Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 17:28   #31
BHPian

re: Common 'Features' in cars that we need to 'live with'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
1. Rear Wind Screen: Outer boundary of rear wind-screen is always painted black, so I don't get full visibility through the glass. Maruti 800 and Alto doesn't have this blackened edge, but this 'feature' is common among 'new generation' hatches.
I think this blackening of edges is done to cover the pasting area only, and though it seems to be a large area blackened from the outside, from the inside its barely visible. I guess it has got more to do with the thickened pillars, plastic upholstery covering the pillars (absent in m800, alto has only a-pillar covered) and the elimination of the rubber beading to hold glasses in place which is replaced by a wider pasting area. Most importantly, you would barely lose any viewing angle from these blackening contrary to what may appear to be the case from outside the vehicle. From the inside the blackened area is either way blocked by pillars and pillar trims.

Also, roof mounted A.C. Vents are only for SUVs/larger vehicles, which need separate vents for individual rows of seats. The dash vents offer plenty of room for adjustment to keep the gust of cool air away from your face, you can shut individual vents as well as direct air in different ways from the control knob and/or vent adjustment itself. Roof mounted vents in hatches & sedans are outright impractical.

I liked your idea of integrating the antenna with the wiper stalks - cool thinking if it can be made to work.

For the cabin light, yes, its better if its centrally located, but that said, it has to stay on the roof.

We have been robotized enough, i want complete control over my headlights if you please.

Last edited by mi2n : 12th January 2012 at 17:37.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
To me,the single most irritating common "feature" that I am forced to live with is this idiotic "beige" interior concept.

The same car sold abroad comes with lovely black leather upholstery and trim which I vastly prefer over beige, but here owing to this peculiar local fascination for blighted beige interiors, I have to live with this being the only option.
Indian cars give us a choice in external colors only, but I guess cars abroad have more options in internal trim levels.
I think it has more to do with the attitude of indian customers - many of us would cancel the booking if we don't get the (external) color of our choice, but are willing to compromise on internal color. We are more bothered about outsiders seeing an attractive color than our family seeing a pleasant interior.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 12th January 2012 at 17:42.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:12   #33
BHPian

Please see my thoughts in Bold
Quote:
3. A/C vents: Why can't the a/c vents be designed like cassette a/c on the center of the roof? It would ensure uniform cooling rather than directing cold air just to the face.

Two reasons.
One is Psychological. Our brain gets signals that say the temp is cooler than actually it is, if cold air is blown at the face.
2. Our head and face sweat more than the rest of our body.

5. Inside Rearview mirror: Why can't we have a long convex mirror rather than the plain mirror inside so that I'll get a wider view of the traffic behind?

That wont help, because it will only increase your view of what is inside the car behind you. The default IRVM is so designed to give a view that almost gives 100% of what's visible in your rear glass.

7. Antenna: Protruding antenna looks ugly. Why can't some other part serve as antenna? How about the wiper arm?

Just remove them if it's a screw type. Your radio should still work. In my car i've got it removed and FM radio works fine as before, even in the city outskirts.

Last edited by Daewood : 12th January 2012 at 18:16.
Old 13th January 2012, 13:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I think this blackening of edges is done to cover the pasting area only, and though it seems to be a large area blackened from the outside, from the inside its barely visible.
What I meant is that manufacturers are creating an illusion of large rear-windscreen from the outside, but the visible glass area is small from inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
We have been robotized enough, i want complete control over my headlights if you please.
I also didn't mean fully automated headlight dimmer - even cruise control has manual override when you press the brakes, right? Even when we have auto-dip, perhaps we can retain the 'pull for high beam' feature (the one that we use for signalling over-taking).
Old 13th January 2012, 16:56   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
For those who want footwell lighting, this is what my car looks like in the night. I got this done from a car acessories dealer for 1000 rupees. These are LED strips that illuminate the footwells. They look very bright but are subtle and sober.
Nice lights. I assume they light up only when doors are opened?
Old 13th January 2012, 17:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
5. Inside Rearview mirror: Why can't we have a long convex mirror rather than the plain mirror inside so that I'll get a wider view of the traffic behind?

That wont help, because it will only increase your view of what is inside the car behind you. The default IRVM is so designed to give a view that almost gives 100% of what's visible in your rear glass.
I was thinking of a mirror that 'shows' the rear passenger windows too (this would help avoiding blind spots)?

7. Antenna: Protruding antenna looks ugly. Why can't some other part serve as antenna? How about the wiper arm?

Just remove them if it's a screw type. Your radio should still work. In my car i've got it removed and FM radio works fine as before, even in the city outskirts.
Think of the era when all mobile phones had protruding antennas. Nowadays all phones have 'internal' antennas, which means it's really possible for cars too?
Old 13th January 2012, 17:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Think of the era when all mobile phones had protruding antennas. Nowadays all phones have 'internal' antennas, which means it's really possible for cars too?
Yes, when the FM radio of a 1500 rupee mobile can work with an internal antenna why can't the one in a 10 lakh rupee car be made 'hidden'?
Guess it's still there to add one more point to the 'features list'.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 17:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Would an internal antenna be free from interference of other electronic devices? For e.g. if the antenna were positioned inside and if the cellphone rang, would it interfere with the radio reception?
Old 13th January 2012, 18:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Would an internal antenna be free from interference of other electronic devices? For e.g. if the antenna were positioned inside and if the cellphone rang, would it interfere with the radio reception?
In that case, the internal antenna can be placed far away - for e.g inside the front grill?
Old 13th January 2012, 18:24   #40
BHPian

Of course its possible, its a question of cost. My car has the radio antenna built into the rear wind shield. (Will attempt to take a photograph). But my biggest problem is reception. Its quite **** really. In London I seem to pick up loads of pirate stations (which i think is due to the low level of signal received from main stream stations) and out of town I struggle to pick up certain station that others seem to have no problems with. My old Audi had a little sharks talk antenna and that give me no problems.
Old 13th January 2012, 18:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
To me,the single most irritating common "feature" that I am forced to live with is this idiotic "beige" interior concept.

The same car sold abroad comes with lovely black leather upholstery and trim which I vastly prefer over beige, but here owing to this peculiar local fascination for blighted beige interiors, I have to live with this being the only option.
Tell me about it. After every long trip, either I spend hours trying to clean the leathers and interiors or I end up blowing money at the carz spa.
Old 13th January 2012, 19:13   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I use these leather wipes which are something like those fresh ones facial tissues.
They work quite well if used once a week or so.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Tell me about it. After every long trip, either I spend hours trying to clean the leathers and interiors or I end up blowing money at the carz spa.
Old 14th January 2012, 12:48   #43
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
4. Rear Drum Brakes: Why can't we have rear disc brakes rather than drum brakes? Atleast as optional?
The rear disc vs drum, is not about "cost", it is about cost vs benefit.
If you see in India, cars D segment and above have all 4 wheel disc brakes (apart from few exceptions like fortuner).
The reason is below d segment that cars come with smaller engines and relatively less power - below 130PS mostly. For this king of power, drum brakes are enough and a disc brake do not give much benefits. So, plonking money on something that wont give substantial real world difference does not make sense.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 16:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

^^, Surprised to see folks not liking beige interior, i kindof love it .

Agreed its a pain to keep it clean, but a dashboard cleaner spray is good enough to keep it clean. It gives a sense of more space and more sober surroundings, which is pleasing to the eye. Any other color (with an exception of black) creates a pinching irritation feeling in the eye (Not sure if i was able to put it in words correctly).
Old 14th January 2012, 16:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Most cars in western world have all four disc brakes, drum brakes are old design and don't have sufficient bite. All disc brakes is much better for cars and all suv/muv. Do drive a all disc car and feel for yourself, the braking is so much more confidence inspiring.

For example a hatchback in US, costing ~15k USD has all four Discs please check in edmunds.com, do let me know if you cannot find it and i can forward you the link. Only very small hatches for <13K USD do not have Disc/Disc combination.
Actually whether the rear has drums or discs matters more on the weight of the vehicle than anything else. My little Brio is perfectly fine with drums at the rear while my Cedia and your Civic must have discs at the rear for effective braking. It all depends on design and how much the car is over engineered.

In fact the rear discs in almost all cars is a drum in disc type brake where there's still a drum brake along with the disc brake. The disc is used for normal braking while the drum comes into play when the hand brake is used.

Most Viewed