Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 11:11   #1
BHPian

Knocking at low rpm : Hyundai i10 AUTO

My year old i10 has a recurring problem.

The symptom is rattle sounding knock from the engine, while in low rpms and speeds around 30 kmph, on gradients, if I low throttle and load the engine. The i10 is a auto sprortz.

The last time I took it into Hyundai for service they took a week and replaced as they claim the VTVT valve assembly. The problem has reappeared in a month within 2K. The car has done 18K.

Any pointers to technically how I can approach the issue, and from a consumer rights perspective, how I can deal with a potential lemon, will help.
666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 20:06   #2
BANNED

Re: Knocking at low rpm : Hyundai i10 AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post

The last time I took it into Hyundai for service they took a week and replaced as they claim the VTVT valve assembly.

Any pointers to technically how I can approach the issue, and from a consumer rights perspective, how I can deal with a potential lemon, will help.
As you have referred to the replacement of the VTVT assembly your i10 will have the 1.2 Kappa engine and not the 1.1 iRDE engine. The 1.2 Kappa engine comes with knock sensors and a faulty knock sensor will cause the engine to knock in the manner and situation that you have quoted.

If the knock sensor was working properly it would have adjusted the timing to ensure that there was no knocking. Knocking will happen either when the engine is strained (under load as you have described) or if the fuel quality is improper.

It is difficult to have knocking from a car that has knock sensors unless the knock sensor has failed.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 14:29   #3
BHPian

Are you using any premium type fuel ? I used to have knocking issues while using Speed. Switched back to normal fuel and all is well .
Old 18th January 2012, 16:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Try filling normal unleaded from Shell and see if it makes any difference. Poor fuel quality is one of the major reasons for engine knocking.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:00   #5
BHPian

666, I have precisely the same problem - ref. my post. Others seem to have it as well as the replies to the post indicate. Not sure if yours is a lemon, maybe it's just a design fault. VTVT Valve Assembly replacement!? The sound seems to come from the front bottom floor pan, as if the there's something loose/weak engine mounts. I am terrified to give it to the dealer!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2630108
Old 18th January 2012, 21:43   #6
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post

The last time I took it into Hyundai for service they took a week and replaced as they claim the VTVT valve assembly.
Isnt VTVT same as Vtec system? In that case a solenoid valve controls the variable lift system which comes into play at high rpm range unless it is a reverse Vtec. I have a hunch that the noise may be from something else. Is it possible to record it and post the sound/video file.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:28   #7
BHPian

Hi - Please refer this thread

I had this same issue and my service manager had advised me to write to Hyundai indicating this. Another i10 Kappa2 Auto had this issue fixed by upgrading the ECM software. It seems vehicles belonging to a few batches had this issue. I was reluctant since the Service Manager was yet to hear from the customer on their feedback. My knocking problem has become so much of an issue now that it is pronounced even on plain roads with the rpm around 2K. Now that a fellow bhp-ian has the issue resolved, I am not wasting time. Gotta do it asap - its affecting my love for this Auto.

May be this helps you too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sportz-14.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
666, I have precisely the same problem - ref. my post. Others seem to have it as well as the replies to the post indicate. Not sure if yours is a lemon, maybe it's just a design fault. VTVT Valve Assembly replacement!? The sound seems to come from the front bottom floor pan, as if the there's something loose/weak engine mounts. I am terrified to give it to the dealer!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2630108
Old 25th January 2012, 17:18   #8
BHPian

This seems to be affecting only the relatively Newer KAPPA 2 engines or this is for the Kappa 1 ( NON VTVT) as well.

I have an i10 Auto Sports Kappa ( JAN 2010 purchase ) and do not seem to have any form of knocking in any gear / speed.

Maybe i will check it again . Usually the car is driven by my brother . But i think if it was a severe knock he would have noticed for sure .

Glad that your problem is fixed.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:55   #9

I have the same problem since last 1 week. It is i10 Auto Sportz, Kappa 2, VTVT engine. Bought on 03 Noc 2010.
I went to the service center today for checkup and the service manager told me that it is due to engine knocking. He asked me to leave the car for thorough checkup. Don't know what to do. I will be leaving the car at the service center on Monday.
Whoever got the problem resolved, please provide more details.
Old 30th January 2012, 02:46   #10

Hi people, my 1st post, not a happy one though..i've been facing the same ''incessant low RPM (800 to 1800 approx.) lound engine knocking'' issue for the last 4 months or so with my nov. 2010 i10 magna kappa2. The 3rd free service I pointed this out to the service engineer - he said thorough engine checks and analysis have been done, its the fuel quality issue and nothing amiss with the car/engine at all. Now over the last 3 months I've tried fuel at atleast 6 diffrnt stations and 6 diffrnt kinds / brands but to no avail. Then I came across this thread, thus, safe to assume - it is a manuf. batch issue? Or is it all i10 VTVTs?? And would an ECU patch dismiss the problem altogether - permafix?

Additionally I'd been facing this weird creaking squeaking noise from both rear doors, 2nd free service sortof sorted it out for a while, was told it was a dry hinges issue and greasing it did the job. Now the rear right door has been constanly squeaking everytime i turn, break, go over a hump - but very clearly it is rear door noise and not the suspension - pointed this out in the 3rd free service but it still persists and increasingly so and also now hear an additional rattle at times...anybody else facing anything similar and permanent fixes?
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:51   #11

ECU software update was done on my i10-Auto, Kappa2. Now it runs smooth, no engine knocking any more. It took about 30 mins and was done free of cost.
Would have appreciated if Hyundai had proactively called the cars of this batch for software upgrade, or at-least had done that quietly during the regular service time.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by darude13 View Post
Hi people, my 1st post, not a happy one though..i've been facing the same ''incessant low RPM (800 to 1800 approx.) lound engine knocking'' issue for the last 4 months or so with my nov. 2010 i10 magna kappa2.
===============
pointed this out in the 3rd free service but it still persists and increasingly so and also now hear an additional rattle at times...anybody else facing anything similar and permanent fixes?
Just spoke with the service engineer - the guy's handled the 2nd and 3rd free servicing for my car - he says that mine's a one off problem, there are no other cars that have come to them at all with engine knocking problems in an i10 ...that coming from 1 of the largest dealers in Pune put me off big time.

I informed him that it's a prevalent problem and have read about a lot of folks having faced this and goes off with an ECU/ECM flash - the guy says that such a thing cannot be done - "they cannot touch / upgrade the car software", all he can do is he will scan the same in front of me and will get this done in his supervisor's presence - which he's supposedly done in the 3rd free service as well and there was nothing wrong detected. Thus, I'm heading to the service center tomorrow morning.

Therefore, request that the informed folks / auto gurus in the forum please help as to what to look for in the scan - what would it depict and what could I point at to catch the issue and take these guys' happiness but more importantly help me sort this incessant painful knocking ...

Has anyone in Pune faced this issue, if yes, was it sorted by the service center / or else is anyone aware of which of the service centres is capable of carrying out the ECU flash in Pune coz I guess I've been going to the wrong one all along...

Last edited by darude13 : 14th February 2012 at 12:57. Reason: Additional help / info required
Old 27th February 2012, 10:07   #13
BHPian

I too face the same problem with my dec 2011 i10 sportz auto. There is annoying engine knocking between 1200- 1800 RPM range. The car is due for first service in next few days and will ask the service guys about the ECU fix.
Old 5th March 2012, 17:37   #14
BHPian

The knocking issue on my i10 auto has disappeared once the car crossed 1000 Kms. I got the first service completed at 1300 KMS and everything is fine as of now.
Old 17th January 2013, 13:34   #15
BHPian

For about a month I have been noticing a knocking / cluttering sound at around 1800 RPM especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. I have been filling regular fuel from HP. Would an ECU upgrade fix this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks