Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 23:17   #1
BHPian

Maruti 1000 - Carburettor and Distributor Change

Hi,
My Maruti 1000 (90' Model) has done over 2lac+ kilometers. The car has been giving a lot of problems off late and it could totally be blamed that we hadn't had it serviced for quite a long time.

Anyway, the engine would shut off as soon as I'd hit the brakes and when I'd start the car again, it wouldn't accelerate properly, as if it was choked and the exhaust pipe would emit black smoke.

I got the car serviced from a local mechanic, he changed the engine oil, etc. and tried his hand at fixing the stopping problem, but that did not fix it.

Frustrated, I decided to take my car to Kar Scan in GK II, Delhi, he runs a full scan using a computer to check whether the components are functioning properly or not. The results showed problems with the carburettor, distributor and that the car was emitting excessive CO. The owner of the shop gave me a list of the parts that needed to be changed, but when the mechanic dismantled the carb, he found that the spray nozzle(?) was broken and the whole carb needed to be changed. He suggested that if I was to keep the car for my personal use, which I do plan to, I needed to get the carb and distributor changed.

So I headed towards Kashmere Gate to hunt down a Maruti 1000 Carb, but I could not find the original one anywhere, except for some local make called Pakko, which everyone suggested against.

Anyway, so I finally found a scrap dealer of auto parts (suggested by the same mechanic) who seems to have 2 carbs of 1000 and will be bringing it over tomorrow to see which one is in a better state.

The mechanic was suggesting that I could even go for the Zen or Gypsy carb, but I want to be sure before spending 4k+.

Is it possible to source the 1000 carb from anywhere? If not, will the Zen or Gypsy one suffice?

TIA,
Sibot
Old 21st January 2012, 00:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti 1000 - Carburettor and Distributor Change

I have a maruti 1000, tinkered a lot with my friends card zen and seen gypsy carb too and these 3 are different carbs. I suggest you to get that carbs you got from scrap dealer checked from a mechanic and replace all its packing and get it fully cleaned, that's it.

Regarding distributor, just remove that top cap and hold the shaft and try to move it.. it will move up and down little but but it should not move side-ways. If it moves side ways then it has play and it will not work good.
Old 24th May 2021, 23:08   #3
BHPian

Hi, It's 2021 and I am in a similar situation. I have a 1994 Maruti 1000 whose carburettor (carb) has got a few issues. Two out of three diaphragms (decompression chambers) are not working. Its secondary butterfly got jammed. The mechanic told to replace the full assy. Now I am trying to find another M1000 carb, but the car itself is very rare, so is the carb. Still going to check a few more places. The New MGP part is available on Boodmo but is very expensive for the car's current value. So I am still willing to find a used one. The mechanic told that the Zen carb can be fitted and worked on. Is it true? Suppose I find a zen carb in a decent condition, what changes do I have to make for it to work. Are vacuum connections the same?

Last edited by PSM_360 : 24th May 2021 at 23:09.
Old 4th June 2021, 00:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM_360 View Post
Hi, It's 2021 and I am in a similar situation. I have a 1994 Maruti 1000 whose carburettor (carb) has got a few issues. Two out of three diaphragms (decompression chambers) are not working. Its secondary butterfly got jammed. The mechanic told to replace the full assy. Now I am trying to find another M1000 carb, but the car itself is very rare, so is the carb. Still going to check a few more places. The New MGP part is available on Boodmo but is very expensive for the car's current value. So I am still willing to find a used one. The mechanic told that the Zen carb can be fitted and worked on. Is it true? Suppose I find a zen carb in a decent condition, what changes do I have to make for it to work. Are vacuum connections the same?
If it's just the diaphrams,you can replace it with a repair kit.Ones your replace all the o rings the valve should open up fine.
You can find carburettor repair kits made by Littal.
sohanbala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed