Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 12:25   #1
BHPian

Exhaust Pipe to be replaced?

Hi

My Zen underwent a 40K service at a Maruthi dealer workshop. Post the service, the service adviser mentioned that the silencer/exhaust pipe would need to be replaced after some time since it is wobbly. He then proceeded to shake the end of the exhaust pipe to show that it was loose.

I was not sure of how the silencer / exhaust pipe could become loose. He said it was normal running repair and that it would be better to replace the "front" and "back" sections since just replacing the "back" section by welding would not be proper. And also that the total cost would be 7-8K.

This is completely new area to me so need advice from fellow Team-BHPians on how to proceed.

Shouldn't the exhaust pipe be held to the chassis/body using some rubber bushes and just replacing those be sufficient ? How are these held together ? Is is required to replace the entire sections ? And is it safe to do it outside the dealer workshops to save cost ?

Mods: I searched the forums, but could only find cases where the silencer was rusted and had to be replaced. Please delete if this happens to be a duplicate issue which I missed.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Zen - Silencer/Exhaust pipe to be replaced ?

Get it done outside.
you have no allegiance left to MS by way of warranties etc.
Authorized would always replace the parts, not fix.
Not to make money, necessarily, but due to policy.

If there is a break in the pipes, itll be an easy fix outside.
2-3k would get you an endcan too if necessary.
Youre right about the bushes, and these would be cheaper too, to buy over the counter, and get it sone from any independent exhaust guy.
You just have to look for one, plus, its a zen, so everyone will know about the innards.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check this linky, should give you a fair idea of how an entire exhaust system looks like.

From your description it looks like the end can has become loose or the welding has given away at the place where it connects to the intermediate pipe.

Quote:
Shouldn't the exhaust pipe be held to the chassis/body using some rubber bushes and just replacing those be sufficient ? How are these held together ? Is is required to replace the entire sections ? And is it safe to do it outside the dealer workshops to save cost ?
It generally isn't welded, rather held by clamps. You can replace only the parts which has been affected by rust or whatever. Any local garage who can fabricate these pipes should be able to do it and wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 20th February 2012 at 12:47.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 13:43   #4
BHPian

Would just like to give you one advise: Stay away from the service advisor he is taking you for a royal ride,There is absolutely no need to replace the front section if its not damaged,the very fact he is asking both to be done is a give away tht he wants to fleece you.

Any independent exhaust guy can fix the issue for dirt cheap 500 to 1000 bucks.
If its possible then buy the rubber supports over the counter which cost hardly anything and have them replaced too.

Just dont replace the exhaust.Btw is your exhaust sounding loud? If not then its high possiblity that your rubber supports are torn and hence the wobbly silencer,if its sounding different or loud then a crack sumwhere which can be easily patched.To save from further rust,buy yourself a can of high temperature paint can which costs 290/- and spray the whole silencer,one can will cover one full silencer with two coats.This paint dosent peel off and will provide a barrier for any rust formation.You will find this can in hardware or any good paint shop.Sold in the name of Bosny or even RJ makes good spray cans.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably just a broken clamp. Why don't you get under the car and check for yourself?
Old 27th March 2012, 21:59   #6
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I've fitted a CNG kit in my 2002 model MPFI Zen and due to the cylinder weight, the GC has reduced which causes the underneath of the car to touch humps if the car is loaded (3 passengers at the rear).

Of late, I suspect that the silencer has given way. Any clue how can I make out if the Silencer has gone or not based on the engine sound / exhaust note ?

Also, if the silencer has gone, what harm could it do to the engine ?

Is it better to go for a MGP silencer or go for a local made silencer ?

Awaiting response guys.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Any clue how can I make out if the Silencer has gone or not based on the engine sound / exhaust note ?
The exhaust turns noticeably loud and initially somewhat sporty.

Quote:
It doesn't really affect the life of the engine as such, but affects FE, performance, and driveabiltiy.

Quote:
MGP might be costlier. If it were me, I'd go for a Full Free Flow exhaust, which will still cost lesser than MGP, but sound a little higher and sportier.
Old 28th March 2012, 00:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Hi Guys,

I've fitted a CNG kit in my 2002 model MPFI Zen and due to the cylinder weight, the GC has reduced which causes the underneath of the car to touch humps if the car is loaded (3 passengers at the rear).

Of late, I suspect that the silencer has given way. Any clue how can I make out if the Silencer has gone or not based on the engine sound / exhaust note ?

Awaiting response guys.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
The first thing I will say is seriously consider getting bigger tyres which will lead to more ground clearance, because if this does not change, no matter how well you repair the exhaust or put a better one in, it is only a matter of time before that gets damaged too.

That said, the easiest way to make out if the silencer has gone is by the noise it makes. It will sound a lot louder than usual and will sound like a sports car.

If you can I would suggest a FFE, albeit a well designed one. It will help improve mileage and performance to a small extent.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
That said, the easiest way to make out if the silencer has gone is by the noise it makes. It will sound a lot louder than usual and will sound like a sports car.
This happened in my Forester. About 6 months ago, the engine started making more noise then usual. Other difference was, the RPM always stayed at higher RPM then usual. For instance the 100 kmph would come at 3000 rpm instead of running around 2800 rpm when the engine was normal.
Incompetent SA in the workshop attributed the noise to the worn out bearings on the front wheels. I came to know that the culprit was the leaking exhaust only after it broke
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-forester.html

Last edited by Guna : 28th March 2012 at 11:46.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:16   #10
BHPian

Thanks Guys for the inputs. I took the car to a trusted mechanic today. He investigated and said there is nothing wrong with the silencer. Howver I pointed him towards something like a hole at the center of the exhaust system. He examined that and said its not broken but the protective metal layer is coming off.

I suspect that its the cat con's metal and am worried about it.

Inputs from you guys would help.

Thanks,
Yogesh
Old 28th March 2012, 19:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This happened in my Forester. About 6 months ago, the engine started making more noise then usual. Other difference was, the RPM always stayed at higher RPM then usual. For instance the 100 kmph would come at 3000 rpm instead of running around 2800 rpm when the engine was normal.
Incompetent SA in the workshop attributed the noise to the worn out bearings on the front wheels. I came to know that the culprit was the leaking exhaust only after it broke
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-forester.html
I remember your post about this. OT, but did you get it all sorted out in the end.

Coming back to the present case, if you could give the OP an idea of how the sound was, it will be helpful. I am guessing that the Zen might not have a tach so he would not know if the vehicle was going to speed at higher revs.

Did you see a drop in mileage. If so, then the OP can look for this to help guide him.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

These are all just fantastic excuses to go.
Go free flow!
Get a raspy endcan too.
Or just keep it quiet if it's still a family car.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:29   #13
BHPian

If its loose, you need to change the rubber mounts that hold the silencer. It doesn't cost much.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:41   #14
BHPian

Exhaust pipe for Mitshubishi Lancer

I have 2001 Lancer petrol model in stock form and superb condition. Recently, while reversing, a pile of stones hit the bottom and damaged the mid section of the exhaust pipe. Since then the car purrs like a race car and grabs attention (something to die for?? ... not me!)

The a.s.s inspected and suggested a replacement costing 8K. They pointed out that it was already welded earlier at two places and another weld job would not hold for long.

Exhaust Pipe to be replaced?-03_silencer_welded.jpg

This is the full view of the mid-section (picture sourced from the web)

Exhaust Pipe to be replaced?-mirage_exhaust_3.jpg

I was told that this part is OE Mitsubishi and out of stock; awaiting fresh supplies from HM and I am in queue since past 2 months with no conformed ETA.

Is it important that I replace it with OE part only? What if I replace it with some aftermarket compatible brand? and what are my best resources to find it outside the a.s.s? In Pune or Mumbai?
Old 6th February 2013, 11:29   #15
BHPian

Re: Exhaust pipe for Mitshubishi Lancer

Hello Chewbecca,

According to me its not mandate that you go with the OEM part from a.s.s for an exhaust pipe for lancer instead consider replacing it outside. More over you will in queue for ages as the parts for lancer is just so scarce for a.s.s.! For all we know they might also sourcing it from third party

I replaced my stock exhaust pipe for my lancer from a workshop in Bangalore and it costed me around 2k for the replacement (abt an year back) and its absolutely fine, i don't notice any difference in notice or in the setup.

I will not be able to suggest any workshops from Mumbai though !!

Keep Revving,
Gokul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks