Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 22:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Turbo noise in my 37k old Hyundai Verna! Advice requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Hi Guys,

I am running a Getz CRDi which has run about 41k . I too religiously warm up and idle for more than a minute every time befor start / Stop. The power even today is superb and very smooth and linear, but I am observing a lot of black smoke during heavy acceleration while overtaking in especially 3rd gear. Is this normal or there could be some problem ?

I am running with Mobil Delvac MX and K&N filter. Appreciate your inputs.

MJK.
Hi MJK,

How many kms have you done after cleaning the K&N filter ?
Old 1st February 2012, 22:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
@CRDIsamir: Yes there was unusually high black smoke emission. I couldn't see much difference in the acceleration yet, but the humming noise was definitely increasing day by day!
Hi Guys,

I am running a Getz CRDi which has run about 41k . I too religiously warm up and idle for more than a minute every time befor start / Stop. The power even today is superb and very smooth and linear, but I am observing a lot of black smoke during heavy acceleration while overtaking in especially 3rd gear. Is this normal or there could be some problem ?

I am running with Mobil Delvac MX and K&N filter. Appreciate your inputs.

MJK.

Hello

If the vehicle performance is ok try a simple thing. Scrape the tail peice of the exhaust pipe with a key. If you find black carbon particles coming out then try opening up the cylencer and clean all the mufflers along with the catalytic convertor. This will solve the problem.

41000kms running is too less for any major issues like turbo, Fuel Injectors, Pump or the engine itself.

Regards

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th February 2012 at 21:41. Reason: fixed quotes
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 22:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. It was very evident when we heard the noise under the hood that the source was turbo. The noise was present with and without AC.

Ultimately the turbo charger was replaced by Hyundai under warranty. I was not asked to pay a penny even for the labor. The new turbo charger comes with a 6 month warranty.

Mixed feelings that the turbo had to be replaced so early, but the whole process was very smooth and hassle free!

@CRDIsamir: Yes there was unusually high black smoke emission. I couldn't see much difference in the acceleration yet, but the humming noise was definitely increasing day by day!
What was the price of the turbo ?

Could you upload the bill ?

Why is the new turbo warranty only for 6 months ?

Let us suppose you had a warranty of 4yrs, and the turbo is replaced at 2 yrs, the new turbo should have warranty for the next 2 years right ?

Last edited by F150 : 1st February 2012 at 22:40.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hi MJK,

How many kms have you done after cleaning the K&N filter ?

I could have done probably about ~5k kms. Maybe its time I clean the filter & Check again ??
Old 1st February 2012, 22:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could have done probably about ~5k kms. Maybe its time I clean the filter & Check again ??
Yeah, clean and check. Most probably, the smoke will disappear.

My filter gets almost choked in 3k kms. I clean it every 2k kms.
Up north, the atmosphere is very dusty compared to Bangalore.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 23:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen

Interesting! Glad to hear about a hassle free warranty replacement, that too a part like turbocharger.
How many days did they take for the replacement ?
They took about 7 days to get the part. And then my car was in the service centre for about a day and a half.

Before that they had the car for a day to check if the turbo was indeed defective or things would improve after cleaning. But the turbo turned out to be defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

What was the price of the turbo ?

Could you upload the bill ?

Why is the new turbo warranty only for 6 months ?

Let us suppose you had a warranty of 4yrs, and the turbo is replaced at 2 yrs, the new turbo should have warranty for the next 2 years right ?
The turbo, as a part has a warranty of 6 months.

Since my extended warranty will last till 2012 December, it'll hold good till then.

The bill is still in my glove box, shall upload it soon. They've given an invoice of zero value which indicates the warranty of 6 months.
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They took about 7 days to get the part. And then my car was in the service centre for about a day and a half.

Before that they had the car for a day to check if the turbo was indeed defective or things would improve after cleaning. But the turbo turned out to be defective.

The turbo, as a part has a warranty of 6 months.

Since my extended warranty will last till 2012 December, it'll hold good till then.

The bill is still in my glove box, shall upload it soon. They've given an invoice of zero value which indicates the warranty of 6 months.
Well, my swift's rear hatch trim was replaced under warranty, the bill had the price Rs 498 some thing and final invoice value was zero, since it was under warranty.
Old 15th February 2012, 19:58   #23
BHPian

Hyundai Turbo problem in CRDi engine is a common problem in almost all the models i hope. Initially it was said to be specific with Accent CRDI, which i owned and disposed at 75000 Kms to buy a new Verna which was said to be free of Turbo trouble. But the accent CRDi was sold to a dealer and eventually it landed in my friends hand who took the odo to 1,40,000 kms then arised the Turbo problem and he got rid of the car. In the mean time my Verna Turbo went of at 80,000 Kms and 3 times changed under warranty but the service station weren't able to rectify the noise properly and hence i sold that car. My friend Verna CRDi also failed at 40,000 kms.

HYUNDAI TURBOS ARE AS PROBLEMATIC AS SKODA/VW's DSG FAILURES. BUT THE DIFFERENCE COMES IN TERMS OF WARRANTY HYUNDAI DOESN'T MAKE MUCH FUSS TO ACCEPT AND REPLACE THE PART FREE OF COST IF IT IS UNDER WARRANTY. EVEN I HEAR I20 DIESEL TURBO FAILURES NOWADAYS
Old 15th February 2012, 22:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh
Hyundai Turbo problem in CRDi engine is a common problem in almost all the models i hope. Initially it was said to be specific with Accent CRDI, which i owned and disposed at 75000 Kms to buy a new Verna which was said to be free of Turbo trouble. But the accent CRDi was sold to a dealer and eventually it landed in my friends hand who took the odo to 1,40,000 kms then arised the Turbo problem and he got rid of the car. In the mean time my Verna Turbo went of at 80,000 Kms and 3 times changed under warranty but the service station weren't able to rectify the noise properly and hence i sold that car. My friend Verna CRDi also failed at 40,000 kms.

HYUNDAI TURBOS ARE AS PROBLEMATIC AS SKODA/VW's DSG FAILURES. BUT THE DIFFERENCE COMES IN TERMS OF WARRANTY HYUNDAI DOESN'T MAKE MUCH FUSS TO ACCEPT AND REPLACE THE PART FREE OF COST IF IT IS UNDER WARRANTY. EVEN I HEAR I20 DIESEL TURBO FAILURES NOWADAYS
I completely agree with you. Just Google for Hyundai turbo issues and you'll see a lot of threads, discussions and even people who've gone to consumer court! The service advisors have been well trained to say "This is the first case of turbo failures we're seeing sir".

And yes, as you rightly said, this hasn't attracted much attention because of Hyundai's hassle free replacement.

Now I'm worried as my extended warranty is only till this December!
Old 20th October 2015, 14:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post

My fluidic verna - 2011, got back from her check-up. I have done a little over 68000 on the ODO. The service advisor now says the turbo oil is leaking and that he has tried to seal-it with some kind of a glue. Then he said, if the leakage continues I would have to replace the turbo. I ensure atleast a minute's idling before moving the car out and then at least 2 minutes of idling before shutting her down. Would the ODO die out? Looking at this thread and googling i did see lot of threads on the Hyundai turbo problems. The service advisor then said that the turbo would cost close to 1.5 lakhs!! Is that true? I thought the turbo in these engines would last at least 1 lakh on the ODO.

Mods - if there is another thread where my query can be posted, please move it there. Posted here thinking this is the best place. I see that this thread is dormant for almost 3 years now.

Most Viewed