Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 22:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys.. I had a problem with my Zen, where by some freak accident a stone apparently hit my fuel tank causing my fuel pump to jam and short. For my bad luck, the short signal has gone all the way to my ecu. I gave my car to mass and they have changed my fuel pump and tank. Now, since the fuel pump part of my ecu is gone, they have given a direct connection of the new fuel pump to the relay, which they say is controlled by the ecu. They say I should not face any problems, but if I want a complete solution I have to change the ecu.

The thing is.. When I turn on the ignition and not start the car, the fuel pump continuously runs ( I can hear it), whereas earlier it used to run for about 4-5 seconds and turn off.

So guys, is it okay to run the car like this with my fuel pump continuously ON ? I'm thinking of sourcing a second hand ECU for about 4-5k and changing my ecu.

Please advice, as I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a failed fuel pump.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 30th December 2011 at 22:13.
Old 30th December 2011, 22:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Zen Fuel pump short - damaged ECU

My vote would be to change your ECU, the pump would burn out. 5K but peace of mind restored. Or you could get a switch. It would be a hassle though
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 23:41   #3
BANNED

The fuel pumps runs only when you are in ignition mode or when car's engine is running .
I cannot think why you would stay / keep the car in Ignition for more than few second s?

You either keep the key turned to accessory position for radio etc or start the car .
I suggest donot put your money in it is working fine and will not cause any issues to you .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 00:06   #4
BHPian

Locate an expert who services ECU's. Your Zen's ECU should be repairable.

It will be cheaper and more reliable than a second hand ECU.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 02:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

It won't create any issues. Been running it like that on my own car for quite a while. Just make sure not to leave the ignition on for very long (5 mins plus) unless the car is actually running.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 08:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
The fuel pumps runs only when you are in ignition mode or when car's engine is running .
I cannot think why you would stay / keep the car in Ignition for more than few second s?

You either keep the key turned to accessory position for radio etc or start the car .
I suggest donot put your money in it is working fine and will not cause any issues to you .
I did this only to check if the pump cuts off after an interval. If I understand correctly, even if the fuel pump stays on all the time, the unused fuel returns to the tank (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Locate an expert who services ECU's. Your Zen's ECU should be repairable.

It will be cheaper and more reliable than a second hand ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
It won't create any issues. Been running it like that on my own car for quite a while. Just make sure not to leave the ignition on for very long (5 mins plus) unless the car is actually running.
I was getting mixed views from MASS, where some of them were saying no problem and some were like your pump will have extra load, so there is a possibility of it failing again.

Anybody has contacts of somebody who repairs ECU's in Pune ? I know the guys in Bangalore, but if someone's here in Pune, it would be so much easier.
Old 31st December 2011, 13:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really a freak incident!
I was not aware that the ECU has such isolated circuits wherein only some of them can be shorted while others continue to work!
New day new learning...

How much does an original ecu cost?
In any case, I would recommend finding out if really only the fuel pump functionality is affected or something else as well. If they could pin-point the problem to fuel pump control section, I think they are really capable people. Why not pursue them to fix it?

I will stay tuned to this thread...
Old 31st December 2011, 17:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you in Mumbai - call nandu on 9322236336 and get him check out the ECU. Maybe something can be done.
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 17:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This is really a freak incident!
I was not aware that the ECU has such isolated circuits wherein only some of them can be shorted while others continue to work!
New day new learning...

How much does an original ecu cost?
In any case, I would recommend finding out if really only the fuel pump functionality is affected or something else as well. If they could pin-point the problem to fuel pump control section, I think they are really capable people. Why not pursue them to fix it?

I will stay tuned to this thread...
Freak Indeed. How the stone reached my fuel tank without hitting anything else is the biggest mystery, and that I didn't hear it is all the more puzzling.

A new original ECU costs about 17k. The rest of my ECU is working, which is how my car runs perfectly fine now, with the pump connected directly to the relay.

Attaching a pic of my damaged fuel tank.
Zen Fuel pump short - damaged ECU-20111231-13.15.48.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks