Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2006, 11:24   #1
BHPian

Camber Adjustment query & Camber Adjusting Bolts?

Hullo folks,

My brother is looking for a good mechanic to do the camber setting for his FIAT UNO. Apparently he has been told that the camber setting is more difficult in American and European cars and needs to be done by a good mechanic. Is this correct, and if yes, what does it involve specifically ?

We are looking for somebody good to do this setting in Delhi/Gurgaon/Mumbai. If you can put us on to a good mechanic, much obliged.

Thanks in advance.

ciao,
hell_rider
Old 26th March 2006, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, you will have to find out if camber settings can be done on the Uno. Most modern cars come with fixed camber settings that cannot be changed.

The bbay boys should be able to help u find the right place to do it.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2007, 17:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

I noticed recently that my right front tyre is getting bald on inner edge. I suspected camber angle problem and today confirmed that it indeed is the case.

Now comes the difficult part. I am told that the camber can not be adjusted for Fiat Petra (no adjustment). Only toe can be adjusted. The only solution I have now:

a) Rotate the tyres (diagonally), till all the tyres becomes bald.
b) Try changing the front shock absorber (assembly???) and see if this gets rectified.

Any help from experts? What should be the correct approach?
Old 26th January 2007, 17:56   #4
BHPian

RX, Did you get your wheel alignment job done from the fiat service centre or outside.I recently got mine done from outside.I got the same reply as yours - only toe in can be adjusted and not camber.So I called up Shaman FIAT and enquired if they do adjust the camber.I got a reply in the affirmative.They do adjust the suspension settings and get the camber adjusted to original factory settings.

Infact,I have my regular service next week.And my camber settings are out of sync as well.Lets see if the service centre can get it right.Surprisingly,there is no tyre wear at all.
In any case, there is a way to set the camber right by putting in a screw/nut.Dont know much about the 'nut job' as I have never tried that but there are threads on this forum giving details on that.The only hitch is that the 'nut job' is that its a temporary fix.A few potholes and the nut may come off.

But I will update you after I get my job done at the service centre.

Last edited by roms : 26th January 2007 at 17:57.
Old 26th January 2007, 18:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

See my thread on camber -> Camber Problem
Old 27th January 2007, 02:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

@roms, moralfibre, Thanks, Guys! This is helpful information.
Old 27th January 2007, 10:43   #7
BHPian

From what I know,the camber in vehicles that have a fixed setting can be corrceted,albeit in a crude way.What mechanics usually do is slot in a undersized nut-bolt for the front strut and the resultant 'play' that is achieved is used to correct the camber.Have seen it being done successfully on a M800.
Old 27th January 2007, 11:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
@roms, moralfibre, Thanks, Guys! This is helpful information.
RX in Pune there are some guys who will drill the upper bolt of your strut sideways to make it oblong and slot in a bolt to get +ve camber. Usually people face a -ve camber problem. Be really careful when you get this done since a slight mistake can lead to worn out tyre shoulders on your car. If you need any more help in getting this done by experts in Pune drop me a pm, i'll be glad to help.
Old 27th January 2007, 18:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

I got the camber adjustment done today. Let's see how it works.
Old 12th February 2007, 01:52   #10
BHPian

RX,what exactly did the guys do for correcting your camber ? I think it should be the 'nut job' since the authorised service centre use that technique as well.According to them,camber cannot be adjusted on fiats.So the only way is the 'nutjob'.

I have a -ve reading on mine as well,-1.24 for the left and -1.32 on the right. The guys at the service centre are of the opinion that camber adjustment at this point of time as there isn't significant wear on the tyres and there wont be much difference in the handling even with this reading.According to them, anything above -2.00 would pose a problem.The recommended camber setting according to fiat is -0.34.
I somehow dont find a difference in handling when i'm driving alone,but I do find the steering a little fidgety and vague with 5 people on board.I think I should go ahead and get mine fixed even if those guys have advised against it.What say ?

Last edited by roms : 12th February 2007 at 01:56.
Old 12th February 2007, 02:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I could not exactly figure out how they did it. But, this guy went down and fixed up the camber by loosening and tightening something. I could see the camber readings changing on the screen.

I had checked with couple of other wheel care centers and they said it is not possible. But, the dealer recommended this particular shop and he was able to do it. It's now -0.26 and -0.39 (or something). (According to his software, the recommended setting for Petra is -0.29).

Keep monitoring tread wear at the extreme inner side of the tyre.
Old 12th February 2007, 09:42   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had checked with couple of other wheel care centers and they said it is not possible. But, the dealer recommended this particular shop and he was able to do it. It's now -0.26 and -0.39 (or something). (According to his software, the recommended setting for Petra is -0.29).
Which dealer is this RX?
Old 12th February 2007, 10:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Which dealer is this RX?
Ashwamegh. Sandeep recommended this tyre shop to me and I trust his judgement.

Last edited by RX135 : 12th February 2007 at 10:18.
Old 12th February 2007, 16:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
But, this guy went down and fixed up the camber by loosening and tightening something. I could see the camber readings changing on the screen.
Thanks for the info buddy.Did he mention anything about tightening or loosening the ' tie rod end' or 'threading' as they normally call it?And did you find any change in the handling after correcting the camber?

I think I should get mine corrected as well since I dont enjoy the handling of the car as I used to.
Old 12th February 2007, 17:34   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ashwamegh. Sandeep recommended this tyre shop to me and I trust his judgement.
Reframe my question, I wanted to know the shop where you got it done?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks