Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 17:44   #1
BANNED

Windshield vibration noise in Fiesta

Hi Folks!

I like a completely isolated and silent cabin, but there is one niggle that's playing spoilsport in my otherwise thoroughly enjoyable Fiesta (2010 petrol SXi). I found out (after a series of fights with Ford A.S.S. as they were not able to figure out the source) that the noise is coming from the base of windshield (where it meets the dashboard/bonnet). Better late than never, but I'm glad I found out.

Now the question is, what's the best way to get this fixed? I spoke to Ford service engineer and he says they might need to apply sealant. But he was not confident. Also, I'd like to go to any other recommended garage in Hyderabad where this be done better than Ford A.S.S. Can you please share your thoughts and guide me?

Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Windshield vibration noise in Fiesta

You could take an opinion from Windshield Experts.

Removing the windshield and fixing it back with a fresh layer of sealant could solve the problem.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 19:39   #3
BANNED

Since you have had the car for more than a year, if it was the windshield that was vibrating it would have cracked or broken by now (when you hit a pothole or a speedbreaker the load is going directly to the windshield as it is vibrating. Moreover, if it was vibrating, it would mean that there was a gap and there would have been water seepage into the cabin during the monsoons. Hence it is most unlikely that you have a vibrating windshield. From what you say it could be more to do with a noise from the dashboard (close to the windshield) or something else that is loose from under the bonnet (a hinge of the bonnet could be loose as a case in point). However, be warned that removing small noises are a frustrating affair as it results more in failure unless the source of the noise has been correctly identified.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget.fr View Post
I found out that the noise is coming from the base of windshield (where it meets the dashboard/bonnet).
As the windshield is bonded to the surround, the chances of that rattling is low. Chances are the dashboard is the culprit. Can you stop the vibration by applying pressure at any point of the dash. If it is possible to isolate the point of vibration, try pushing in some rubber bonded felt like material eg like those used by aluminium glaziers. The OEM product used in cars may not be easily available. Try your luck and please give us the feedback.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The chances of windshield rattling is very less.

Also, there are umpteen number of parts in the dash that will rattle. If you want complete silence, and also as a precaution for future, remove the dash, reinstall professionally and damp the necessary parts.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 23:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try if the rattling is from your internal rear view mirror. some times this may resonate and appear to be from the windshield.
Old 18th January 2012, 23:41   #7
BHPian

My cousin had a similar problem in his Scorpio. There was this keeech keeeech noise from the lower left part of the windshield. He broke the glass and got it replaced under insurance having little damage to his pocket.

Please note that after fixing the new windshield it is best to not use the car much. The windshield needs to seat ( I do not know the authenticity of this, but the guys at windshield experts told this ).
Old 19th January 2012, 05:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is it rattling sound or wooshy sound. Windshield when not fixed properly with enough glue will give wooshy (Wind sound) when the wind speed is high (This can happen only when car touches decent speeds). When we changed the Windshield of Baleno because it had a crack i was able to hear Wooshy sound whenever we touched speeds ~80 (Not otherwise).

Now rattling is rather rare and a 1 year old car, should it not be within warranty? If yes then convincing the Ford guys is a better option as then the fix will be free.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th January 2012 at 05:38.
Old 19th January 2012, 06:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Please note that after fixing the new windshield it is best to not use the car much. The windshield needs to seat ( I do not know the authenticity of this, but the guys at windshield experts told this ).
Once the windshield has been replaced, the sealant which is applied has to set, based on the setting time of the compound. For this period of time, it is advised not to drive the vehicle around much, as vibrations could prevent the sealant from setting uniformly, which could result in wind noise entering the cabin at speeds.
Old 19th January 2012, 07:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Gadget.fr,

It is not very clear from your post whether you hear the rattling from the windshield all the times i.e even when the engine is running idle. If the noise is heard during the idle running also then there might be an issue with the glass loosing contact at some places. If it heard sometimes only then something below the dash or in the glove box might be a culprit. How did you come to conclusion yourselves that the issue is with the windshield? Did Ford confirm the same?

I remember the Ford guys removing the windshield when I had gone for one of regular servicing for my car, I guess it must been something similar issue. But later the Ford techs told that the issue was later diagnosed to be from a loose wiper attachment. Dont know if that might be case with you.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:06   #11
BANNED

Thanks all for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Is it rattling sound or wooshy sound. Windshield when not fixed properly with enough glue will give wooshy (Wind sound) when the wind speed is high (This can happen only when car touches decent speeds). When we changed the Windshield of Baleno because it had a crack i was able to hear Wooshy sound whenever we touched speeds ~80 (Not otherwise).

Now rattling is rather rare and a 1 year old car, should it not be within warranty? If yes then convincing the Ford guys is a better option as then the fix will be free.
It's clearly a vibration sound and not wooshy/wind sound. BTW, I'm just out of the two year warranty (it was actually a Dec 2009 purchase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Gadget.fr,

It is not very clear from your post whether you hear the rattling from the windshield all the times i.e even when the engine is running idle. If the noise is heard during the idle running also then there might be an issue with the glass loosing contact at some places. If it heard sometimes only then something below the dash or in the glove box might be a culprit. How did you come to conclusion yourselves that the issue is with the windshield? Did Ford confirm the same?

I remember the Ford guys removing the windshield when I had gone for one of regular servicing for my car, I guess it must been something similar issue. But later the Ford techs told that the issue was later diagnosed to be from a loose wiper attachment. Dont know if that might be case with you.
There is no noise during idle. It's present at running even at low speeds and on butter smooth roads; but it's certainly aggravated on bad roads.

I figured that it was coming from the windshield through a friend who pushed the windshield at the base outwards and the rattling went away. I guess it's a combination of wind (not necessarily strong) and windshield coming loose at the bottom. But anyway, I'm planning to check this thoroughly tomorrow on a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Since you have had the car for more than a year, if it was the windshield that was vibrating it would have cracked or broken by now (when you hit a pothole or a speedbreaker the load is going directly to the windshield as it is vibrating. Moreover, if it was vibrating, it would mean that there was a gap and there would have been water seepage into the cabin during the monsoons. Hence it is most unlikely that you have a vibrating windshield. From what you say it could be more to do with a noise from the dashboard (close to the windshield) or something else that is loose from under the bonnet (a hinge of the bonnet could be loose as a case in point). However, be warned that removing small noises are a frustrating affair as it results more in failure unless the source of the noise has been correctly identified.
Yeah, I'll check this tomorrow and come back. I agree that it's a frustrating experience to try and fix these niggles. That's exactly the reason for this post. I do not want to put this in the hands of some garage only to realize later that things got worse. I experienced this already with Ford A.S.S. They thought that the noise could be from the door, which they opened and did some damping.. the end result is that the door wasn't fit properly and I now need to really push/pull the door hard in order to open it.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:11   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget.fr View Post
Thanks all for your inputs.

Yeah, I'll check this tomorrow and come back. I agree that it's a frustrating experience to try and fix these niggles. That's exactly the reason for this post. I do not want to put this in the hands of some garage only to realize later that things got worse. I experienced this already with Ford A.S.S. They thought that the noise could be from the door, which they opened and did some damping.. the end result is that the door wasn't fit properly and I now need to really push/pull the door hard in order to open it.
I would suggest that you do not try to rectify thie noise until you can completely identify and isolate it. (when and if it becomes worse). The usual result if it is done before you can identify and isolate is that some thing else becomes worse (like your door).
Old 19th January 2012, 16:09   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
My cousin had a similar problem in his Scorpio. There was this keeech keeeech noise from the lower left part of the windshield. He broke the glass and got it replaced under insurance having little damage to his pocket.
No offence, but your cousin is a fraud; because of guys like him who make bogus insurance claims, honest customers like us have to pay higher premiums. I'm surprised your cousin drives a 10 lakh rupee Scorpio, but will not think twice about fraudulently charging an insurance company for 5 - 10K just because he didn't like a "keeech Keeech" sound. Further, I'm disturbed on seeing your post in a thread asking for suggestions on a mature forum, without the slightest tone of remorse.

He obviously needs a class in ethics.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 17:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
He obviously needs a class in ethics.
No Offence, but the society ethics as a whole have deteriorated to such a large degree for us to play as moral police in today's world.

Still, if we are starting a class in ethics on our beloved forum, let's do so with the incumbent Chief Minister of my dear state - UP...

Last edited by dkaile : 19th January 2012 at 18:04.
Old 21st January 2012, 13:16   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
but the society ethics as a whole have deteriorated to such a large degree for us to play as moral police in today's world.
Irrespective of how society has developed (or otherwise) today, some people still have their ethics in place. Trust me.

Quote:
if we are starting a class in ethics on our beloved forum
I firmly believe a mature community as Team-BHP.com has a strong value system in place & we will NOT permit the encouragement of malpractices. I could highlight some facts, but you as a 500+ post member probably already know the foundation that Team-BHP.com is built on.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks