Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 11:02   #1
BHPian

Kaput Skoda : Brand new Laura AC & Electronics issues

Hello Guys!

The Skoda woes continues in my extended family. After the ECU issue faced by my brother in law's Fabia (Read : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...new-fabia.html) which was sorted after escalations to Skoda Aurangabad, my wife's uncle has issue with his brand new Laura Automatic.

The car was delivered on Friday 2nd March, after a lot of haggle and arguements regarding the date of delivery because of the I dont care attitude of Asset Auto Pune, once the payment was done.

He went to Kolhapur the next day and while returning suddenly all the warning lights started flashing. He stopped and turned off the ignition and called me. I told him to contact the Skoda Helpline but since there was network issue he could not get through. I told him restart the car and see if the flashing happens again. It did not happen and he could get back to Pune without any issue. Since it was a Sunday the Skoda workshop was closed, so could not get in touch with them. Sunday evening his driver had gone to get the Sun Films fitted and while coming back, again the flashing started and the AC conked off and no cooling was happening.

The next day had a call with the SA and he said that they had too many cars to service and that we should take a proper appointment before the car is attended. I told them that it is a brand new car and this sort of thing is not expected. We are a Skoda family and have purchased atleast 4-5 cars till date and we expect some service from them. The guy finally relented and his tone was like he is doing a favour, said we can drop off the car on Tuesday. We told him he better get his act together and send his driver and collect the car and fix it and deliver it back. We have spent a good 18 lacs on the car and he was buttering us all the way before the payment was done.

The car has been collected by Asset Auto, but no alternate transport was provided. Its almost 2 days and theny have not been able to diagnose the issue. We are really tired of Skoda and even after spending a lot of hard earned money we have faced pathetic service and appaling attitude of the dealers. Before you guys beat me to a pulp the car was booked and payment was done before consulting me, else I would have never recommended Skoda. Considering writing to Skoda Aurangabad if we get no reply in the next 2 days and also legal action if needed.

Last edited by noopster : 6th March 2012 at 17:34. Reason: As requested
Old 6th March 2012, 11:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kaput Skoda : Brand new Laura AC & Electronics issues

I have nothing much to say on this topic, as you are already know what all options are there to handle the matter with Skoda as you have experienced in the past.

After reading all these horror stories I have learnt one thing, whenever someone asks me about advice on new cars and if Skoda is one of the option, the first thing I advice is to mark it out of the list.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 11:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess the number of complaints is increasing and is alarming as well. When i first saw the Laura (the old gen), i just fell in love with it. i always thought of buying a Skoda someday. i had an opportunity when i was buying a used car, however i had read a lot of horror stories and hence settled for a 10 year old OHC Vtec instead.

If you approach the consumer forum, does it really help? or is it a case of an individual Vs a corporate where the corporate gets away?
Old 6th March 2012, 11:33   #4
BHPian

@Racer_X, this is sad. Asset Auto has been goofing up for a long time now.

I wonder why Skoda doesnt close this dealer. Their A.S.S has been known all around & dont have much of a setup to handle service.

God Bless Skoda. I just hope someone from Skoda reads this threads & acts accodingly.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh Boy! Here we go again. Looks like some faulty electronics. You should be able to get it rectified under warranty. Such issues are not unheard of with other car makers. It really is too early to be considering legal action.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 11:47   #6
BHPian

How can the SA say that there are lot of cars for service? They should attend to this car on a priority. Please update us after diagonisis is done.

The more i read about these horror stories, more the distance of owning a skoda increases.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
How can the SA say that there are lot of cars for service? They should attend to this car on a priority. Please update us after diagonisis is done.

The more i read about these horror stories, more the distance of owning a skoda increases.
I have made a promise to myself - NEVER TO BUY A SKODA!

Will be talking to the SA in the evening and will update accordingly.

I feel it might be a fuse issue.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:16   #8
BHPian

I guess skoda appoints their staff on the basis of "how arrogant" can you be to the cutomers once you sell the vehicle.

Sick of hearing these skoda issues, i recently adviced a friend to buy the vento over the rapid. Although reluctant at first, he was convinced when he checked out some horror reviews on teambhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post

Will be talking to the SA in the evening and will update accordingly.

Fuse issue on a new car ? and the ac conking off ? id love to hear what story they cook for this misfortune !

Maybe we should start a thread on Skoda Horror Stories and their innovative yet exceptional excuses !

Apart, racer_X, dont hesitate to take legal action if they try screwing with you, ie if you have all the patience and time.

Good luck !

Last edited by seedyk : 6th March 2012 at 12:21.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Oh Boy! Here we go again. Looks like some faulty electronics. You should be able to get it rectified under warranty. Such issues are not unheard of with other car makers. It really is too early to be considering legal action.
Spot on Santosh, its really too early to be considering legal action. Indeed it seems like a minor issue which should get resolved within warranty, but then the issue here is the attitude displayed by the SA. One would expect better service for a customer buying a premium segment vehicle. But then, this is a very special brand.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:55   #10
BANNED

@racer_X

Indeed disheartening if something like this happens to a brand new premium car. Not expected. Also Asset auto should also take this problem with certainly more concerns.

However, at sametime , it is a machine and can fail, do give them time to work on it. jumping to legal options so quicky will not really serve the purpose. Instead, spend some time with dealer/Skoda after sales - with all possible ways to pressurise them to find out problem and resolve it on priority. It is very dificult to keep all pre-conceived notions about skoda aside and focus on your problem resolution.

My 2 cents.

I have nothing with/against skoda.

Last edited by idea : 6th March 2012 at 12:58.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
You should have already promised this before buying the 2nd SKODA to your family

How ever this also might be a fuse issue also, cos one fuse in the fuse box effect other electrical (my experience).
Old 6th March 2012, 13:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

@racerx - i think it is really important for you folks to be patient and get the issue resolved first. You like it or not, you are now at their mercy and if you have to be condescending, get the issue fixed first. Legal options etc are too long drawn out and are good only after all other known ways of resolving the issue amicably are resolved.
Priority, me-first, premium etc are not the words that matter here. What matters is good service, car back on road at the earliest and good relationship with the A.S.S. guys.
Get your car back in good shape and then lose your cool. And trust me, the only option you have over this dealer is probably another crappy dealer! This guy will at least relent since you bought the car here, no such incentive for the new one.

I can't suggest that you sell away all your skodas but am surprised that you have 4-5 skodas in your family in spite of so many of them facing issues!
Old 6th March 2012, 13:26   #13
BHPian

I wanted to add a recent issue we are having with the Skoda Superb (my father in law's car). If you look at the mail thread, you will understand thier poor service attitude. In the end, we had put a court case against them for the delay / service & from that day we didnt get any call or effort to close the issue.

We clearly understood they are used to legal cases and nor were they going to return the car till the case was over. Since we didnt want to let the car value depreciate, we picked up the car one week (we gave the car on Jan 3rd and we picked it only on March 1) back but with a legal notice that we are holding rights to proceed with the case.

We are taking them head-on and will not let them go. My uncle is a lawyer in Chennai and he has taken it personally to ensure that they pay for thier folly. His view is that as a lawyer if he does not make Skoda pay for its follies what can the general Public do since they do not have the time to go legal.

----- Original Message -----

To: auto car india <mailto:editorial@autocarindia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:10 AM
Subject: RE: Skoda Superb - Service woes

Hi,

Another feather in Skoda's cap!

After we called and reminded on the one week delay, they delivered the Skoda from service yesterday stating "Nothing wrong with the car. We have test driven it". Nor did they give any reason for the error.

So when we tried starting the car, the flash message was "ENGINE FAULT: WORKSHOP" - Picture attached for your reference!

Hope someone is reading my email from Skoda and they do something to put our misery to an end.

Warm regards,

U Rajkumar

From: urajkumar@hotmail.com <mailto:urajkumar@hotmail.com>
To: editorial@autocarindia.com <mailto:editorial@autocarindia.com>
CC: thomas.kuehl@skoda-auto.co.in <mailto:thomas.kuehl@skoda-auto.co.in> ; thomas.kuehl@skoda-auto.com <mailto:thomas.kuehl@skoda-auto.com> ; kuehl.thomas@skoda-auto.co.in <mailto:kuehl.thomas@skoda-auto.co.in> ; kuehl.thomas@skoda-auto.com <mailto:kuehl.thomas@skoda-auto.com> ; recruitment@skoda-auto.co.in <mailto:recruitment@skoda-auto.co.in> ; kamal.basu@skoda-auto.co.in <mailto:kamal.basu@skoda-auto.co.in> ; basu.kamal@skoda-auto.co.in <mailto:basu.kamal@skoda-auto.co.in>
Subject: Skoda Superb - Service woes
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 05:09:22 +0000
Hi,

I am an autocar subscriber for past 2 years and love your magazine. I am writing to you regarding our experience with Skoda which your readers should know.

Car: Skoda Superb
Purchased on: March 2010
Mielage: 18700 KM
Registration number: TN06 A 9595

We had bought a Skoda superb based on your test drives and absolutely loved it. It is tremendous value for money and awesome to drive. However last 2 months has been troublesome. 2 weeks back the battery was dead (it is 2 years old and run for 19000 KM only) which we found weird considering how less we used the car but we changed it on our cost. Last week on Jan 3 suddenly the car stalled in middle of a peak traffic road with multiple failures signals (brake failure, engine failure etc) & with great difficulty we had it towed it to the service center (Chennai).

To our shock, we had lot of customer waiting for the one lonely service advisor who was struggling to manage all of them. Lot of them were shouting due to the long wait and one mechanic had to stepin & pacify the customer. They then told that there is a scan which will tell us the problem but since there were many cars it will take 1 day to even plug & findout. Now it has been more than a week & we are yet to even receive even a single call from them on the status of our vehicle. Without the car, we are spending money on taxi and having a tuff time at home managing our work. With maruti (i have a swift too), i would now have got 10 calls from the service advisor.

When we spend so much & buy a skoda luxury car we expect the same luxury in the service expereince as well. We had the same doubt since we heard a lot of service issues in Skoda but the sales man told us do not worry at all since the SUPERB requires only one maintenance every 15000 KM and based on our usage we will maximum get it serviced only twice in the lifespan we own it. So based on your fantastic review and the sales guy promise we bought the car and i honestly accept that we had a trouble free run for last 2 years till now.

Finally after we went yesterday to showroom they are saying the car is absolutely fine and is running well. After all the warning signals, one week delay we were confused since they didnt give any reason and we wonder if they took the pain to check the root cause of the car engine failure before handing it over to us. they said they will deliver the car today but my uncle is already thinking of selling the car since he is worried if the car will suddenly stall in the middle of the road again.

With this experience we are worried that if this is the kind of service we get for buying a 20+ luxury lakh car, what will happen to the owners of Fabia, Rapid? There is no use of skoda planning multiple launches, increasing number of cars sold in India without doing improving service as a customer either becomes a lifelong customer (or) becomes someone who will never come back to the skoda brand based on the service experience. I became a huge fan of skoda after using the superb but now have my doubts if I will purchase another car from them.

Please inform the Autocar subscribers to think twice before buying a skoda since Skoda service issues are continuing as usual

Warm regards,

U Rajkumar
Attached Thumbnails
Kaput Skoda : Brand new Laura AC & Electronics issues-img2012011100456.jpg  

Last edited by urajkumar : 6th March 2012 at 13:29.
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 14:54   #14
BHPian

It is saddening that even after having n number of horror stories from Skoda India, they are still a part of Indian Automotive scene. They should have been made to pack up their bags and just leave, no questions asked, no answers given.

Just feel like shouting out "Skoda (Simon) go back"
Old 6th March 2012, 14:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry mate! It is 2nd March!
Ouch. A car purchased on 2nd March breaks down within 2-3 days is not good. As others have said, it is too early to take the legal course. Hopefully it some minor electrical problem which should get sorted out. It is the bad attitude of the service people which gets on your nerves.

No matter how much I like Skoda cars, I am not stepping even near to them. Please let us know the outcome of their diagnosis.

Most Viewed