Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 09:02   #1

Zen Automatic : Safety mechanism

Hi,

I recently bought a used zen automatic (2002 - MPFI). I need to know if there is supposed to be a safety mechanism that prevents from shifting gear lever (from 'P' to 'D' or 'R') without depressing the brake. Currently I am able to change without depressing the brake. Did Zen autos have this safety feature ?

Thanks
Satish
Old 27th February 2012, 13:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Zen Automatic : Safety mechanism

Nope, the Zen has a vintage 3-speed Automatic that isn't equipped with that precautionary safety feature. You can change gears without pressing the brake pedal, though the button on the gear lever needs to be pressed when moving from P -> D.

Information source : Dippy (ex-owner of the Zen AT)
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

@GTO, if the button on the gear-lever needs to be pressed to effect a gear change, does it not mean that accidental gear shifts are avoided ? Which is what I believe is the query of the OP.

In our A-Star-AT, there is no such button on the gear-lever. But to move from P, brake needs to be depressed and also key needs to be in on position.
If key is not in, then for emergencies, one can shift gear position by depressing the small shift-lock button.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th February 2012 at 15:52.
Old 28th February 2012, 14:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@GTO, if the button on the gear-lever needs to be pressed to effect a gear change, does it not mean that accidental gear shifts are avoided ?
Forcing the brake pedal to be pressed is a much safer way. Reason:

- Only the driver can move the gear lever (as only he will be in a position to press the brake pedal).

- Say, you are on an incline. If the gear lever is unintentionally moved from P -> N, the car will not move (as the brake pedal remains pressed).

Whether it's forced or not, I consider it a best practice to engage the brake pedal before shifting positions on an Automatic.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 15:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Forcing the brake pedal to be pressed is a much safer way. Reason:
- Only the driver can move the gear lever (as only he will be in a position to press the brake pedal).
- Say, you are on an incline. If the gear lever is unintentionally moved from P -> N, the car will not move (as the brake pedal remains pressed).
Whether it's forced or not, I consider it a best practice to engage the brake pedal before shifting positions on an Automatic.
+1 to this. Pressing the brake pedal on an AT is just a smart habit to inculcate. It adds a measure of control when you're on an incline and prevents someone in another seat accidentally (or deliberately) shifting the gear when they shouldn't.

Also... spoke to a friend who had an AT Zen back in the day, and he confirmed the brake pedal didn't need to be pressed when moving the gear selector.
Old 28th February 2012, 15:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

In my Vento AT you just need to lightly keep your foot on the brake to shift between gears. No need to depress fully or even hard. The safety button on the gear lever is for shifting between P and R, P and D and D to S. Moving from any gear to N is seamless.

I like this arrangement and think it's an extremely well-thought out one.
Old 29th February 2012, 12:11   #7

Thanks guys. I think having the safety mechanism of depressing the brake fully is necessary to prevent accidental launch. I think we have this feature even in the gear less two wheelers.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:56   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the buy! Just wondering what kind of price this AT cost you? I have looking out for a used Zen AT for some time now. It's hard to find a good one in Bombay.
Old 9th March 2012, 15:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Congrats on the buy! Just wondering what kind of price this AT cost you? I have looking out for a used Zen AT for some time now. It's hard to find a good one in Bombay.
hmm.. I did buy this car from Bombay. I stay in Bangalore. I bought this car for my dad. I got it for 85K. I am sure you would be able to find one for less than a lac in Bombay.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:13   #10
BHPian

Hi Satish, its a deal for 85 K. Even I am trying to find an automatic car within that budget. Maximum around 2 lakhs. I am from New Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks