Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 20:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: AC tripping when the car is at a standstill

Ok let me clear the mystery about fans. The swift has only one fan. The fan does not come on as soon as you switch on the AC. The fan running with respect to AC is controlled by the vehicle speed sensor. If the car is below a certain speed and the AC is on then the fan will only come on if the set temperature is not being maintained in the car and the compressor clutch is engaged. If the vehicle is above this set speed then the fan will come on only if the engine is overheating.

Simple way to check if the fan is running is to leave the car idling for 15 - 20 minutes with the AC being off. The fan should run because the car is stationary and the engine is heating up. Then after the fan switches off, switch on the AC. Now the fan should come on. This is the only way of making sure that the fan and all its related components are ok.
vikram_d is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 20:39   #32
BHPian

Hi People,

Glad to see this thread, i have a Santro ELRX (2007). My car is also suffering from the same problem, at idle the Air condition works like a Air Cooler and at speed the Ac is works perfectly.

I have re filled the gas, but no use. When the car is moving and coming to hault, i can hear the compressor trip sounds very frequently. Unlike Esteem or Zen, Santro has only one fan which is prefectly working fine.

Reading the above posts, my doubt is on battery, which came along with the car and hasn't been changed till now.

Amit
Old 10th March 2012, 21:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi People,

Glad to see this thread, i have a Santro ELRX (2007). My car is also suffering from the same problem, at idle the Air condition works like a Air Cooler and at speed the Ac is works perfectly.

I have re filled the gas, but no use. When the car is moving and coming to hault, i can hear the compressor trip sounds very frequently. Unlike Esteem or Zen, Santro has only one fan which is prefectly working fine.

Reading the above posts, my doubt is on battery, which came along with the car and hasn't been changed till now.

Amit
Have you got it checked by Hyundai yet? What do they say?
Old 10th March 2012, 21:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi People,

Amit
My friend's Esteem some years back had the same issue. It turned out that MASS had forgotten to top up the coolant during scheduled service. Topped up the coolant and the issue was resolved.
Old 11th March 2012, 09:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
My friend's Esteem some years back had the same issue. It turned out that MASS had forgotten to top up the coolant during scheduled service. Topped up the coolant and the issue was resolved.
Hi Vassu,

The coolant level is perfectly fine, i have just checked yesterday and it was only replaced 2000km before.

I will visit Hyundai and seek their opinion, but i expect a standard reply, that car has run 67,000 kms so need Type 3 cleaning of AC i.e whole AC unit has to be serviced.

Amit
Old 11th March 2012, 10:10   #36
BHPian

Guys let me clear here about radiator fan again. As vikram _d says swift has one radiator fan. But it comes on independently when a/c is switched on. When a/c is off it works on thermoswitch & operates only at certain temperature. If fan not running while a/c on the a/c will not operate.
Old 11th March 2012, 10:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the AC serviced now that summer is here. Also if you had to refill the refrigerant then it means that there is a leak in the system.

Last edited by vikram_d : 11th March 2012 at 10:35.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:33   #38
BHPian

OK guys, finally visited Maruti Sales and Service, Naraina today.
After the pre-inspection, they found out that the fan was not running at all.
I asked, then why was the car not overheating? As per them, it has not gotten too hot in Delhi yet and the engine kept cold by the air coming in while the car is in motion.

They asked me to leave the car for about 2-3 hours as they will have to check why the fan is not working.

About 2 hrs. i got a call that the car is ready and the total bill is 163 .
I checked with the SA and he said it was just loose wiring which has been fixed, so only labour charged.

So, as of now the problem is solved and yes the AC works even if the car is stand still.

Thanks alot everyone for their help, when i gave my car in today, I already told them that it is not the AC or alternator and they should check the fan... Thanks to Team-BHP.
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 15:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Excellent, glad that everything is sorted out now. Enjoy the AC.
Old 15th March 2012, 16:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up;
Hi All,

I plan to take the car to Maruti Nariana on saturday, just wanted to take forum's advice here.
if you value your money & time please do not go to Maruti Nariana . Your issue will take 3-4 visits and multiple parts will be changed with out doing actual RCA.

Edit : just saw your last post .. you were lucky that issue were identified at T-bhp

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 15th March 2012 at 16:23.
Old 15th March 2012, 16:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Excellent, glad that everything is sorted out now. Enjoy the AC.
Thanks Vikram. Do you think the theory of engin keeping cool with just the air coming in is correct? I drive minimum 60kms( with atleast 20kms one way) in a day and this issue has been there for more than a week and the temperature needle rose to maximimum middle mark in the gauge even in afternoon when the temperature is around 32 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
if you value your money & time please do not go to Maruti Nariana . Your issue will take 3-4 visits and multiple parts will be changed with out doing actual RCA.

Edit : just saw your last post .. you were lucky that issue were identified at T-bhp
Hey, my experience with Nariana has been fine till now. My car has always been serviced there and even if there is an issue, the management officials there are very understanding.

Last edited by revved_up : 15th March 2012 at 16:54.
Old 15th March 2012, 17:06   #42
BHPian

Good to know the results. Pretty economical one.
Old 15th March 2012, 17:19   #43
BHPian

Thanks, but i am doubting this loose wiring theory. Since if the fan was not working at all, the engine should have overheated definately.

I think what they did was, disconected the battery cables, hence flushing the memory and rebooting it and it might have resolved the issue on its own. I am saying this because when i picked the car, i also noticed that the trip meter was back at 0 and all HU settings were also lost.

Maybe experts can comment.
Old 15th March 2012, 18:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Ok let me clear the mystery about fans. The swift has only one fan. The fan does not come on as soon as you switch on the AC. The fan running with respect to AC is controlled by the vehicle speed sensor. If the car is below a certain speed and the AC is on then the fan will only come on if the set temperature is not being maintained in the car and the compressor clutch is engaged. If the vehicle is above this set speed then the fan will come on only if the engine is overheating.
vikram_d, can you kindly quote the source of this information?

In most of the vehicles, the fan starts(albeit at lower speed) when the AC is switched on, irrespective of the speed/rpm.
Old 15th March 2012, 20:38   #45
BHPian

I beg to differ on this. At least in Indica and Figo, The fan comes on only when-

*AC is switched on and the car is @ slow speed (Traffic Jams etc) or standstill
*The car is heated irrespective of the AC on or off due to crawling traffic or any other cooling issue.

Sometimes the fan keeps on operating even after the engine is switched off and the key is not removed or brought at position 0.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks