM's of spark at various gears somewhere on this forum, i'll post it again for the benefit of spark owners.

gear rpm kph

2 1000 11.84
2 2000 23.69
2 3000 35.53
2 4000 47.38
2 5000 59.22
2 5500 65.14
3 1000 18.04
3 2000 36.09
3 3000 54.13
3 4000 72.17
3 5000 90.22