Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 20:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

suspensiom update at 106k km

Just finished 110k km service with odo reading of 106k km. Front suspension still holding good except for right front link arm which apparently fell off after I landed in a particularly deep and narrow pothole a few days back while returning from office in pitch darkness. The alloy wheel rim got bent at the lip though there was no air loss or wobbling.

Replaced the front right and left link kits (arm + rubber bushes) for 2200 plus labour. Would be cheaper outside but I didn't have spare time for another day, and didnt want to run around with the missing link arm which is foe stability in turns and at higher speeds.
Old 5th February 2013, 13:55   #17
BHPian

Re: Lancer Rear Suspension work @90k

Hi Lancer_Rit
That's an elaborate write up on shocks thanks.

I did change my suspension at 89k for my lancer slxi(2002) model, though the suspension is good now, but i feel it is too hard. I spoke to the mechanic at the SVR about the same, they claim that its perfect. I drive my fiesta as well but the suspension in fiesta is 100 times smoother than lancer, i understand that there is a generation gap b/w both the models, but i still feel it should have been better on my lancer after changing all the four stock shocks..

Especially the frontal shocks just gives loud thuds when ran over a hump and pit and its really not a healthy noise. I changed all my tires to brand new one's retained the stock size(R13-Yokohama).

Can you advice if its the way the suspension is on lancer ?? or is it something i need to consider checking.

I am also nearing 100k service point very shortly and advisor from SVR said i needs to change the CAM timing belt at this service and told it would be a major service which includes a change is all filters, oils etc.. is it so with your car as well? did you get all the above changed when you got your previous service done?

help!!
Old 8th February 2013, 10:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeymist View Post
Hi Lancer_Rit
That's an elaborate write up on shocks thanks.
Thanks mate.

Quote:
I did change my suspension at 89k for my lancer slxi(2002) model, though the suspension is good now, but i feel it is too hard. I spoke to the mechanic at the SVR about the same, they claim that its perfect. I drive my fiesta as well but the suspension in fiesta is 100 times smoother than lancer, i understand that there is a generation gap b/w both the models, but i still feel it should have been better on my lancer after changing all the four stock shocks..
Hmm, my front suspension does not feel hard but I should mention that when on 13" rims and stock mrf zv2ks, the front seemed to fall down hard from speed breakers unless I went really slow. After upgrading to 15" WHEELS and mxv8, that had improved markedly. Otherwise, the suspension was always smooth.
A few queries:
* do you have oil filled gabriels or gas charged KYBs in the front ?
* did you change the rubber bush kits ?
* how does the suspension compare to when your car was new wrt hardness , noise and comfort ?
* is the noise a metallic one ? Do you feel the suspension bottoms out ?
Quote:
I am also nearing 100k service point very shortly and advisor from SVR said i needs to change the CAM timing belt at this service and told it would be a major service which includes a change is all filters, oils etc.. is it so with your car as well? did you get all the above changed when you got your previous service done?

help!!
If you have not changed your engine's timing belt and pulley, then it's long overdue as your car is 10+ years old. Lancer engine is interference type, so timing belt failure damages the engine. I changed my car's belt at 8+ years and 82k. Usually, 40k, 80k, 120k are major services but it also depends on time intervals. Every 20k, all filters are changed with oils to go with it. Ask them for maintenance schedule sheet, and based on what you did on your last 20k services, you may fine tune.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 8th February 2013 at 11:00.
Old 11th February 2013, 09:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Thanks mate.

Hmm, my front suspension does not feel hard but I should mention that when on 13" rims and stock mrf zv2ks, the front seemed to fall down hard from speed breakers unless I went really slow. After upgrading to 15" WHEELS and mxv8, that had improved markedly. Otherwise, the suspension was always smooth.
A few queries:
* do you have oil filled gabriels or gas charged KYBs in the front ?
* did you change the rubber bush kits ?
* how does the suspension compare to when your car was new wrt hardness , noise and comfort ?
* is the noise a metallic one ? Do you feel the suspension bottoms out ?

If you have not changed your engine's timing belt and pulley, then it's long overdue as your car is 10+ years old. Lancer engine is interference type, so timing belt failure damages the engine. I changed my car's belt at 8+ years and 82k. Usually, 40k, 80k, 120k are major services but it also depends on time intervals. Every 20k, all filters are changed with oils to go with it. Ask them for maintenance schedule sheet, and based on what you did on your last 20k services, you may fine tune.

That's the main issue i am facing, the thudding sound when coming down is really sad :(.May be i have to live with it as i am using the same 13" yoko.

* I suppose i have the gas charged KYB at the front.
* They didn't change the ribber bushes as they were off the stock. Will get them replaced when i get it serviced this time.
* This is a pre-owned car that i took(bought, hoping to include some performance mods, pending, planning to make some mods mid this year) and it was on stock shocks. I got it changed when i took it and from that time the shocks are good but not smooth.
* No its not a metallic sound, its more of a thudding drop instead smooth drop when it lowering in a pit/hump. At lower speed it does feel smooth.

The previous owner got it changed around 45k i believe , so will get it changed this time for sure. I think this would be a major service according to SVR..So all filters, bets , oils & coolant will get a replacement. As mentioned planning to change the bushes as well.

I haven't changed the lower & upper arms when i got my shocks changed(Also due to unavailabity of spares at SVR) due to which i experiencing a Squeeky sounds at the rear end. SVR suggested to change them to avoid the sound but the mechanic there suggested that i continue for some more time and change as the arms were in good condition. Now i am planning to change them as well. Will definitely seek schedule sheet as suggested and see wht can be tweaked
Old 11th February 2013, 13:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

I did my 100K service at SVR about 1+ year back. This was the major one with timing belt replacement. The total bill was about 9k, IIRC.

The breakup was posted somewhere in this forum.

Edit: 100k service was done on 13 Jul 2011 and costed me Rs. 9438 at SVR. Breakup posted in Spare Parts Price List thread.

Last edited by coolclouds : 11th February 2013 at 13:22.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the main issue i am facing, the thudding sound when coming down is really sad :(.May be i have to live with it as i am using the same 13" yoko.
Well, to be honest, I don't remember if there used to be any loud thuds, just that the front used to fall down abruptly over speed breakers. The behavior over potholes was quite fine unless it was very deep... The suspension of the Lancer is one of the best, and the ride and handling was always good.

I suggest you driver a couple of other Lancers on stock 13" wheels, to compare with your car's behaviour.

Quote:
* I suppose i have the gas charged KYB at the front.
* They didn't change the ribber bushes as they were off the stock. Will get them replaced when i get it serviced this time.
Ok, next time at A.S.S., you can confirm with them about the front struts. Also, only change rubber bushes if they seem worn out since you don't have any metallic noise

Quote:
* No its not a metallic sound, its more of a thudding drop instead smooth drop when it lowering in a pit/hump. At lower speed it does feel smooth.
As I said, driver a couple of other Lancers to compare. The margin maybe reduced by going for a softer tyres on bigger rims - the sidewall is too high in 1715/80R13 - infact, no other car in India had a bigger sidewall ...

Quote:
The previous owner got it changed around 45k i believe , so will get it changed this time for sure.
You mean the timing belt was changed already ? Then you can wait for another 10-20k km ?

Quote:
I haven't changed the lower & upper arms when i got my shocks changed(Also due to unavailabity of spares at SVR) due to which i experiencing a Squeeky sounds at the rear end. SVR suggested to change them to avoid the sound but the mechanic there suggested that i continue for some more time and change as the arms were in good condition. Now i am planning to change them as well. Will definitely seek schedule sheet as suggested and see wht can be tweaked
Well, just so that you don't fix what doesn't need to be fixed and/or fix with unrealistic expectations, drive a couple of Lancers to compare...

Hope your Lancer is in fine fettle soon!

@coolclouds, it depends on what all is changed ? If suspension arms or bush kits etc are changed, the costs go up. Same with brake pads, brake rotors etc. SVR is more expensive than A.S.C., and HM has increased spare parts prices a lot over last year and a half.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 11th February 2013 at 15:11.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 00:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
....just that the front used to fall down abruptly over speed breakers.
@Smokeymist - The above behavour is perfectly normal for the Lancer and this "hardness" is what makes the suspension better suited for higher speeds / bad roads.

Quote:
I haven't changed the lower & upper arms when i got my shocks changed
There is no need to change the lower arms unless it got hit and are visibly damaged. For sweaking issues, just get all the bushes replaced especially those on the sway bars and links. Mitsubishi originally were better known for their trucks and other heavy vehicles (the TATAs of Japan). The Lancer inherits a lot of sturdyness from it's legacy vehicles. For eg. the lower arm of the Lancer is very strong. It is thicker than that of the Cedia!! Even the front frame is thicker than the Cedia.

I have driven a lot of other sedans and find their suspension are softer / better suited for lower speeds (city speeds) but anything above 60 on an uneven road, these cars make me sick. They always bottom out, more so with 2+ people onboard. Worst is AHNC and Verna. The Lancer's hard suspension blooms to it's full potential when you are doing 70+ on rough roads. The thud noise that you felt annoying at lower speeds becomes a non-issue. And the most surprising characteristic is the sustained stability at higher speeds, against all odds. I found similar characteristics on the Octavia and the Ford Ikon and they are my favourites too.
Chewbacca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
@Smokeymist - The above behavour is perfectly normal for the Lancer and this "hardness" is what makes the suspension better suited for higher speeds / bad roads.

There is no need to change the lower arms unless it got hit and are visibly damaged. For sweaking issues, just get all the bushes replaced especially those on the sway bars and links. Mitsubishi originally were better known for their trucks and other heavy vehicles (the TATAs of Japan). The Lancer inherits a lot of sturdyness from it's legacy vehicles. For eg. the lower arm of the Lancer is very strong. It is thicker than that of the Cedia!! Even the front frame is thicker than the Cedia.

I have driven a lot of other sedans and find their suspension are softer / better suited for lower speeds (city speeds) but anything above 60 on an uneven road, these cars make me sick. They always bottom out, more so with 2+ people onboard. Worst is AHNC and Verna. The Lancer's hard suspension blooms to it's full potential when you are doing 70+ on rough roads. The thud noise that you felt annoying at lower speeds becomes a non-issue. And the most surprising characteristic is the sustained stability at higher speeds, against all odds. I found similar characteristics on the Octavia and the Ford Ikon and they are my favourites too.
Thanks chewbecca,

Well i am realizing this fact as your saying. I now can recall that at higher speeds its much much stable and bump free than in the lower speeds.

There was no physical damage to the arms, that's the reason the mechanic suggested that they can used as is.As suggested shall change the bushes when i get my car serviced this time.

Keep Revving
Gokul
Old 18th February 2013, 12:16   #24
BHPian

@lancer_rit, True, i think i should drive couple of lancers to realize that my machine is just behaving apt .

As rightly pointed out by @chebecca is his post, i admit that at higher speeds its bump free and i dont feel the hardness, it just cruises unlike other car i own.

I am planning to leave my car for service in 1st week of march and hopefully i change my bushes this time to avoid any sounds causing from them.

Will keep you guys posted.

Keep Revving,
Gokul.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I did my 100K service at SVR about 1+ year back. This was the major one with timing belt replacement. The total bill was about 9k, IIRC.

The breakup was posted somewhere in this forum.

Edit: 100k service was done on 13 Jul 2011 and costed me Rs. 9438 at SVR. Breakup posted in Spare Parts Price List thread.
Thanks cool clouds.

That sounds pacifying for me. Since they told this is a major service i thought it would punch a big hole to my pocket but this seems reasonable considering mitsubishi's high spare costs.
Old 19th February 2013, 20:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

I completed a 1500+ km roundtrip from BLR to Hyderabad and back over the weekend. The car handled beautifully with the new Bridgestone MY02 tyres (and I guess helped also by the new front suspension link kit). Taking curves at high speeds, the car just stuck to tarmac and no drama. On the flip side, the MY02 seems to take longer to brake to a complete halt, but let's see how it behaves after another 1000km.

Quote:
@lancer_rit, True, i think i should drive couple of lancers to realize that my machine is just behaving apt .

As rightly pointed out by @chebecca is his post, i admit that at higher speeds its bump free and i dont feel the hardness, it just cruises unlike other car i own.
The issue is that the front suspension is stiff which coupled with the high sidewall in the 175/80R13 tyres causes a good amount of flex if driving over humps fast. Once I reduced the sidewalls with 195/60R15, the flex reduced, and the car can take humps at higher speeds without the 'crashing down to the road'.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Rear suspension was making clunking sounds at times when going over big humps. I guess the rubber bushes are close to end of life (they are still stock) - I took the car to nearby Bosch workshop since I wanted to do a trip to Ooty last week, got the suspension sprayed over, and tightened - one bolt was a bit loose.

For now, the suspension is back to its silent operation, and I did a ~910km roundtrip to Ooty and around, and enjoyed the drive thoroughly.

As my car completed 10years this month, I think I'll go in for front struts, and all bushes replacement
Old 25th April 2014, 14:47   #28

Re: Suspension work Alternatives

Lancer_rit,
I understand this is really dated post, that am replying to.
Trying my luck here ... would you by any chance have a copy of that Mitsubishi Mirage / Lancer manual that you have referred to in this post? (https://rs205tl3.rapidshare.com/#!download|205l32|54690495|PDFTown.com-Mirage99.zip|82019|R~0|0|0)

Thanks,
Kiran
Old 7th August 2014, 22:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suspension work Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsn View Post
Lancer_rit,
I understand this is really dated post, that am replying to.
Trying my luck here ... would you by any chance have a copy of that Mitsubishi Mirage / Lancer manual that you have referred to in this post? (https://rs205tl3.rapidshare.com/#!download|205l32|54690495|PDFTown.com-Mirage99.zip|82019|R~0|0|0)

Thanks,
Kiran
Yes :-) The manual is still available online though the location has shifted.
Please use this link
http://pdftown.com/1998-2003-mitsubi...ervice-manual/

My Lancer has done 121k+ km and now 11+ years :-) Still working ok, though ride is not as pliant, and some body roll. Haven't got around to changing the front struts and all the front and rear bushes - didn't manage to find time to go to Sai colorium which is really far from my place. Probably in the next month or two, I'll get this done.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 19:16   #30

lancer_rit, since you mentioned that you intend to get some of the mechanicals sorted out at Sai Colorium... just checking, do they work on the mechanicals too, alongwith paint jobs?

Off-topic: Maybe there should be a Mitsubishi Lancer Owners meetup in Bangalore. I really could do with a bit of information / experiences exchange.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks