Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2011, 17:50   #1
BHPian

Swift VDI clutch problem

While I always have kept my car in utmost good condition and even changing engine oil every 5k along with oil filter and air filter, little did I know that this time when I was planning to travel from Delhi to Bikaner and back, I would be confronted with such a problem.

On 21st Dec I left from Delhi for Bikaner and while driving realised that when pushing hard suddenly on gas pedal I saw my engine RPMs first to quickly rise but then to dip by 1000 RPM for about 2 secs and then gradually reach up the normal RPM. At first I thought that this could be due to some turbo leakage or fault with Turbo and had thought would get this checked with MASS when I am back in Delhi.

I did around 600 Kms in 8 days with no issues whatsoever. However strangely the day I was driving back to Delhi near Sikar my gear got jammed completely and would not engage even when the clutch pedal was completely depressed. This happened 15 Kms away from Sikar City at 12:30 pm. I checked if the clutch wire had given way by turning off the engine and then tried to engage the gear after pressing clutch pedal and it was working fine. I got really worried with the thought that if clutch has got the problem then it will take easily four hours to repair it provided I can find a service shop to have this done. The time was a worry for me because I was with my wife and 15 months old daughter.

I stopped my car on the road side and inquired from a local on any service shop near by , he mentioned that I need to drive back to the City centre to find one. Since car was not allowing me to put any gear with engine on I switched off the car, put the first gear by pressing clutch and the starting the engine. Car did move with a jerk and I the shifted to higher gears as car got in motion. Somehow I managed to reach the authorized service station after asking locals for the way and managed to keep engine from stalling and stopping in the middle of highway.

Reaching Authorized service station did give some relief as the car would be in safe hands. Explained the issue to the technician and he said he needs to check the clutch assembly and also ensured that all the relevant parts were available with them. The time was 1:00 pm and was lunch time for the technicians so work would start only by 2:00 pm, since I had no choice gave a go ahead to start the work.

When they started the work on car it was 2:40 pm by my watch. They found out that clutch bearing was damaged along with damaged pressure plates and damaged clutch disc plate. After replacing the parts the car was finally handed over to me by 5:30 pm.

Parts changed were:

Clutch cover assy. Rs 1092.17
Clutch Disc Comp. Rs 1593.04
Clutch release bearing. Rs 3137.00
Gear oil. Rs 567.89
Labour charges. Rs 800.00

Total billed amount including taxes was Rs 7755.00

I then drove to Delhi at 6:00 pm covering 320 Kms in a single stretch to reach home(Dwarka) by 11:30 pm.

So just want to advise my fellow BHPians who drive turbocharged diesel cars/suv, if they see a dip in RPM when they suddenly have to floor the gas pedal then do get it checked immediately at the nearest service station.

P.S: One more important lesson I learnt was that since my vehicle was Maruti it was easier to find a service station else would be in trouble for a longer duration.
saurabhdadhichi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 17:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift VDI clutch problem

Exactly what happened to me at 55,000 kms. How much has your car done ?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...h-shudder.html (Swift D-Clutch/Gear Problem : Competent Motors unable to solve the clutch shudder)
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 17:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Nearly same Kms mine had done 56613 Kms when the service guys took it for repair.
Old 31st December 2011, 18:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Did you not claim extended warranty ? I guess you were not in the situation, even if you had cover.

Anyways, the good news is that the replacement clutch assembly is still going strong at 1,20,000 kms, touchwood

Btw, where in Dwarka ? I am in sector 3
Old 31st December 2011, 18:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Did you not claim extended warranty ? I guess you were not in the situation, even if you had cover.

Anyways, the good news is that the replacement clutch assembly is still going strong at 1,20,000 kms, touchwood

Btw, where in Dwarka ? I am in sector 3
Hey that's good news. I was infact trying to do team bhp website search when I was in that mess but could not find your thread, else would have also asked them to check the flywheel as well.
Initially when I was driving back after getting the clutch assy changed, also felt the gears were still notchy but now putting gears is smoother. Touchwood :-)

I don't have extended warranty and yes it would not have helped me in my situation. ;-)

I am putting up in Sector 9 DDA SFS flats. It would be good if we can catch up sometime.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:46   #6
BHPian

Update: after doing a run in of more than 1000 kms, there is no juddering when releasing clutch at low speed. Gear shift is smooth as butter with a definite improvement seen in acceleration.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:26   #7
BHPian

Update: post 4500 Kms run out of which I even drove down to Rajasthan ( 850kms), clutch is responding well along with gear engagement being super smooth. With new clutch assembly car has got a new lease of life so far so good :-)

Car recently completed 60000 Kms. Now looking forward to getting Cosworth ECU remapping.
Old 30th March 2012, 21:14   #8
BHPian

Yes on swift diesel it is observed that the clutch gives way around 50 to 60k. Most the time the car judders in 1st & reverse gear especially in load condition.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:46   #9

Hi,

I recently went on a short road trip of 500 Kms. On highways it was difficult for me to overtake. Somehow, managed the entire trip but it was quite frustrating.

After the trip, i went to the service station for inspection of the vehicle. They (Sai Service, Lower Parel, Mumbai) told that clutch needs to be replaced. I did have extended warranty but such parts were not covered under warranty as confirmed by Maruti Suzuki India Ltd personnel. I feel its a waste to opt for extended warranty.

Now they have given an approx quote of Rs. 8000. Can anybody share the cost if got it done recently?

Is there a mechanism through which i can ensure that they put genuine new parts?

Also, which all are the parts that i should ensure that it gets replaced?
Old 26th April 2012, 12:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrendray View Post
Hi,

I recently went on a short road trip of 500 Kms. On highways it was difficult for me to overtake. Somehow, managed the entire trip but it was quite frustrating.

After the trip, i went to the service station for inspection of the vehicle. They (Sai Service, Lower Parel, Mumbai) told that clutch needs to be replaced. I did have extended warranty but such parts were not covered under warranty as confirmed by Maruti Suzuki India Ltd personnel. I feel its a waste to opt for extended warranty.

Now they have given an approx quote of Rs. 8000. Can anybody share the cost if got it done recently?

Is there a mechanism through which i can ensure that they put genuine new parts?

Also, which all are the parts that i should ensure that it gets replaced?
Please go through this thread before clutch replacement

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 23:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrendray View Post
On highways it was difficult for me to overtake. Somehow, managed the entire trip but it was quite frustrating.
Hi, what was the exact problem? When pedal to metal, was the car revving higher than usual for the speed you were traveling?

Also, please post how many kilometers your car has done, and how old it is. Actually, I'd advise all questions in technical thread include this info.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 02:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi, what was the exact problem? When pedal to metal, was the car revving higher than usual for the speed you were traveling?

Also, please post how many kilometers your car has done, and how old it is. Actually, I'd advise all questions in technical thread include this info.
Hi,

I bought the car in the year 2008 (Aug). Initial 2.5 yrs, driving was usually on highways (90%). Later when i came to Mumbai, thanks to traffic snarls everywhere, i drove it for close to 2 yrs is when i experienced this problem. It has clocked over 42K kms till now.

Recently i went for an outing to Harihareshwar. We were 4 people in the car. Even with AC switched off, i could feel less power in overtaking other vehicle. At 1st and 2nd gear, the power was good.

I got the vehicle serviced at Sai Service (Lower Parel) and they have delivered the vehicle today after changing the following items wrt to clutch problem:

1. Cover Assembly
2. Disc clutch

The total cost of the above is approx 3000 and they have charged approx 2300 for the clutch work. Is the labor charge costly in Mumbai as compared to Delhi?

I also asked them why didnt they change flywheel and cylinder assy clutch slave on which they replied saying that its not required as it was perfect. I even insisted saying that if something goes wrong in future, i wont be paying labor charges again. But they seem to be quite confident of their suggestion.

Also, in Disc comp clutch carton, there are two levels. I wanted to know if the upper level is empty and lower level in the carton contains disc comp?
Old 29th April 2012, 16:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrendray
today after changing the following items wrt to clutch problem:

1. Cover Assembly
2. Disc clutch

The total cost of the above is approx 3000 and they have charged approx 2300 for the clutch work. Is the labor charge costly in Mumbai as compared to Delhi?

I also asked them why didnt they change flywheel and cylinder assy clutch slave on which they replied saying that its not required as it was perfect. I even insisted saying that if something goes wrong in future, i wont be paying labor charges again. But they seem to be quite confident of their suggestion.

Also, in Disc comp clutch carton, there are two levels. I wanted to know if the upper level is empty and lower level in the carton contains disc comp?
The labour charge is a bit on the higher side. But then again, if the car sluggishness problem is solved then it's worth paying.

Normally flywheel don't get damaged easily, so either you could have been their with them when they were repairing it or now that they have repaired it you should trust them. :-)

By the way how is your car driving now? Is the engine responsiveness now better?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks