Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 16:58   #46
j76
BHPian

Hi, I own a 3 year old corolla and I have been using the Climate control feature in the way that @Mohnish has mentioned. Always been setting the temperature to one that is comfortable between 20 and 25 (not max cold). And as stated in the post the AC evaporator coil is apparently leaking and the folks at Toyota just called to tell me that it involves a replacement of the coil (Rs.18,000/-).

Now using the climate control in the way that I used it caused the problem ? i.e. setting it at say 23 degrees caused the hot and cold air to both pass through creating local hot spots leading to leaking ?
Old 14th July 2011, 22:52   #47
BHPian

Re: AC vs climate control

Hi!,
I own a Punto 90HP and am facing some issues with the AC.Looks like the more advance features we have we have, more the problems as the SC's are unable to solve these issues.

As told to me the car has a variable compressor and there is no thermostat.

I had a problem of Frosting due to which the cooling was getting effected. This looks like has been solved by changing an expansion valve. I do not know whether the same has been solved as its been raining since I got the car Back. The problem use to come only after atleast an Hour drive in hot & humid conditions.

Now, When I set the car @ 21 degs Full Auto the car cools quite good. But, as soon I change to Auto with recycle mode the cooling reduces. When I increase the temperature above 22degs the direction of the blower shifts to the lower vents and the cooling reduces. I am totally confused whether this is a problem or this is how ACC works.

What should be the difference in the actual cabin temperature, the temperature @ the vent & the temperature set by me.

Your Views please.

Thanks,

Kiran
Old 14th July 2011, 23:10   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Hi!,
I own a Punto 90HP and am facing some issues with the AC.Looks like the more advance features we have we have, more the problems as the SC's are unable to solve these issues.

As told to me the car has a variable compressor and there is no thermostat.

I had a problem of Frosting due to which the cooling was getting effected. This looks like has been solved by changing an expansion valve. I do not know whether the same has been solved as its been raining since I got the car Back. The problem use to come only after atleast an Hour drive in hot & humid conditions.

Now, When I set the car @ 21 degs Full Auto the car cools quite good. But, as soon I change to Auto with recycle mode the cooling reduces. When I increase the temperature above 22degs the direction of the blower shifts to the lower vents and the cooling reduces. I am totally confused whether this is a problem or this is how ACC works.
I don't know about the variable compressor part, it actually may be true since I doubt I can remember noticing the compressor go on and off.

Let me try and explain whats happening - You set the temperature to 21 degrees, and after about an hour the inside of the car is pretty cold, maybe almost 21 degrees and the interior thermostat picks this up.

When you increase the temperature to 22, the set temperature is now higher than the temperature inside the car, and also the outside temperature which would be cool due to the rain. Since the set temperature is now higher, the car diverts air to the feet which is better for warming up the car.

The ACC works like this, but I've noticed the Punto directs airflow to the feet a lot sooner than other ACC systems I've seen. So the best way to avoid this is to not raise the temperature, but lower the fan when you are cold.

It works well otherwise, but can't cope with the rains. lol.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:26   #49
BHPian

Thanks Akshay for your comments.

How come when the temp is set @ 21 degs in Full Auto mode i.e it not completely in recycle mode the temperature is far lower (15deg at the grill) than when its in Auto recycle mode (28degs at the grill) . The cabin gets warm immediately as soon as you shift to Auto from Full auto. Infact the SC guys had told me that the cooling will be better in recycle mode. The grill temp when the temp is set @ LO is around 4-5 degs.

Kiran
Old 14th July 2011, 23:39   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Thanks Akshay for your comments.

How come when the temp is set @ 21 degs in Full Auto mode i.e it not completely in recycle mode the temperature is far lower (15deg at the grill) than when its in Auto recycle mode (28degs at the grill) . The cabin gets warm immediately as soon as you shift to Auto from Full auto. Infact the SC guys had told me that the cooling will be better in recycle mode. The grill temp when the temp is set @ LO is around 4-5 degs.

Kiran
I think you should show it to Fiat because I find the cooling is better on recirculation rather than what you experience.
Old 28th November 2011, 18:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Had a query on the relative fuel consumption of the same vehicle having a manual AC vs the same vehicle having Climate Control. I would assume that the fuel economy would be better in the vehicle with Climate Control since the compressor cuts off whenever the set temperature is reached as opposed to a manual AC where it continues to run. Is my assumption correct?
Old 30th November 2011, 10:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Had a query on the relative fuel consumption of the same vehicle having a manual AC vs the same vehicle having Climate Control. I would assume that the fuel economy would be better in the vehicle with Climate Control since the compressor cuts off whenever the set temperature is reached as opposed to a manual AC where it continues to run. Is my assumption correct?
Is no one able to confirm?
Old 30th July 2012, 20:23   #53
BHPian

Hi People,

In my SX4 i have been observing that whenever i start the car, on ACC , the fresh air mode automatically switches on and i have to turn it off to re circulation mode.

And also when ACC is on initially the fan starts with the full blast which is quite irritating.

Could somebody pls tell me are they symptoms normal in ACC?

BR

Amit
Old 30th July 2012, 20:39   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
And also when ACC is on initially the fan starts with the full blast which is quite irritating. Could somebody pls tell me are they symptoms normal in ACC?
Sorry I don't have a SX4 but what is this ACC you refer to? Is it the position of the ignition key (ACC just before IGN) or is ACC automatic climate control button or switch?

If ACC is airconditioning setting then the blower going on full speed is normal. The idea is to cool the car down ASAP. So it switches to Recirculate or Fresh Air depending on temps inside the car and the chosen temp setting.

To avoid this stop using the ACC function & operate the air conditioning manually. I rarely use the ACC function.
Old 30th July 2012, 21:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Sorry I don't have a SX4 but what is this ACC you refer to? Is it the position of the ignition key (ACC just before IGN) or is ACC automatic climate control button or switch?

If ACC is airconditioning setting then the blower going on full speed is normal. The idea is to cool the car down ASAP. So it switches to Recirculate or Fresh Air depending on temps inside the car and the chosen temp setting.

To avoid this stop using the ACC function & operate the air conditioning manually. I rarely use the ACC function.
Hi Buddy,

Thanks for the prompt reply, i am also planning to use manual mode now, instead of ACC, but still not sure, why its switches on Fresh air mode, during the initial start of the car.

BR

Amit
Old 30th July 2012, 21:09   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
but still not sure, why its switches on Fresh air mode, during the initial start of the car.
Hey welcome pal. BTW, if the switch to Fresh Air is a default there's nothing one can do about it. My car is always in recirc mode but switches to fresh air if the battery is disconnected. Therefore I assume there's a system reset when there's no voltage.

What I suggest is that you speak to a MASS technician to see if it can be changed. You may get further info in your car owners manual.

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2012, 11:58   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
To a certain extent. Even in a manual ac, there is a thermostat which makes the compressor cut off after a certain temparature has been achieved in the cabin, however, the automatic climate control units are more precise in doing so.

So, in real world terms, the differences are negligible.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if this question looks silly or ignorant! :-)

Is it possible to fit Automatic climate control to cars which only has standard AC? Or is it something like ABS and Airbags which only have to be done as OE?

Thanks,
Old 8th November 2012, 14:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Is this "Auto Defrost Mode" standard for all ACC cars? Somehow I have not noticed this in many Indian cars which have ACC. For example, in SX4-ZXi, there is an ACC but I did not see this Auto Defrost Mode there. So does this happen by default (in ACC cars) without having to select this mode, or is this an additional feature of ACC which is there in only a few cars with ACC?

Thanks,
-AD
Hi People,

I am also looking for the similar answer about Auto Defrost Mode in SX4, Zdi model. Since winters are coming, now facing problem of mist on the front windshield.

When i switch the AC on @ temp 26, the mist clears off and then i have switch off the AC for better fuel economy and also there is not point with AC running all the time with heater.

Is there any other way, to remove the mist?

In the direction air flow know, there is direction of Auto.. not able to understand its functionality...nothing mentioned in the manual as well.

Thanks

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 8th November 2012 at 14:27.
Old 8th November 2012, 19:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Now how does it work? Once the AUTO button pressed, a module in your car's on board computer comes to life to maintain the set temperature inside the car at all times. This is done by a combination of cold air from the air conditioner and hot air from the heater. Your blower speed is also controlled by a speed controller present in the climate control module.
Brilliant explanation, thanks!

After going through the discussion, my understanding is that ACC helps in maintaining a set temperature by using the hot/cold air mix, apart from other parameters like blower speed.

If this (highlighted above in bold) assumption is correct, then does it mean that, setting the temperature to say 24'ish range on a normal day, will unnecessarily cause the heater to work?
This is because, the ambient cold air from the AC will be anyway lower than 24 deg and hence the system will work to 'heat' this AC cold air, up in effect.

Since heating means, usage of more power (or heat is always from the engine and not another dedicated heater coil set up?), how good it will be to use ACC for such temperature range, both economically as well as mechanically?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks