Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 11:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

I know of one road in dharamshala known as "Khada danda" (upright stick) cars use to stall while climbing up on that road (specifically during turns) and no heavy vehicles were allowed, till they made it one way, only decent.

It would be more or less 45 degree, as a calculated estimate, you can find such roads in shimla and other places too, narrow and steep incline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Which hills do you drive in my friend? 45 degree and more gradients??
When you are not reasonably sure of a figure, it is best to describe qualitatively rather than quantitatively.
Old 8th September 2007, 11:41   #62

I used the hand gear while parking only. Will start using during the traffic signals also (after reading the posts).

Another question. My car usually is in the parking for extended periods (3-4 days or even a week). After that why I drive, I heard squeeking sounds from the rear. is this because I use the hand brake during that time. I can use the gear only (the parkin is on a level ground). I was just goin by the book
Old 8th September 2007, 11:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Have you heard of counter-lock? If not here is the explanation: On a decline the vehicle is set to move forward and engaging a forward moving gera enhances the risk of a roll down. Vice-versa for an incline.
gd1418, Could you reveal where you got this definition of counter lock from. And the fact that engaging 1st gear on a 'decline' would ENHANCE the risk of a roll-down!

As for your wealth of information: "This has been the centuries old thumb-rule ever since something moving on 4 wheels was invented. Also on a decline or an incline you park very close to the kerb and turn the front wheels to the left & right respectively". Thanks, but I wish you coild impart such wisdom without being so condescending.
Old 8th September 2007, 12:54   #64
BHPian

I do not park the vehicle in gear unless there is a slope. 100% hand break engagement for parking.
Old 8th September 2007, 13:00   #65
BHPian

seems like im one of the very few who do not use the handbrake when car is stationary

i do use the handbrakes to make my U turns faster
Old 8th September 2007, 13:50   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Yes, I use the hand break everytime I park the car, first I pull the hand break and then put the car into second gear, have always wondered, what would happen if I park in a no-parking zone and my car is toed away, in that case, will the breaks go for a toss?
Hey, I wonder why you engage second gear when parked ???? You should technically have it in either the 1st or the Reverse gear -- hand brake or no hand brake !!

Cheers
Old 8th September 2007, 13:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I know of one road in dharamshala known as "Khada danda" (upright stick) cars use to stall while climbing up on that road (specifically during turns) and no heavy vehicles were allowed, till they made it one way, only decent.

It would be more or less 45 degree, as a calculated estimate, you can find such roads in shimla and other places too, narrow and steep incline.
dadu, it might interest you to know that a 1 in 3 gradient is used FOR TESTING cars, their hand-brake holding ability, etc.. NO PUBLIC ROAD is made to even a 1 in 3 gradient (ie. 30 degrees). All I suggested is an elegant way out when not sure of numbers - to be qualitative (eg. very steep) rather than quantitative (eg. 45 degrees or more). Why do you feel it your 'responsibility' to defend the 'indefensible'?
BTW, as an acute mountain lover I have driven extensively all over 'our' part of the Himalayas - Garhwal, Kumaon, Himachal (including Spiti & Lahaul), J&K (including Ladakh). I have yet to find a road that even approaches 30 degrees gradient. Yes, a few, very few, Hotel owners have made 'private drive-ways' that might come close to those kind of numbers, but even there no one has made a road at a 45 degree gradient (ie. a 1 in 2!!!).

Last edited by anupmathur : 8th September 2007 at 14:12.
Old 8th September 2007, 16:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Ok, ok, I concede that counterlock was used in a colloqial terminology. What I basically meant was you do opposite.

Now, no where was I condescending. When I learnt driving way back in 1973 and got my licence in '76, this is what I was taught by my instructor who happened to be a retired MV Inspector from the RTO. The same fact was corroborated by my father and uncle.

And for your reference -

[F] Stopping and Starting on incline and decline

(a)When an object is on incline ( surface going uphill) or on decline ( surface going downhill), earth’s gravity is getting applied on the object which would take the object downhill if proper care is not taken in keeping the object stationary. In case of nearly one ton of metal that a car represents, if a car is not stopped properly on an incline or decline, it will roll down, pick speed and hit things in the rear and sideways.The consequences would be too ghastly to imagine.Hence be very very careful when you have to stop on a road which is on a gradient.

(b) Stop the car on the gradient with the help of brake pedal and keep the brake pedal pressed. If you have to stop there for some time ( say you have to park there) then apply the hand brake ( i.e. pull the hand brake up). Stop the engine. If the car is on incline ( up gradient), move the gear to first . If it is on decline ( falling gradient), move the gear to the reverse position.

(c ) Starting when the car is on a decline . Start the car. Keep your left foot on the clutch and the right foot on the brake- both fully pressed.Shift the gear to first and release the clutch gradually. Release the brake pedal gradually. As the car moves, release the hand brake.

(d) Starting when the car is on an incline. Be very very careful here. Any mistake and the car will move in the reverse direction ( due to gradient)even when your gear is set for forward movement. Your left foot should press the clutch fully and your right foot should press the brake fully. Start the car, move the gear to first and release the clutch gradually to a stage where you could hear the engine vibrating. This position, called half clutch position by driving schools will ensure that the car does not roll back when the brake is released.Now release the brake pedal and press the accelerator. After your car starts moving up, release the hand brake.

You can read the entire article here - Review on General Tips on Safe Driving by squarecut - MouthShut.com

And no, the article or its author, both are not condescending..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
gd1418, Could you reveal where you got this definition of counter lock from. And the fact that engaging 1st gear on a 'decline' would ENHANCE the risk of a roll-down!

As for your wealth of information: "This has been the centuries old thumb-rule ever since something moving on 4 wheels was invented. Also on a decline or an incline you park very close to the kerb and turn the front wheels to the left & right respectively". Thanks, but I wish you coild impart such wisdom without being so condescending.
Old 8th September 2007, 17:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thanks dadu but my question remains unanswered. Please see your quote below, regarding ENHANCING the risk of a roll down.
You must admit you are being pretty callous with your choice of words, not forgetting the 'counter lock'.
Anyway, all is forgiven! You need not try to explain that 'enhance' bit - would be futile, as no such danger exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
On a decline the vehicle is set to move forward and engaging a forward moving gera enhances the risk of a roll down. Vice-versa for an incline.
Old 8th September 2007, 21:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
hey guys i use the hb everytime i stop the car or at signals my hand automatically reaches for the hand brake!
Same for me. Cant live without it..
Old 8th September 2007, 21:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what would happen if I park in a no-parking zone and my car is toed away, in that case, will the breaks go for a toss?
when a car is towed away, the cops usually disengage the handbrake by fiddling with the mechanism underneath the car(have seen them do this, but no personal experience).
In any case, if the car is towed away with handbrakes on, I think the tyres take a beating, not the brakes.
Old 9th September 2007, 10:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Can't say I've ever seen a car being 'dragged' with the wheels locked. They MUST be dis-engaging the hand brake.?
Old 9th September 2007, 13:33   #73
BHPian

I do use the handbrake both while the car is at a signal when its in a slope or a long wait signal as well as when the car is being parked.

I love the pressure release in the rear brakes when we disengage the handbrake. The back of the car comes down little when the handbrake is engaged.

cya
A
Old 9th September 2007, 13:51   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

simply love using the hand brake , i feel its not only a safety feature , but also an comfort feature ....
I use it whenever i get a chance to use it ...
Old 9th September 2007, 13:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

pressure release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
I love the pressure release in the rear brakes when we disengage the handbrake. The back of the car comes down little when the handbrake is engaged.
Absar, I'm not sure of that 'pressure-release' thing. A lot of the hand-brakes are 'mechanically' operated (via physical cable), I thought.
Are modern cars using 'hydraulic' hand-brakes?
Unless you mean 'pressure-release' as in the mechanical 'pressure'/force between the drums and the shoes is 'released'/removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks