Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 19:25   #1
BHPian

Can the DiCOR engine on an Indigo be replaced with a TDi engine?

Folks,

A friend of mine is eyeing a sparingly used (less than 50k Kms) Indigo DiCOR - but the problem is with the engine which has had many problems in the recent months. Is it possible to replace the DiCOR engine with a TDi engine? The current owner seems to be keen in selling it cheap because of repeat problems with the DiCOR engine.
Old 1st March 2012, 19:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Can the DiCOR engine on an Indigo be replaced with a TDi engine?

IMHO a swapped engine shall also give troubles. Add to that the effort and money to get a decent engine + mechanic to do the job well.

Spending such time + money shall rectify whatever problems are there with the Dicor. No point going for an engine swap.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 19:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
Is it possible to replace the DiCOR engine with a TDi engine?
Best people to check with is the T.A.S.S. TML does offer engine swaps. Speak to a few T.A.S.S, esp ones whom you know.

Better still - try for a CR4 in place of the DiCOR, or else try for the TDi.

Last edited by condor : 1st March 2012 at 20:02.
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:37   #4
BHPian

TASS have the option of RECon Engines. You should be able to get a TDi or the CR4 as well. Call customer support for this.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:13   #5
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
Folks,

A friend of mine is eyeing a sparingly used (less than 50k Kms) Indigo DiCOR - but the problem is with the engine which has had many problems in the recent months. Is it possible to replace the DiCOR engine with a TDi engine? The current owner seems to be keen in selling it cheap because of repeat problems with the DiCOR engine.
I have a 07 Indigo Dicor lx model , while it has a few problems when I drove the TDi version it seemed underpowered . The bhp of both these engines is the same but peak torque in the dicor is at 1300 rpm vs about 2300 rpm in the TDi version which makes the TDi sluggish as compared to the dicor. Also I have noticed that quite a few critical components are different than the TDi engine including the ecu etc ... which when you will try to replace will increase your cost .The engine bay of both these cars looks quite different . The indigo dicor ecu is delphi . IMHO try to repair the dicor from a good TASS and it will be relatively trouble free . 48500 km trouble free till today . There will always be some small niggles but that is TATA for you .

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2012 at 11:46.
anky is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Best people to check with is the T.A.S.S. TML does offer engine swaps. Speak to a few T.A.S.S, esp ones whom you know.

Better still - try for a CR4 in place of the DiCOR, or else try for the TDi.
+1 to that. I agree, the reconditioned aggregates - short engine block are priced reasonably and moreover carry a warranty, check up tata's website for the same. It would however be helpful to understand what are the engine problems the current owner is facing. Sometimes it is just the unadultrated and pure ineptitude of TASS at play.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 2nd March 2012 at 21:57.
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 04:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dicor are not unreliable, all the Tata lineup now uses Dicor and its working well. There must be some problem which can be sorted out by good T.A.S.S. Apart form this Dicor is a newer and better engine no point in swapping it with older engine.

Apart from this i do not think you would be able to do this in Chennai cos its a Bharat Stage 3 city and TDI was not a Stage 3 compliant engine.
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

I assume the car is out of warranty.

But take the car to a good TASS to find out what exactly is wrong with the DiCOR unit and whether its economically feasible to fix it before taking a decision on the transplant.
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Dicor are not unreliable, all the Tata lineup now uses Dicor and its working well.
The early DiCORs did not do well - the car as a whole. Even if the CR unit was fine, there were other issues.

One example is the Indigo Grande XL that belongs to a fellow member in Solapur - an important connector keeps melting, so ignition / head lamps are affected. And that part has failed in many other cars, as mentioned by my mechanic. For those cars where the ignition was affected, what would you do with a car that would not start ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

If the problem is fuel system related(common rail, fuel pump etc.,) even if you replace all the components, cost will be cheaper than a new engine. So if the price is really low, go for it. Max cost of all engine repair(common rail, ECU, FP replacement) will be around 1.2L
Old 5th March 2012, 11:49   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Factory fit is factory fit, especially with modern cars and their complicated electricals.

I highly recommend that your friend gets rid of the Indigo Dicor, and buy a used Indigo with the engine that he wants. This way, he stays within his budget and gets the engine of choice. Though, I must add, don't expect the Indigo TDI to be very reliable.

Say, why not ask him to consider an upgrade to the Fiat-powered Manza too?
Old 5th March 2012, 12:54   #12
BHPian

Buying the old DICOR engine on indigo may not be a good option. First of all it had lot of design faults especially cylinder head, fuel rail etc and is out of production also. TASS should be able to do the job but might be expensive. Work on the economics before finalizing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks