View Poll Results: Are you upgrading?
Yes- I will go in for the GC Upgrade kit 21 33.87%
No-Current set up suits my needs 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:19   #16
BHPian

re: Official ground clearance upgrade package for Linea/Punto @ Rs. 10,000

I don't feel a need to increase the GC on my Linea FIRE.
I have hardly ever encountered much of an issue with it.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I am happy with the GC of my Punto. I have managed to hit the nose some times due to my own carelessness but the underbody protection is excellent, with more GC i do not want to ruin the brilliant dynamics.

I was discussing the same with a friend who owns a 2010 Punto, he too has similar views.

I'd rather add some money and get some more power out of the engine.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my car now has taller than stock tires, which i moved from my Laura, so my car now has higher GC already. Since i have not driven the car much after the tire change i cannot comment on changes to behaviour including front end scraping.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th February 2012 at 11:25.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:46   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Please keep us updated.
Has the dealer provided any time frame as to when the kits will arrive.
Also make sure to click before and after pics for any visible changes.

My brother called up the dealer 3 times so far and the dealer confirmed to him that the Kit is already with them.

Any way my brother is taking the car on Monday for the Upgrade and i asked him to get all the relevant details for the same. The dealer is saying that it takes 2 days for them to complete the upgrade.

Since the dealer was unable to give him a satisfactory reply about the after effects (positives and negative) he wanted to visit them personally to get the first hand info from them before going for the upgrade.

Will keep you posted..
wildon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
But, my Linea will not have this GC upgrade as the cost involved is well beyond my budget. So, I have decided to stay away from this GC upgrade and save Rs 12 k [including labour charges].
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
I don't feel a need to increase the GC on my Linea FIRE.
I have hardly ever encountered much of an issue with it.
+1 to both Ravi Sir and Jalsa, 12 k is out of my budget, also i don't have much faith in the work going to be done by the Tata personnel.

Further I have the Tjet+ which already has a GC of 170mm, in the last one year of ownership have driven my T-Jet over widely different terrain but have scrapped her belly only twice, and both the times I was expecting it but unfortunately was unable to avoid it either of the times.

Eagerly waiting for Wildon's review of the the upgradation of the GC as well but as of now it is a no-no for me.

Last edited by PGNarain : 3rd February 2012 at 11:03.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Nope. Not going for it.
Though I have managed to bend the engine guard innumerable times and then went in for a new one when I got tired of beating the old one back to shape.
Managed to dent the sump as well during a stupid offroading experience in Chikmaglur. Now i'm just more learned to avoid such stupidity

I thought the plate came for 800 INR (lemme check my bills again).
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

The upgrade will definitely compromise handling with higher CG. People who travel on bad roads with family can consider this, single driver in urban areas can safely opt out. I am not suggesting all urban roads are good, but if your daily commute is through reasonably good surfacing then stick with the current setup and its better(my opinion) handling.

I voted No, single driver on Hosur Road, completely unnecessary upgrade for me. OT: If only TASS could get that arm rest I want, been asking for 6 months now.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:54   #22
BHPian

the MRP of the engine guard plate is 1790. Kashmiri gate should be able to offer it for lesser.

I don't think the upgrade will cost just 12k. That would be parts. Considering the fact that TASS charged me 450 for brake pad change, suspension change for all four wheels should cost 2k+, unless fiat mandates a nominal charge.

I don't think the GC will go up much. the 2012 GC is attained with R16 rims. plus the impact of this change on the dynamics is not known. Hence it's avoidable. or wait-and-watch at best. However, if there was a parts buyback along with alloy replacement, I would have considered this. Don't the like R16 alloy design much tho...the R15s on my mjd are much better

BUTTT, full marks to FIAT for extending this to existing customers!
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:33   #23
BHPian

Fiat has managed to disappoint its loyal customers once again. This so called upgrade "kit" is not really a "kit" at all. If you see their facebook page they have listed what all is included in the kit. It is just a combination of individual spare parts which you can anyway buy off the shelf.

Also, Fiat is selling the "kit" to old customers at MRP plus charging labour on it. If they want to keep existing customers happy they should have sold the "kit" at cost and levied nominal labour charges.

Plus with the questionable quality of workmanship the TATA ASC offers, I don't see why anyone would take the risk and go for this upgrade (especially at this cost). I think most customers are going to take the "why fix when it ain't broken" path for this so called "upgrade kit".
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

I feel this a basic design glitch that must have called for a "recall" else where done free of cost to the customer; but here the customer is made to pay for increasing GC!?! I was given to understand going for the T-Jet's rims and tires should solve the issue. Instead of paying 11-12k why not go for a change of rims and tires of the T-Jet? 185mm is rather 'sumptous' India specific GC that my Elantra has. Hope this doesn't come at the expense of famous 'road holding' character of Punto/Linea.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 3rd February 2012 at 12:42.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:40   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

People, its actually not 12k...Its 12k + Labour.
When I contacted Concorde Dairy circle, they thold it will be aroung 14-16k. Lets assume 15k.

For 15k, I'd personally not even think of this change.

At 170mm, its one of the highest GC in the competition and with the tyre change its much higher.

If the ride is spoilt after that (especially body roll and high speed cornering abilities), I'd kill myself.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK it's 10.8K plus labour-it will come out to be around 13K.
And the kit comprises of 4 new shock absorbers and springs for a linea.
For the punto they have some additional part for the front bumper.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 3rd February 2012 at 12:44.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:23   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Official ground clearance upgrade package for Linea/Punto @ Rs. 10,000

If it consists only of suspension components, you'll get it anyways at the time of replacing your suspension . Typical life of a suspension on Indian roads is 40 - 60K kms. Thus, if your car has done about 35,000 kms (as an example), just wait for another 10 - 20K.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how many Fiat owners are satisfied with the ground clearance.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:49   #28
BHPian

We are happy with GC of my dad's Linea MJD. Yes it scraps the bottom, but not that often. hope we had leanrned to drive it that way from the beginning.

We found that the front mud flaps use to scrap more often in humps and removed all the four. Now it rarely gets scrapped and no serious effect due to this. The roads that we commute also are not that bad. So no plans for GC upgrade .

But really eager to see what that GC upgrade package has for 12k.

Last edited by BulZire : 3rd February 2012 at 15:54.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If it consists only of suspension components, you'll get it anyways at the time of replacing your suspension . Typical life of a suspension on Indian roads is 40 - 60K kms. Thus, if your car has done about 35,000 kms (as an example), just wait for another 10 - 20K.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how many Fiat owners are satisfied with the ground clearance.
Hello,

You could not have said it better.

Also they are not extending the warranty for the current owners if the new so called "kit" is fitted. As far as I know, Fiat honours suspension warranty only till 35k kms.

If a non 2012 model owner who has completed 30k on his Linea / Punto goes for the "upgrade kit", his warranty will still get over at 35k km only and not at 65k (i.e additional 35k because the new Fiat approved "kit" has been fitted).

Thank you
darsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

With the kind of roads i drive on-i dont think i will be scraping the linea's belly often,also i dont want change the current stance of the car,i am double minded as of now-,probably will checkout a linea with the upgrade kit,before taking the plunge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks