Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 11:49   #61

Re: Fuel tank capacity measurement, how?

Hello gurus. I am a bit confused with the tank capacity/fuel meter indicator on my verito D6 and would like some help. Yesterday the the fuel indicator bars exhausted itself and the orange low fuel indicator light woke up from its slumber. The owner's manual of Verito D6 says the fuel tank is of 50 ltrs (approx) and the digital display stating the amount of fuel consumed so far says 33.6 ltrs. However the DTE indicator's opinion states that I am good to go for another 75kms. I am a sedate driver and I hardly go past 2500 rpm. So is the reserve a mammoth 15 ltrs? If yes then how come the DTE indicates only 75kms at 5kms/ltr when I get an average of 15kms/ltr at city conditions at all time. It's the first time I have noticed this as I always fill her up before the low fuel light comes on. I want to calculate my average fuel consumption this time by going almost empty and then fill her up. Please help.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:55   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritoman View Post
I want to calculate my average fuel consumption this time by going almost empty and then fill her up. Please help.
You don't need to go empty to calculate fuel consumption.

Once you are past the half way mark, go to a bunk and top up using autocut.
Reset tripmeter to 0.
Drive for about 200-300 kms.
Then go back to the same bunk and the same nozzle.
Top up using autocut.

Distance covered / fuel filled is your mileage.

I do a check on every top up of mine.
If you have a smart phone you can install fuel loggers that help keep a record of fuel costs.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 12:10   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You don't need to go empty to calculate fuel consumption.

Once you are past the half way mark, go to a bunk and top up using autocut.
Reset tripmeter to 0.
Drive for about 200-300 kms.
Then go back to the same bunk and the same nozzle.
Top up using autocut.

Distance covered / fuel filled is your mileage.

I do a check on every top up of mine.
If you have a smart phone you can install fuel loggers that help keep a record of fuel costs.
Thanks bblost for the quick reply and will make sure thats how I do it from next time. However if you can shed some light on the kind of fuel tank/level calibration in the Verito, I would be much obliged.It is bothering me to my wit's end as how reserve can be of 15 ltrs approx and DTE suggests I drive like a race car driver
Old 10th January 2014, 17:53   #64
BHPian

Fluidic Verna fuel tank capacity

Hi Everyone,
This question is specific to Fluidic Verna. The fuel tank capacity is supposed to be 43 liters as per the manual book. When I do a full tank (auto cut) after the fuel indicator starts glowing, it takes up 33 liters. Tried it multiple times, and it remains at 33 lts.
Does this mean, there is still 10 liters in the tank left. I doubt, as the DTE shows around 60-70 km at this point. This possibly converts to around 5 liters. Adding up makes it 38 lts. So why am I missing the extra 5 liters.

Can anyone share their experience of how many liters does it take up to fill the tank, soon after the fuel indicator starts glowing. Or how many kms has one stretched after the fuel indicator starts glowing.

I did check with the Hyundai Service Center, and got mixed responses.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
Old 11th January 2014, 00:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

@veritoman and kiyer_2000..
Please visit the link given in the surprise's post on 4th page. Post no. 46.

There is some unusable fuel area where the fuel pump cannot reach and suck the fuel.
Old 4th March 2014, 18:10   #66
BHPian

Hi,
Last month, I drove my car to a very low level of petrol, and had the following observations.
(1) The fuel light indicator starts glowing, when the last point of fuel is remaining on the dashboard.
(2) I was able to drive around 60 KMs between second point to the last point.
(3) I drove for 55 KM with the fuel light glowing. (Not blinking). I understand the blinking starts if the fuel still goes down.

I decided to fill up the tank at this point. It took around 37.5 lt (autocut) and an another 1.5 lt after autocut. Taking the fuel filled to 39 lts.
Assuming, the tank still had around 4 lts (remember the fuel blinking had not started), the total tally goes to 39+4=43 lts, which is claimed in the manual book.

I am convinced about the 43 lts capacity.

Couple of interesting observations I made was
** The DTE goes blank at around 55 KM's left.
** On a long drive, if the fuel left is just 2 points - don't panic. There is enough fuel to drive for another 100 KMs.
** Though not recommended, the fuel tank took about 1.5 lts more after the auto cut.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
kiyer_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 22:10   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyer_2000 View Post
** The DTE goes blank at around 55 KM's left.
I drive a Swift ZDi and the DTE displays 40 kms and there is the low fuel warning light on the instrument cluster. Fuel filled was 38L at auto-cut.

Quote:
** On a long drive, if the fuel left is just 2 points - don't panic. There is enough fuel to drive for another 100 KMs.
Depends on driving conditions, usage of A/C etc for squeezing the mileage from the last drops of fuel. Risky though!

Quote:
** Though not recommended, the fuel tank took about 1.5 lts more after the auto cut.
Absolutely not recommended.

How did you arrive at the 1.5L post cut off capacity? Did you fill till the fuel overflow happened?

Anurag.
Old 5th March 2014, 11:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... ** Though not recommended, the fuel tank took about 1.5 lts more after the auto cut. ...
Varies. The extra is the volume of the connecting pipe from nozzle entry to tank. Since the auto cut-off sensing is in the nozzle and works off back-pressure while filling, the cut-off point varies as the trigger is not calibrated. If one asks for "Full tank", most of the filling assistants keep filling till the fuel overflows. (Even if one tells them to stop after auto cut-off, they still fill till the Amount display shows a round number - weird 'helpful' practice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
... How did you arrive at the 1.5L post cut off capacity? Did you fill till the fuel overflow happened? ...
Most likely!
Old 5th March 2014, 12:31   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had a Ikon TDCi for 4.5 years, and I have regularly caused bunk attendants to get a little impatient. Some members here will also raise their voice, but what the heck ! Read on ..

If you were any surprised by the 1.5 litres, then good you didnt have the Ikon. The Ikon takes 7 litres after auto-cut-off. I have done it at least 95% of the times, and never ever had any problems.

In contrast, My Sumo took about 1 litre & my Storme takes upto 2 litres. (All this without doing any cab-style shaking of the vehicle to remove the air & hence fill in more fuel).
Old 5th March 2014, 16:52   #70
BHPian

Actually, one of the pump attendant confirmed that he has filled petrol for about 300 Rs in the Verna after autocut, on quite a number of times. Taking his word, I decided to go for at least half that mark. Once the autocut happened, I confidently filled 1 more liter, and the 500 ml to round up the amount. I was more than convinced to see 39 lt mark.

It did not overflow or no shaking the vehicle done. I never fill beyond the autocut, but this was a sort of testing

2 points covering 100 KM - Definitely depends on driving style and load on the car. It happened on one of my earlier trips on a long drive, where the fuel dropped to second point and I was in no sight of the fuel station. The anxiety was too much to handle. Luckily I got one after around 30 km, but I decided to test it within city limits to find out how much can it carry on under such situations.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
Old 19th May 2014, 21:34   #71
BHPian

Dear All,

i own a Hyundai i10 Asta for 18 months now and have been trying to get the reserve level in my car. I normally refuel when the last 2 markers show up on my fuel gauge. But am planning for a long road trip and i need to know how much more i can push my car till it runs dry.

Can anyone help?
Old 19th December 2014, 16:39   #72
BHPian

Hi All,
A colleague of mine took the delivery of the New swift ZXI today.
The car had done 25 KMS and the dealer informed us that he put in 5 liters of petrol and was driven from his stockyard about 22 kms away.

We straight away drove to fill up the tank at Shinde petrol pump, Bavdhan Pune, where the reading was 35 KMS
I was watching the fueling and the attendant put in about 1.5 liters after auto cut-off.
The car took in 44.79 liters and I was surprised, because the tank capacity is mentioned as 42 liters for swift.

Can some one throw some light or is the petrol pump upto some mischief.

Last edited by rrswift : 19th December 2014 at 16:42.
Old 19th December 2014, 17:29   #73
Team-BHP Support

I don't have data to support my opinion, but I've observed over the years that ~10% of a vehicle's stated tank capacity is left over even when all indicators seem to indicate you're about to grind to a halt. I can only assume it's built-in as a passive safety measure to protect the fuel lines and associated systems from running completely dry if some cowboy driver pushes his luck too far.

DTE meters are heavily dependent on driving style, so never make the mistake of relying solely on what it says in case of an emergency situation. Best to tank up at least when the needle hits 1/4, if not slightly earlier. Watching the needle approach 'E' is the biggest buzz-kill on a long drive, probably even worse than bad roads. Spare yourself at least the agony you can

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th December 2014 at 17:31.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:33   #74
BHPian

Not sure if this is the exact place to ask. Mods please move it if its inappropriate.

Yesterday, my car (2015 Polo Petrol) was almost running on last bits of fuel. I usually fill from COCO BP but since it was not nearby, I did not want to take chance. I went to another BP outlet nearby and filled for 500 bucks. It was close to 7 Liters. Today morning since i was near COCO BP pump, I decided to fill up the tank fully. And to my Surprise, my Polo galloped an astonishing 43L.

Between the two pump visits, my car ran for around 40-42 km. I usually get around 11-12/Ltr. So I assume car would have used around 3Lts. So 7-3 = 4. Plus the residual before the first pump visit say 1L. I usually am very alert and was alert as usual both the times and I am sure they have not cheated me at least visibly. Now I am confused who cheated me. Does the fuel tank have capacity to have more than the standard mentioned liters of fuel?
Need some advice
Old 5th December 2017, 16:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Not sure if this is the exact place to ask. Mods please move it if its inappropriate.

Yesterday, my car (2015 Polo Petrol) was almost running on last bits of fuel. I usually fill from COCO BP but since it was not nearby, I did not want to take chance. I went to another BP outlet nearby and filled for 500 bucks. It was close to 7 Liters. Today morning since i was near COCO BP pump, I decided to fill up the tank fully. And to my Surprise, my Polo galloped an astonishing 43L.

Between the two pump visits, my car ran for around 40-42 km. I usually get around 11-12/Ltr. So I assume car would have used around 3Lts. So 7-3 = 4. Plus the residual before the first pump visit say 1L. I usually am very alert and was alert as usual both the times and I am sure they have not cheated me at least visibly. Now I am confused who cheated me. Does the fuel tank have capacity to have more than the standard mentioned liters of fuel?
Need some advice
You generally can squeeze in more fuel if you try to fill it up to the brim, anywhere between 3-5 liters would be my guess. Did you stop at the auto cut off? If not, then there is a high probability of more fuel being filled.
arvind71181 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed