Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

I think the basic problem here is that Samurai is talking about parking in a LHD environment while Revharder is talking about an RHD environment. See Samurai's diagram and you will understand.

Both of you are right, so dont argue.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:14   #17
aZa
Senior - BHPian

http://www.desizone.org/stuff/parking.swf

Ok Lets see who parks better now and put all our theories to test
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Well, I am disappointed, I was really looking forward to see your proof.
well, most probably these are my last words in this 'heated' thread:

to understand my stand, i have asked you to do a simple thing many times.
so go through my replies once again.

now, please relax and don't wait for any more replies from my side in this thread. peace.
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

This discussion has put me to a few minutes of thinking. I believe Samurai's method works on roads where we have kerbs or wall.

But on roads where we don't have kerbs or walls, i believe Rev's method is recommended.
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:31   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I think the basic problem here is that Samurai is talking about parking in a LHD environment while Revharder is talking about an RHD environment. See Samurai's diagram and you will understand.

Both of you are right, so dont argue.
Actually that's not true. I am saying the wheels should be away from the curb in an incline, in both LHD and RHD situation. Which means wheels should be turned left if parking on the right side of the road and turned right if parking on the left side of the road.

Anyway, I'll too will stop arguing since I also am not able to convince anybody.
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
This discussion has put me to a few minutes of thinking. I believe Samurai's method works on roads where we have kerbs or wall.

But on roads where we don't have kerbs or walls, i believe Rev's method is recommended.
IMHO i agree.

I think Rev's method is more fail safe..... Samurai's is good IF you have a kerb, AND you manage to park really close to said curb.

In India neither are curbs popular, nor do we bother parking close to them.

Also pls check the first link fthat Samurai posted... http://www.ehow.com/how_1869_park-hill.html

Someone has clearly mentioned in the comments about not using this method when there is no kerb.
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa

http://www.desizone.org/stuff/parking.swf

Ok Lets see who parks better now and put all our theories to test
Awesome link Aza!
hehehe... now i know how to kill this utterly boring Wednesday!

Thanks!
Amitoj
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:33   #23
BHPian

IMHO - Samurai is spot on how to park on incline and decline and I also haven't heard of any other way.

Moreover its not rocket science, simple common sense and pretty evident..isn't it?

Thanks

Vivek
Old 22nd March 2006, 12:14   #24
BHPian

I wonder why you guys go to such lengths to prove your choice of parking style to be the best. Turn right works. So does turning left. But the best way is the one truck drivers use (see trucks parked on roads in the Himalayan roads). Carry a couple of bricks in the boot. You know what to do. If there is no wall and no kerb, and only a bottomless gorge, you do not want to go into so much debate.
Old 22nd March 2006, 13:22   #25
BHPian

err,
I'm with samurai completely on this one.
The moment the car moves, the turn takes it right onto the curb and the front wheels hit the kerb & stop the car.
The other way, will make the rear wheels stop on the surb, but the car has to move thru 90 degrees first.

Plus if there's no kerb as on a Mountain road, you gonna lose your car in all cases!!

And i'll quit now as i'm getting pedantic!!

And regarding the discussion / argument - As far as the original discussion goes, it was always with the kerb in mind. I really see no reason to take away the kerb.
And there's no reason that if there is a kerb, why anyone should park far away from it.
Old 22nd March 2006, 14:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Actually that's not true. I am saying the wheels should be away from the curb in an incline, in both LHD and RHD situation. Which means wheels should be turned left if parking on the right side of the road and turned right if parking on the left side of the road.
I agree to the above - wheels turned away from the kerb on incline and turned towards the kerb in decline
Old 22nd March 2006, 14:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

I'm not going to park on hills ever! curb or no curb! I'll just let my car roll down the incline/slope/hill/gorge till it hits something and stops! :-) LOL. Enough Said. Time for Closure? PM me if you want it opened.
Old 8th November 2006, 20:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Parking - uphill & downhill

I learnt my driving basics way back in early 1977 on a Bedford truck...! For the above I was taught to park the vehicle the following way:

Uphill:

Park on the extreme left side of the road and engage the 1st gear. Put two bricks diagonally across - one behind the front right tyre and the other behnd the left back tyre.

Downhill:

Park on the extreme left side of the road and engage the reverse gear. Put two bricks diagonally across - one in the front of the front left tyre and the other in the front of the right back tyre.

In those days one hadn't heard of hand-brakes, I mean they hardly used to work..!

I've followed this practice this date without any mishaps whatsoever.

Last edited by gd1418 : 8th November 2006 at 20:20.
Old 27th March 2008, 17:13   #29
BHPian

My handbrake in my Hyundai Accent 2000 model is weak. I have been told that on a downward slope (decline), i should always park it in reverse gear; and on an upward slope (incline), I should park in first gear. Is that correct?
I had recently parked my car on a decline in reverse gear (handbrake not working) and I noticed my car slowly inching forward. It freaked me out but luckily bricks were handy. Is it normal that gear does not do the job of parking brakes so well, or is it due to a problem in my car?
Without the handbrakes working, what is a sure shot way to ensure firm parking on sloping ground? Is it essential that I keep my handbrake in good shape?
Thanks,
Harsha
Old 27th March 2008, 19:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with Samurai's method.
Anyone who drove in the SanFrancisco area will vouch for it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks