Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 10:42   #16
BHPian

Re: How much to bring this Mercedes W124 to shape?

I think there are just too many things to fix in this car. It can be done but the cost will be high if you look for original fittings. Unless you get it for a song or are a great DIY man with money to blow, passion and time for a full restoration work, it may be better to look around.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

This car is easily restorable ! Go over to the Vintage section and see how they bring back cars from literally a bucket of rusted parts.

Having said that, 2.5 is waayy too much for it.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 15:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv007 View Post
The door pads and the B pillar trim will alone cost you 1.6L. I got the quote from Mercedes Benz India. The dashboard will set you back by another 1L. Please stay away from this piece. I have two W124 s, a 1996 E250 and a 1989 300D.Both have been non problematic. I would advise you to get a 300D if you find one. The straight six is silky smooth. If you want only a petrol 124 PM me there is a top notch E220 with genuine 34K Km on the odo.
Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for that bit of info. Thats a lot of money for cosmetic parts.
I found a straight 6 300D Auto 1989 model going for a song. But two young boys were selling it and i thought there was something fishy about the "owner asking the boys to sell it"... so i walked away. I am regretting not getting into the paper work and doing some research on that car. Was in good shape too with all electrical bits working, including the sun roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It has been pathetically kept. A CNG / LPG converted Merc has to be owned by someone with a very low budget for maintenance. I would give this car a pass and not dwelve into estimating restoration costs. There might be a lot of things wrong with the car that cannot be seen.
After reading all this, i have given it a pass. Called up the owner and told him the restoration would cost me too much money and time. He sort of expected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
@stormsearcher

Nandishpal's comments are 100% true.

I got my W124 E250 Diesel after a wait of 2 years, a search spanning Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai and Chennai, and almost 12 test drives. You are welcome to have a look at my car to know what a well kept W124 means.
I would love to have a look at your car. Please let me know when and where. And also want to understand some of the nitty gritties of such a machine. I know the 123's are fairly simple cars, but i reckon the 124s are a bit more advanced.

Thanks guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks